• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 R1100R indicator lights, fuel sensor, other dumb new owner questions

bboyes

Hi everyone, glad to find this group! I did try googling and searching the group before asking these... A 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary edition, only 10K miles (!) recently found me. Sitting in garage last two years and clearly underused before that. Always wanted a BMW "some day". This was a "I will kick myself forever if I don't buy this" deal. Anyway got it running and found online a complete service manual. But no owners manual came with it. I don't even know what the indicator lights mean (OK, ABS and turn signals I have figured out). Can anyone help with that? All the online links to "owners manual" are scam PDF 'subscriptions' and no local shop has one. Even online there are confusingly three owners manual options.

Since there is no "reserve" petcock I assume some light comes on to warn of low fuel (at what level). Here in the west 70+ miles between gas stations (if they are open!) is common. There is a fuel level sensor in the tank but is it a rheostat to which I could add a real fuel gauge? eBy has a cheap Chinese one (what could go wrong?) which implies there is a fuel level rheostat.

It has the BMW windscreen but back in the day I had a Windjammer SS (sadly not made any more) on a bike I rode all over the US and Canada. It was awesome for touring. This bike is not the RT so I wonder if I could mount a vintage Windjammer on it? Googling suggests this is not a common idea, maybe never done before. Or I could sell this R1100R and get the R1100RT but most of those used have a ton of miles. Anyone want to trade for an RT? The windscreen air seems to hit my helmet a bit lower than I'd like so am looking at the "laminar lip" as an option.

The tires (Pilot 3) are in good shape and seem still supple (it was always garaged) but 2008 date code. The 18" rear tire is common to BMW but not others. I am looking at Pirelli Angel GT tires from Revzilla and getting the tools to change and balance them myself.

I'd like to get crash bars and make some way to have foot pegs more out in front. I am 6'2" and the current peg and seat location has my knees bent more than I'd like. The seat is in the middle setting now, I will try raising it.

BTW this R1100R seems like a really well-engineered machine. The moment I sat on it I felt at home. Even for its size and weight it feels surprisingly nimble once moving. Gobs of torque. Sorry, I am preaching to the choir now... Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20190601_200553.jpg
    IMG_20190601_200553.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 95
Welcome to the forum:wave

Sharp R Classic, the other R's have cast wheels:thumb

The fuel warning yellow light comes on with 1 gallon left...typically. We have a 95 model and at lower altitude gets 45-50mpg, higher altitudes closer to 55. It is a float arm set up. Ours gets 250 miles on a good day at altitude, typically looking for fuel on average just past 200.Seems the light comes on just past 200 miles.

The RT has a gauge and a space in tank for a separate unit it comes in. Have not seen one on the Roadster and once you get used to the light and your range using odometer, no biggie.

They updated the 1100 model in 1998-9 with a chrome three gauge cluster the 1150' s adopted so maybe a difference in operators manuals( can confirm, I have different manuals from 95 & 99)
You can still get some operator manuals from a dealer

I personally would update the 11 year old tires
Other things are the rubber brake lines...replace with SS braided lines like Spieglers. They will fail at some point...not usually at your schedule.
The fuel filter is in the tank and the internal hoses also will break down from years of ethanol and time. There is a u-shaped hose that is goofily high price at the dealer, but where the cracked hose shows up more often

Replace the alternator belt!

Have you adjusted the saddle mounts under the seat with the rubber bumper? That model has three positions and the hex wrench should be in a slot under the driver seat. I am 6-1 and with in high position feels OK, in low position not so much ( saw you have in middle.

Can't help on windscreens , have seen different setups on roadsters but imagine harder to locate nowadays.

There are several aftermarket cylinder guards, some tubular, some used the cover bolts which is maybe not best design in case of a serious drop.

I'll end my ramble with...still a cool spoked wheel Roadster with super low miles!

:laugh
I'm back. Be careful lifting the fuel tank to access battery!

There is a flat 4 wire connector on right side between fuel lines and tank...unplug before removing the single tank mount bolt or you can short the tank to battery positive...not a good thing as it often fries the wiring going thru the pump plate.
Removing tank on this model requires clamps on the lines and mark orientation with a zip tie before separating as well as the two small vent lines in same location.

And that 18" rear tire makes it harder to find tires across some brands..they fixed that on the 1150 with a 17"

Sounds like my story on a 1997 I recently purchased.
I like to have an owner's manual, too. It is mostly gibberish, but it does have little nuggets in it (like what the instrument lights mean!).
I've mostly owned older cycles, and I always search on E-bay. You may find a repro, or an original. Keep searching. For my year, there were two manuals.
One is called, "Riders Manual" and one is called, "Technical Manual". Tech manual has tire changing procedure and specs, etc. The Rider's manual has safety stuff. Mostly useless. My two little books are original and have writing in them and got wet at some point. 30 bucks? I'm happy I have them.

Riding in the West

A lot of people don't get that. I've been in Texas (or Kansas) where it is 70 mi to next station, and not a sign to warn you.
According to my manual, my light comes on with 1 gal left. That is about 40 miles. I have a digital gauge on the right. Never found one on a cycle that is anything more than a guide. If you are planning to tour right off the bat, fill up before 150. Over the first months of tooling around, push it up to 200+ until you finally run out. Close to home! Then you will know.:thumb

A lot of people don't get that. I've been in Texas (or Kansas) where it is 70 mi to next station, and not a sign to warn you.
According to my manual, my light comes on with 1 gal left. That is about 40 miles. I have a digital gauge on the right. Never found one on a cycle that is anything more than a guide. If you are planning to tour right off the bat, fill up before 150. Over the first months of tooling around, push it up to 200+ until you finally run out. Close to home! Then you will know.:thumb

"The fuel warning yellow light comes on with 1 gallon left...typically. We have a 95 model and at lower altitude gets 45-50mpg, higher altitudes closer to 55. It is a float arm set up. Ours gets 250 miles on a good day at altitude, typically looking for fuel on average just past 200.Seems the light comes on just past 200 miles."

The yellow light starts to come on depending on bike angle at 200 kilometers, and is on all the time at 250. Kilometers, not miles.

I have the same bike, with alloy wheels.

Enjoy!

Parabellum makes a wonderful fairing for these bikes. I recently installed one on my R1150R. I also had a Windjammer on my first BMW, a R75/5. The Windjammer created a lot of air swirling up from the bottom where the Parabellum doesn't. You can purchase the fairing with a windshield as tall as you want.

Back