• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warm N Safe question.

judbmw

Ok Boys, I need a little guidance here. I just ordered a warm n safe jacket today. Not sure about the heat troller. Do I attach it to my battery terminal? I've only had a BMW old one that plugs right into accessory socket.

Do I just order the single (no other heated gear) with the remote? You guys are always great to help... thanks in advance.

I not only don't wrench, I don't own a wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a Wethead the easiest thing to do is attach the harness that came with the jacket to the bike battery terminals.
If the jacket is the only heated item you plan to buy the single controller is all you need.

My wife and I have a heated jacket and gloves and get along fine with a single controller.

Howdy,
As stated earlier go with a direct connection to the battery. Make sure the fuse is 10 amps. My suggestion is to go with the wireless blue tooth controller, heat troller, less of a load on your battery, less wires to deal with and you can stick the controller just about anywhere using 3M weather proof Velcro. I have mine on the left side top fairing pocket.
Later,
Norm

WNS sells an adapter cable to go from the BMW power outlet to the coax connector of the heat-troller. You just need to make sure your BMW/Powerlmet receptacle is wired direct to battery and not through CanBus system.

Best,
DG

Howdy,
As stated earlier go with a direct connection to the battery. Make sure the fuse is 10 amps. My suggestion is to go with the wireless blue tooth controller, heat troller, less of a load on your battery, less wires to deal with and you can stick the controller just about anywhere using 3M weather proof Velcro. I have mine on the left side top fairing pocket.
Later,
Norm

I agree with Norm, wireless is the way to go. One wire does connect from the bike to the jacket but it's much easier then the others. A single controller works fine for me, Jacket with heated gloves.

I have a fuse box http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ connecting stuff like this is easy (hot all the time or off with the bike).

Jay

Seeing as you asked, purchase the dual......easier now than later. Connection- right to the battery (fuseblock kinda deal).
I don't have any experience with the wireless controller option but the set up sounds interesting. I had my Gerbings on today while on the ATV in New Hampster. Toasty :)
OM

I have the Warm 'n Safe, have it wired directly to the battery (through the same pigtail I use for my Battery Tender) and love it. I did purchase the dual wireless controller so I can also plug in my heated gloves.

I went back and forth whether to go with the wireless controller, but have found it to be very convenient and would purchase it again. I keep it velcroed to the side of my tank bag, which makes it easy to access.

I have the Warm 'n Safe, have it wired directly to the battery (through the same pigtail I use for my Battery Tender) and love it. I did purchase the dual wireless controller so I can also plug in my heated gloves.

I went back and forth whether to go with the wireless controller, but have found it to be very convenient and would purchase it again. I keep it velcroed to the side of my tank bag, which makes it easy to access.

+1

Wire the coxial pigtail to the battery and get on with life.

I don't have any experience with the wireless controller option but the set up sounds interesting. I had my Gerbings on today while on the ATV in New Hampster. Toasty :)
OM

The only downside of the wireless (other than a bit more cost) is the receiver that goes in your jacket liner or vest pocket. It's not huge though. I used to put a wired dual controller on with cable ties in the fall and take it off in the spring. Now all I need to do is pull the power cable from under the seat and pop the controller on the velcro. (Mine is on the brake fluid reservoir.)

Hi,
I also used the 3M water proof velcro to secure the receiver to the inside of my heated liner. On my Gerbings I mounted it next to the power inputs. Gives you the ability to remove it when needed. One important note, clean both surfaces that will receive the adhesive side of the velcro with 90% IPA before applying. Will ensure a strong long lasting connection.
Norm

Hi,
I also used the 3M water proof velcro to secure the receiver to the inside of my heated liner. On my Gerbings I mounted it next to the power inputs. Gives you the ability to remove it when needed. One important note, clean both surfaces that will receive the adhesive side of the velcro with 90% IPA before applying. Will ensure a strong long lasting connection.
Norm

90% IPA? Wow, that's strong stuff. Best we can get round here is 4.5%. But why would you clean a bike with beer anyway?

Maybe the laws are different up north, but here, we can get 91% IPA in the first aid section of any supermarket or variety/drug store (CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).
I wouldn't want my bike to smell like old beer, but I've used alcohol occasionally on stubborn bugs and road glop.

Hi,
Iso Propyl Alcohol, as stated available at most drug stores. Also a good solvent to have on hand to clean with too. No beer died during this response to the thread!
Later,
Norm

Hi,
Iso Propyl Alcohol, as stated available at most drug stores. Also a good solvent to have on hand to clean with too. No beer died during this response to the thread!
Later,
Norm

Iso Propyl Alcohol is also what we used in a shop I worked in to lubricate while cutting/working aluminum else it would heat and jam drill bits and saw blades. Handy stuff - just don't drink it.

The only downside of the wireless (other than a bit more cost) is the receiver that goes in your jacket liner or vest pocket. It's not huge though. I used to put a wired dual controller on with cable ties in the fall and take it off in the spring. Now all I need to do is pull the power cable from under the seat and pop the controller on the velcro. (Mine is on the brake fluid reservoir.)
Sounds good :thumb
Where ya' been?
Gary

Thanks for the advice... think I will go for the wireless remote and single controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back