• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warm/Hot weather riding gear

isaacnida

I live in Oklahoma where it gets toasty in the summer months, is there any good riding jackets that allow good airflow? I have a trailmaster suit, while good for cooler days not enough air flow when hot, even with A/C on. K1600 with fold out wings in front, they help but wonder if there's anything better.

If you don't want to sacrifice protection, I too would highly recommend Motoport kevlar mesh as well. Held offer some fairly well ventilated gloves. That gear serves me well in NC summer heat.

My wife and I have BMW Airshell jackets and pants. They are well ventilated and have good armor protection. As a bonus, there's a liner for cooler weather. We're quite happy with them.

Heat out long sleeve under a Revit eclipse, just started wearing it in high 90's to low 100's the last few weeks. Came with level 1 protection which I upgraded. Jackets very light, flows air like you're not wearing a jacket [ surprised me a little as my last mesh jacket was good but not this good at airflow ].

I'm in for some 110-118F weather here in another month, we'll see how it works when it gets toasty. So far, I'm liking the airflow.

Have both a Motoport mesh suit and the BMW AirShell and both flow air well. Bottom line is that the bike you ride will have a much greater impact on air flow. What surprised me was that I did not notice much difference between wearing the Motoport mesh pants (mesh front stretch fabric back) and wearing the BMW moto jeans. In cooler weather then you notice when you wear mesh pants.

Have both a Motoport mesh suit and the BMW AirShell and both flow air well. Bottom line is that the bike you ride will have a much greater impact on air flow. What surprised me was that I did not notice much difference between wearing the Motoport mesh pants (mesh front stretch fabric back) and wearing the BMW moto jeans. In cooler weather then you notice when you wear mesh pants.

I rode with the revit mesh one morning at 58F, that's when I noticed how much air it flows as well. On the warmer days, I can't tell as well but I know it's flowing lots of air based on that cooler ride morning.

Cooler Riding with the Klim Marrakesh Gear

Had the first "hot enough" day to road test my new Klim Marrakesh jacket and pants. Four hour ride with temps between 77° F. and 86° F. I was reasonably hydrated and very comfortable for the ride. I'm on a '21 RT which does an excellent job of protecting the rider from the elements, even when you want the elements to get at 'ya. I hate the heat, really hate any humidity, and tend to run hot. This gear is very $$$ but I am glad I now have it.

The Marrakesh gear seems to be a good balance between lightweight materials and good impact / abrasion resistance. Features the D30 "Ghost" armor which is surprisingly thin but super breathable stuff. No way this stuff offers the same protection as the standard D30 armor, but it is there. Very comfortable to wear, well-sized for a slightly neglected American body. The fabric flows the airstream fairly well -- not quite as much flow as the visibly open "ballistic" mesh usually seen, but pretty close. Overall lighter and more comfortable for me than the ballistic mesh stuff I have (Firstgear, Alpinestars).

Klim says it has a DWR coating so it should shed a brief shower along the route. I carry the Klim Forecast rain overjacket and overpants in case the brief shower become a secular downpour -- have not needed to use them yet, but they do fit well and easily over the Marrakesh gear and are extremely well-built.

Yeah, I am a Klim fanboy. The gear is among the most expensive you can find. Every piece I have has been well made and super functional, is bombproof and lasts forever. "Buy once, cry once."

Just remember that if you have too much airflow you will dehydrate a lot faster too, so keep up with the electrolytes as well...YMMV

Just remember that if you have too much airflow you will dehydrate a lot faster too, so keep up with the electrolytes as well...YMMV

Very true, I've bought a vented cordura armored jacket and tried it in 105-107F last year. I'll take the airflow from the new jacket over opening a few vents on the non mesh jacket and sweltering inside. Just have to stop a little more often to re-soak the cooling vest, long sleeve heat out., skull cap. I'll get 50-60 minutes of relief from the heat. Another 10 and it's time to stop and rehydrate the items. I'm prone to heat exhaustion, need that air. If I stop more often than otherwise, no problem

Up to 95F or so, the other jacket works fairly well, at 105-118F, that just doesn't work for me. Not enough airflow for my tastes in that type of heat.

Very true, I've bought a vented cordura armored jacket and tried it in 105-107F last year. I'll take the airflow from the new jacket over opening a few vents on the non mesh jacket and sweltering inside. Just have to stop a little more often to re-soak the cooling vest, long sleeve heat out., skull cap. I'll get 50-60 minutes of relief from the heat. Another 10 and it's time to stop and rehydrate the items. I'm prone to heat exhaustion, need that air. If I stop more often than otherwise, no problem

Up to 95F or so, the other jacket works fairly well, at 105-118F, that just doesn't work for me. Not enough airflow for my tastes in that type of heat.

Yeah you have to work out what works best for you, as we are all different in coping with the heat. Wearing a jacket is still better than a T-shirt.
Trick is to keep the sun off your skin, as that will cause all kinds of issues and heatstroke can be right around the corner before you know it.. Just think what the Bedouins wear in the desert....

There was a very nice article by Tom Austin written up in the Iron Butt Magazine (RIP) a few years ago about heat management while riding.

A link to the article: https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_hot.pdf

"In Summary… The magic number is 93. Below 93°F, it’s fairly easy to stay cool on a motorcycle as long as you are moving fast enough to get some wind against your skin for convective cooling. A mesh riding suit feels great.
Above 93°F, it’s a different world. The wind is no longer your friend. For long distance riding in temperature higher than 93°F, you need to (1) minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast; (2) wear wicking undergarments, including a helmet liner; (3) carry an adequate supply of cool water and drink frequently; and (4) insulate any parts of your body exposed to engine heat or radiator discharge."

Back