• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

valve noise?

Awww, that's a nice post.
I feel kinda dorky going on and on about my bike but this is probably the place to do it.

It was idling really rough last night and making some noises. I thought for sure it was piston slap or something serious so I towed it out to the best mechanic in minnesota and it turns out the timing chain is loose and it is out of sync.

I left it there so I can start with a clean slate knowing it is up to snuff and it will be ready by next week.

i have intentions of learning how to work on this bike and fix and maintain it myself but I have to pick my battles and pay a pro. Just like when people pay me to work on their home.

It will be so much more relaxing for my first long ride knowing I wasn't the one doing the fixing before we left :) Plus it gives me more time to paint the faring!

Thanks for listening, my wife really does not give a crap about my bike drama.

Awww, that's a nice post.
I feel kinda dorky going on and on about my bike but this is probably the place to do it.

It was idling really rough last night and making some noises. I thought for sure it was piston slap or something serious so I towed it out to the best mechanic in minnesota and it turns out the timing chain is loose and it is out of sync.

I left it there so I can start with a clean slate knowing it is up to snuff and it will be ready by next week.

i have intentions of learning how to work on this bike and fix and maintain it myself but I have to pick my battles and pay a pro. Just like when people pay me to work on their home.

It will be so much more relaxing for my first long ride knowing I wasn't the one doing the fixing before we left :) Plus it gives me more time to paint the faring!

Thanks for listening, my wife really does not give a crap about my bike drama.

I find it much better to read about someone else's trials and tribulations than to post about my own. We're here for ya, Man.:wave

Tom

Wow so that will probably make a definite improvement getting the timing chain squared away and frankly I was a bit skeered ferya riding off with an unknown noise. Nice going.

List of what he found wrong with my bike:

-Forks put together wrong so they were "pinching". The right side was pulled in tight to the caliper
-stripped threads on the right side of the center stand
-Timing chain
-rear rotor(i had bought a rotor a couple months ago that I intended to put in)
-brake fluid needed to be flushed
-leak at the neutral switch
-bad wiring at the diode board
-wrong sized spacer somewhere by the splines
-he also changed all the fluids
-fixed the odometer
-adjusted the valves
-set the points
-balanced the carbs
-rewired one horn
-tightened the adjuster on the front
-he also talked me into returning the omega electronic ignition because with this model's points are supposed to last forever.

the best part is that he will be done tomorrow morning. Parts and labor: $750. totally worth it to me.

I have the rest of my life to learn how to work on these things so thinking I can do it all in my first year is a little, umm, arrogant?

Pretty thorough, detail-oriented going over - regardless of the $$, it always feels good when its done and you know your bike is together right...

The problem with buying old bikes, unless you have documentation for the work done (maintenance history), is that you do not know exactly what you're getting into. I feel records and receipts are the most important thing about purchasing an old bike. Believe me, I have personal experience. Trumps cosmetics everytime!

You did the right thing, having the mechanic go over the bike ,and it was money well spent. Still, not a lot wrong there though. And now you have peace of mind. I wish you lots of great rides!

minneapolis airhead

Missmuddy - I see you live in Minneapolis. There a bunch of airheads here. We have a google group Minnesota Airheads. We meet sometimes for tech days (help each other work on bikes) camp outs (one coming up labor day weekend) and attend other bike events in the area together. I live near the U of M.
If any of this interests you search google groups for our group and sign up.
Steven Handeland

As you've already discovered, BMW-land has a great infrastructure. And there are lots of BMW riders out there who love their old airheads. So, yep, this forum is one place to ask questions, and none of them are "dumb." Here's a bit of advice about all this:

item 1: yes, it's good to work on your own machine. You'll know it inside-out, and eventually know all the little tricks and techniques to keep it purring. Airheads lend themselves to "backyard" futzing. There aren't a lot of secret black boxes to go ftz, just whirring shafts and mechanical bits.

item 2: Lay in a shop manual for your model, and spend a lot of time reading it. Go through every chapter and keep studying until you understand what's being said. Pat yourself on the back whenever you find a photo printed upside-down.
Make notes to update your manual. For instance, latest wisdom on valve lash is .006" in. and .008" ex. The old spec back in the good old days was tighter. Cross out the old spec in the book and write in the new spec. Same for everything else you find, including torque values.

item 3. Anton, Matt Parkhouse, Paul Glaves, Oak Okleshenand others just love to keep BMWs running. Study the columns in Owners News, and transfer the notes to your shop manual. If you're going to be running an airhead, consider joining the Airhead Beemer Club. (www.airheads.org) Oak responds to questions in every issue of Airmail.

item 4. Every mechanic screws up, or knows how to lie with a straight face. You will screw up from time to time, more when you're on the steep part of the learning curve. The good news is that there are fixes for anything you screwed up--because there have been others before you who did the same thing. That's why they make Helicoils, Timeserts, and other fixes. You can either just keep trying things and have the occasional screw-up that needs fixing, or you can lean on others for help and education. Take advantage of any "tech days" where fellow airhead enthusiasts can help you with various service tasks or repairs.

pmdave

I'll assume you are going to the AMCA in Davenport and then the Springfield Mile. I live near Peoria and have ridden airheads for 20+ years. If you want me to have a listen or do a check up, or if you wanna hear how a couple of well sorted airheads sound feel free to stop by, or ring me up when you get to Davenport. I am planning to make a day trip on Friday. 309-251-0877. James A. Strickland

Just had the valves done (adjusted) on my 1970 r60/5 at Hermies BMW in Port Clinton PA. The service tech before I even left said I was going to notice a big difference in how the bike sounded. ( a tappy valve is a happy valve) He said everything was in great shape in the motor and I did notice a big difference in the sound which he figured I would but that is how it was supposed to sound. It's really different and I let a lot of airhead guys listen to it at 4 winns rally a few weeks ago and they said it was one of the best sounding airheads they had ever heard even though it sounds a little weird to me. I'll run it by a few at the finger lakes this weekend too but it seems to be a better running bike all around.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

This thread has a life of it's own. It just seems to keep going and going, like the Energizer Bunny! Get airheads talking about valves and it is likely to go on for awhile.

feeler gauges from Ted Porter

Bought these slick gauges, the exhaust is .20 mm which translates to .0079 inches-close enough. However the intake is .10mm which is .004"
That is a little .002 less than what is recommended for my bike.

I set the exhaust a with a little drag and set the intake a little loose. Since I havent seen evidence of recession (mainly exhaust problem)? I feel like it will be alright,

Anyone else set their intakes at .004?

Attachments

• FGKAH[1].jpg
    FGKAH[1].jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 80
"I'll assume you are going to the AMCA in Davenport and then the Springfield Mile. I live near Peoria and have ridden airheads for 20+ years. If you want me to have a listen or do a check up, or if you wanna hear how a couple of well sorted airheads sound feel free to stop by, or ring me up when you get to Davenport. I am planning to make a day trip on Friday. 309-251-0877. James A. Strickland"

Yes I am. I did get my bike all straightened out. Thanks for the offer. I might look you up anyhow. Thanks!

Have a great Labor day weekend all!

I used to when I first got my /7. I now set the intakes at 0.006 inches or 0.15mm. I do the same on my /2.
Yeah, me too! Matt Parkhouse recommended this setting in a recent issue of ON.

Back