• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve Clearances on a 2017 R1200 GSA

bobs_one

Just finished checking the valve clearance on my GSA. Everything was within spec with the measured clearances more towards the smaller limit (tighter) rather than the larger clearance limit.

I always assumed the clearances would reduce over time as valves "wore in" but a friend recently told me that with these bikes the clearances get larger with time/use.

Is that correct?

Just finished checking the valve clearance on my GSA. Everything was within spec with the measured clearances more towards the smaller limit (tighter) rather than the larger clearance limit.

I always assumed the clearances would reduce over time as valves "wore in" but a friend recently told me that with these bikes the clearances get larger with time/use.

Is that correct?

My experience is with three wetheads. 1. 53,000 miles, no change in any valve. 2. 43,000 miles, one exhaust valve 0.01mm tighter. 3. 13,000 miles, in spec.

Is that correct?

Valves wear tight on these bikes. That is why it is needed to check so it does not hammer your valve seats down.

15 RT never changed from new. 17.5 GS exhaust valves on tight side from new. I changed all 4 to make them closer to mid range as two got tight in 12K Have the 30K coming up on the GS to have a look again.

I have replaced two shims on my 2016 RS, both times going one size thicker.

The first time was at the 12K check. Since this was the first check I did not have a baseline to compare with, so I don't know for sure if it increased or decreased, but if it was in spec when new then it must have increased.

The second was at 48K and the clearance was right at the upper limit, so I went one size thicker to bring it back to the middle of the range. It definitely increased from previous measurements.

Back