• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Used f800gs or new f750gs

dimitri0411

Hi I’m looking at getting a second bike. I have the option of getting a new bmw F750gs or a used f800gs with low miles. Looking for input on which you would recommend. I will be doing a little of off roading nothing to extreme. Thank you!!

The engine, it's all about the engine. 800 and 750 have similar numbers horsepower wise, but 750 has edge on torque. However, the firing order adds character to the 750 experience....major difference in power delivery, feel and civility. The Rotax (800) engine balancing system created too much buzz. The Loncin engine is a much smoother, non fatiguing power source. This and the 750's advanced electronics, from running info, to shifting ability, to improved MPG, to connectivity....and on. Not saying 800 is bad, but 750 is better in numerous areas....and I do not care for highway speed buzzy bars. Of course just one opinion.

Seat height has a lot to do between the two for a lot of people. Just my two cents. Another option is a lowered F800gs.

Seat height has a lot to do between the two for a lot of people. Just my two cents. Another option is a lowered F800gs.

Seat height for the 750 is 32.1" with the standard seat.
What's the seat height for the F800GS?

I thought motorcycle riding was supposed to be a bit uncomfortable so you don’t nod off while rolling down the highway and end up in a ditch :)
OM

The engine, it's all about the engine. 800 and 750 have similar numbers horsepower wise, but 750 has edge on torque. However, the firing order adds character to the 750 experience....major difference in power delivery, feel and civility. The Rotax (800) engine balancing system created too much buzz. The Loncin engine is a much smoother, non fatiguing power source. This and the 750's advanced electronics, from running info, to shifting ability, to improved MPG, to connectivity....and on. Not saying 800 is bad, but 750 is better in numerous areas....and I do not care for highway speed buzzy bars. Of course just one opinion.

+1 on this. FWIW my "750" did not vibrate enough to notice though some did complain. To me this engine is better. It is all about torque! 5000 rpm is 80mph. Who needs more power above 80 MPG on a dual sport?

Considering that the gs750 is the newer bike with a different motor that actually displaces 850 cc, its no wonder it has more power. To me there's no question, given the choice, which bike I'd buy - the new 750. But considering its not my choice, we'll be leaving that decision up to you, Dimitri. :thumb

I mean no disrepect, but purchasing a new 750/850 seems to be implicit approval of BMW outsourcing the primary component of the motorcycle to a lower cost engine supplier. I agree the old Rotax 804 is a bit buzzy, and the new Loncin may indeed be the better motor, but there are limits. I would feel better about the new twins if the engines were made in-house.

I mean no disrepect, but purchasing a new 750/850 seems to be implicit approval of BMW outsourcing the primary component of the motorcycle to a lower cost engine supplier. I agree the old Rotax 804 is a bit buzzy, and the new Loncin may indeed be the better motor, but there are limits. I would feel better about the new twins if the engines were made in-house.

As you point out, both motors are outsourced. But outsourcing the motor to Rotax is OK while outsourcing to Loncin is not? I know, Austria vs. China, but both are outsourced.

The four bikes can be grouped in two different ways, in my mind. By engine - the 700/800, and the 750/850. The Rotax 700 and 800 are the same basic engine with slightly different heads and fueling, same with the Loncin 750 and 850. Displacements for the 700/800 engines are both 798 cc, the 750/850 are both 853 cc with the "smaller" engine of each pair detuned relative to the "larger" one. Grouped by market segment, the 800/850 are taller and more offroad-oriented (21" front, wire wheels) than the street-oriented 700/750 (19" front, cast wheels).

So what do we know about the apparent reliability of the 850/750 engines. Any recalls? Explosions? Destroyed camshafts? I don't need data. For now anecdotal evidence will suffice.. What are we hearing out there about these engines?

I had a 2016. F800gsa for 24k miles and now have an. 850gsa for a year and about 6k miles. I like the 850 way more and the new motor makes. up for the added weight of the new bike with the fly by wire throttle and just being I'd call it more user friendly over all. YMMV

I had a 2016. F800gsa for 24k miles and now have an. 850gsa for a year and about 6k miles. I like the 850 way more and the new motor makes. up for the added weight of the new bike with the fly by wire throttle and just being I'd call it more user friendly over all. YMMV

Just as a point of clarification, the late-model F700GS and F800GS both had “fly by wire throttle” control. This would be the 2017 and 2018 model years.

The 800GS will have a 21" front tire, the 750GS a 19' front tire. The 750 is an amazing cornering bike, and has lots of great bells and whistles if you get the premium version. The 800 will of course, be taller, and the 750gs will likely have the Gear Shift Assist feature that you can shift without the clutch, has LED headlight and taillight and TFT screen, heated grips, and cruise control. You can also connect your phone's GPS, music and call capability with the BMW Motorrad Connect app.

BMW is also offering 1.9% financing until June 30th, will make your first payment, and do not pay for three months.

This is just my opinion, but if I had the $ AND there was a dealer CLOSE by I'd buy the 750 new.
Having the extra $ and a Good dealer nearby would be high on my must have items.
Nick

Back