• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

USA-CANADA-Difreences???

Status
Not open for further replies.
No gun opinions and politics aside.

What makes us different?

And apparently spelling,damn freaking UK keyboard settings.

Canadians = adults.

Americans = teenagers kinda trying to figure out who they are and not taking advice from adults.

Canada has eliminated the one and two dollar bills. The coins which replace them are the loonie ($1.00) and the toonie ($2.00).

These last longer than the bills.

Americans still use paper for their paper money; our money is plasticized.

A PA buddy keeps a Canadian Fifty in his wallet. He frequently offers it to fellow Americans to keep if they able to tear it in two. He's had that bill since our trip in 2011. :)

Sidetrack or whatever. I did Niagara Falls last weekend with the only Redhead I know that can put up with me.

I've never been but I got say, the Canadian side of the falls certainly makes USA side look like a baby.

You got a topper for my last statement?

Bring it on!!!!!!

I have to agree with you during the summer months, dieselyoda.

Not so much during a good winter. :D

IMG_3702 copy.jpg

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01877 copy 2.jpg
    DSC01877 copy 2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 108
No gun opinions and politics aside.

What makes us different?

And apparently spelling,damn freaking UK keyboard settings.

I attended the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College. We had to write many papers and they were sticklers for using the Oxford English Dictionary spelling. My keyboard didn't know Oxford English.

I was thinking about this topic. Scared the poop outta me when I realized I could think on my own!

I'm gonna go with DRL's. Daytime Running Lamps.

Canada has mandated DRL's for about 30 years.

It's a great idea but very rarely do you see them in the US.

I was thinking about this topic. Scared the poop outta me when I realized I could think on my own!

I'm gonna go with DRL's. Daytime Running Lamps.

Canada has mandated DRL's for about 30 years.

It's a great idea but very rarely do you see them in the US.

"They" had to mandate wipers on, headlights on...... shouldn't have to.....didn't work. :dunno

OM

Some great comments!!

All of them accept for the teeth comments.

Has some merit though but if you flash a Bobby Clarke grin at my age to boys the same age (think=60+), instant respect, or maybe instant sympathy?

Next on my "differences" list is tires.

How many states mandate winter tires? I doubt Texas or Arizona or some of the others need to.

No winter tires here on the southern side of continent!

My difference is that pesky metric system! We had it driven at us in fifth grade and done by seventh…was still struggling with fractions, ounces and pints :hungover

First trip into Canada had us befuddled with fueling pricing, speed limits, distance calculation on routes and loonies to use at campsite showers :lol

First trip into Canada had us befuddled with fueling pricing, speed limits, distance calculation on routes and loonies to use at campsite showers :lol

I didn't bother converting fuel mileage or gas prices because it made my head hurt :) Speed and distance I could manage in my head by rounding off.

Kindness.

Years ago I was approaching Vancouver from the east on the major highway. I was absolutely speeding. A Canadian police officer pulls me over and walks up to my vehicle window. He lets me know he stopped me because I was speeding and up ahead about 2 miles the traffic was going to slow dramatically and he wanted me to be prepared to stop and not cause an accident. He let me go on my way.

Wow...kindness, consideration. That's the Canadian way.

Some great comments!!

How many states mandate winter tires? I doubt Texas or Arizona or some of the others need to.

No requirement in Ohio. All-season radials plus front-wheel drive works okay most of the time. AWD or 4WD certainly helps. The small rear-wheel-only drive pickup trucks in my past required significant extra weight in the bed.

And most northeast Ohio drivers know how to drive in snow. Well, at least they remember how after the first significant snowfall.

I thought Quebec was the only province with the mandatory winter tire law? Does MB have that law?
A few riders there have mentioned they can't get their bikes out in the winter if it happens to be nice and the roads are dry.

No winter tires here on the southern side of continent!

My difference is that pesky metric system! We had it driven at us in fifth grade and done by seventh…was still struggling with fractions, ounces and pints :hungover

I do my carpentry in metric. Dividing 150mm in thirds is easier than trying to divide 3 5/16 by 3, that's for sure. :ha

Kindness.

Years ago I was approaching Vancouver from the east on the major highway. I was absolutely speeding. A Canadian police officer pulls me over and walks up to my vehicle window. He lets me know he stopped me because I was speeding and up ahead about 2 miles the traffic was going to slow dramatically and he wanted me to be prepared to stop and not cause an accident. He let me go on my way.

Wow...kindness, consideration. That's the Canadian way.

Empathy. It fosters courtesy and kindness.

It is indeed the Canadian way.

Empathy. It fosters courtesy and kindness.

It is indeed the Canadian way.

You should go through immigration at Toronto Airport. If you say you are there on business, you will find out there are some decidedly non-empathetic people in Canada. Interestingly, the border guards in Quebec and New Brunswick are very nice.

Both of my children received excellent educations in Canada (McGill and Dalhousie) while I enjoyed the reduced cost due to Canada's enlightened support of their universities and the exchange rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back