• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

US to Canada first time

We're planning a trip to Canada from the US, first time for both of us, we already have passports but do we need special driver permit due to some different road signs - which we are studying now. Any advice - besides 'watch out for those Canadian drivers!' :gerg - what to watch for? How's the border crossing process? We are planning to cross at the North Dakota station at Pembina-Emerson and go and spend a few days in and around Winnipeg. The plan right now is probably sometime in June - heavier traffic in the summer I'm sure. Thank you for any advice!

Border crossing is easy. I'm kinda surprised that you live in a border state, but have never been to Canada. Just answer the questions without embellishment, present your passport and welcome to Canada.

Speeds are in kmh, so no biggie there. Traffic laws are similar. They run radar traps, so be careful and leave your radar detector in your luggage.

Folks up there are wonderful. The scenic pullouts are terrific, if you encounter one.

We haven't been up to Alberta/BC in about 4 years and we're really missing it. The Canadian Rockies are hard to beat, IMHO and the facilities in their parks are generally very nicely done. Not sure if you're heading that way or not, but we'll be heading back.

BC is endlessly beautiful, as well, especially up near Kelowna. We had a terrific weekend in Kelowna. The lake is right there, so we walked the gardens near it and the restaurants in town were all an easy walk with amazing food.

I'm sure you'll have a grand time.

We live about 220 miles from the Alberta border. The riding in Alberta and British Columbia is some the best there is.

Thank you for all the advice, several good points mentioned that we didn't think about and great additional information on other things too.

Yeah we were kind of also surprised we live in a border state, both of us now in 50s and never been in Canada, so it's really time to visit our neighbors! :wave

We also just added one day plan to go up to Lake Winnipeg realizing how close it is to the city so why not spend a day up there and look at the lake and surroundings. We are excited for this trip especially because we both love nature and Canada being even more wide open with more scenic rides. We're definitely will plan more trips up there from now on, national parks ... etc. Watch out Canada, more crazy riders from Minnesota coming! :usa :buds:eat :sick

Thank you for all the advice, several good points mentioned that we didn't think about and great additional information on other things too.

Yeah we were kind of also surprised we live in a border state, both of us now in 50s and never been in Canada, so it's really time to visit our neighbors! :wave

We also just added one day plan to go up to Lake Winnipeg realizing how close it is to the city so why not spend a day up there and look at the lake and surroundings. We are excited for this trip especially because we both love nature and Canada being even more wide open with more scenic rides. We're definitely will plan more trips up there from now on, national parks ... etc. Watch out Canada, more crazy riders from Minnesota coming! :usa :buds:eat :sick

Banff.

Seriously. It's stunning. Don't bother with Lake Louise; it's full of Instagrammers all making the same stupid pose at the same spot. There are others that are equally stunning, but without a crowd. Just keep heading up the Ice Fields Parkway, or whatever it is. I'll say that we were there in July and it was jacket season and quite chilly, so bring your heated gear if you're heading up to the Rockies.

It was an amazing time. Plan on lots of stops to look. The riding is OK, I guess, but the scenery is really the attraction.

Lake Winnipeg is a beautiful location. If you plan on camping there, the provincial park is a wonderful facility. A campsite there needs to be booked well in advance.

Twenty minutes north of the Lake Winnipeg campground is the town of Gimili (Viking roots) which hosts a film festival every August.

On your return, share with us your experiences visiting “The True North”. :wave

Twenty minutes north of the Lake Winnipeg campground is the town of Gimili (Viking roots) which hosts a film festival every August.

Great! Big part of my job is working with film festivals all around the world, didn't know about the one in Gimili, sounds like I'll have to head up there in August again. Thanks for the tip Paul!

One thing to mention about standing on your footpegs, it is considered "Stunting" & your motorcycle is impounded for 7 days with impound fees & up to a $10,000 fine.

Icefields Parkway! We rode it going north and south last year. Always a great ride.

5-E76-AE9-F-FA09-430-A-AF14-174-AFFA673-A3.jpg

One thing to mention about standing on your footpegs, it is considered "Stunting" & your motorcycle is impounded for 7 days with impound fees & up to a $10,000 fine.

I guess there are no GS (or other adventure bike) riders in the Canadian or Provincial parliaments, or on their staffs it would seem. :banghead

I guess there are no GS (or other adventure bike) riders in the Canadian or Provincial parliaments, or on their staffs it would seem. :banghead

Or Canadian GS riders don't run a steady fantasy of endless baby heads on every road with a speed limit less than 35mph and are OK with sitting on the seat of their bike.

I mean, let's be honest. All that standing up stuff in town is just posing. Harley throttle blippers, sportbike redline bounces and GS riders standing on their pegs on pavement are all about the same, right?

Riding on dirt? Sure. But down getting a cup of coffee? POSER.

Loooooook at meeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm riding the Dakar to get a mocchacino! :ha

Signed,

Former GS rider

I often stand on the pegs in areas of reduced speed to stretch my legs and rest my butt. Kinda loses its impact on a sidecar tho……

Or Canadian GS riders don't run a steady fantasy of endless baby heads on every road with a speed limit less than 35mph and are OK with sitting on the seat of their bike.

I mean, let's be honest. All that standing up stuff in town is just posing. Harley throttle blippers, sportbike redline bounces and GS riders standing on their pegs on pavement are all about the same, right?

Riding on dirt? Sure. But down getting a cup of coffee? POSER.

Loooooook at meeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm riding the Dakar to get a mocchacino! :ha

Signed,

Former GS rider

I agree. I laugh every time I see some GS goof in his shorts and sandals standing on the pegs going down the road on the national rally grounds. But in Canada the law doesn't say what kind of road it applies to. Whether some constable might go after a rider on a gravel or sandy road is unknown. All in all it is a stupid law imposed by a group of people who most likely have zero motorcycle riding experience.

I agree. I laugh every time I see some GS goof in his shorts and sandals standing on the pegs going down the road on the national rally grounds. But in Canada the law doesn't say what kind of road it applies to. Whether some constable might go after a rider on a gravel or sandy road is unknown. All in all it is a stupid law imposed by a group of people who most likely have zero motorcycle riding experience.

In many places in the states, you'll be subjected to similar laws. I know a couple folks that have been stopped for standing on the pegs while riding through some small town.

At rallies, we used to sit in our Kermits telling folks to pick their feet up or sit down. :ha

In many places in the states, you'll be subjected to similar laws. I know a couple folks that have been stopped for standing on the pegs while riding through some small town.

I am willing to bet they didn't get their motorcycle confiscated and pay a $10,000 fine!

I too stand up to relieve my ass on long rides. If the cops pull me over I'll give them a good explanation.

Yeah putting up your flip lid is definitely the way to go but I've crossed plenty of times without taking my helmet off.

But then again being a dual citizen I cross on whichever passport I'm going to. Yeah I know, it's kind of like cheating.:ha

But then again being a dual citizen I cross on whichever passport I'm going to. Yeah I know, it's kind of like cheating.:ha

My dad used to have two passports one for Canada and one the UK. My wife and I (both dual citizens) don’t cross the ocean enough to have both passports.

However taking about cheating, last August I was allowed into both the US and a few hours later back into Canada without my passport. I had inadvertently grabbed my wife’s passport. :banghead

Canada couldn’t refuse my entry but the US could have.

Damn, and I am trying to get out of Canada and I was born here. :laugh

Might apply for permanent residence in Oz. Nothing like the Gold Coast. Two downsides though.

I am not very experienced but I have to admit, on a long day ride I will often stand a little going through town (due to the lower speed) to rest my rump and stretch a little before the next high speed section. I am not showing off. I am guessing folks that don't do that have never gone more than 60 miles from home.

Wow, I love the scenery in Canada, and most Canadians are great folks, but the government they elect is totally nuts.

Bill

I am not very experienced but I have to admit, on a long day ride I will often stand a little going through town (due to the lower speed) to rest my rump and stretch a little before the next high speed section. I am not showing off. I am guessing folks that don't do that have never gone more than 60 miles from home.

Wow, I love the scenery in Canada, and most Canadians are great folks, but the government they elect is totally nuts.

Bill

Just to note that the applicable regulations are a matter of provincial jurisdiction so they vary by province.

Back