• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

US to Canada first time

One thing to mention about standing on your footpegs, it is considered "Stunting" & your motorcycle is impounded for 7 days with impound fees & up to a $10,000 fine.

Possibly an offense in Ontario or Quebec, I have little experience there, but I have not encountered any issues in BC, Alberta, NWT, or the Yukon while standing at least 10 minutes every hour I ride.

An update on this: we had to push this to the end of August but this time the hotel is also reserved so we're excited. We will stay in the Winnipeg and mostly Lake Winnipeg area this first time.

Canadian here, I can't say I've had issues standing on a bike in any province. I do it regularly on long rides to stretch. That being said there is always one or two by the book cops you need to watch for.

I believe regulations have changed and not all pumps are labelled reflecting ethanol content accurately yet . I run supreme/91 AKI in all my bikes and haven't had issues. As some have said the further north you get your options dwindle and you might end up on regular or plus gas (87/89 AKI). Some say company matters but the same truck delivers gas to shell, Petro, Irving and others so I don't think you can avoid Ethanol anymore by brand.

Border is usually pretty chill for pleasure trips in and out. I've had much more issues travelling for work than riding between the countries.

BC/west Alberta was some of the most beautiful riding I've done yet, but I have a soft spot for my local east coast rides like the Cabot trail.

I believe regulations have changed and not all pumps are labelled reflecting ethanol content accurately yet . I run supreme/91 AKI in all my bikes and haven't had issues. As some have said the further north you get your options dwindle and you might end up on regular or plus gas (87/89 AKI). Some say company matters but the same truck delivers gas to shell, Petro, Irving and others so I don't think you can avoid Ethanol anymore by brand.

I always use the top tier petrol but when riding in northern Ontario recently, I believe that was a mistake. Early morning starts were difficult or chaotic. In hindsight I am assuming that with smaller population, the premium fuel is used less and becomes stale or has condensation in the tanks. In the future I will use regular fuel in remote areas.

Up until recently, Shell V Power was ethanol free. Unfortunately in the last month or so, all levels of Shell fuel state that they “may” contain up to 10% ethanol. :(

Last edited:
I always use the top tier petrol but when riding in northern Ontario recently, I believe that was a mistake. Early morning starts we’re difficult or chaotic. In hindsight I am assuming that with smaller population, the premium fuel is used less and becomes stale or has condensation in the tanks. In the future I will use regular fuel in remote areas.

Up until recently, Shell V Power was ethanol free. Unfortunately in the last month or so, all levels of Shell fuel state that they “may” contain up to 10% ethanol. :(

That's a good point about remote, If they do have supreme it may be older, and with ethanol contents rising that can be extra bad.

Nova Scotia held out on ethanol for a while but since 2022 sometime I think pretty much all at the pump gas in Canada is now mixed with ethanol with a few rare exceptions.

Trying to find a rare exception locally. Would love to put some 94 in my car too if I could find that.

Or Canadian GS riders don't run a steady fantasy of endless baby heads on every road with a speed limit less than 35mph and are OK with sitting on the seat of their bike.

I mean, let's be honest. All that standing up stuff in town is just posing. Harley throttle blippers, sportbike redline bounces and GS riders standing on their pegs on pavement are all about the same, right?

Riding on dirt? Sure. But down getting a cup of coffee? POSER.

Loooooook at meeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm riding the Dakar to get a mocchacino! :ha

Signed,

Former GS rider

Hi- poser here. I'll blip the Harley and the Triumph when doing a leisurely shifting ride to RPM match for the shift, I'll stand to unstick the boys from the thigh, or get them to drop a little when the seat pushes me forward, or if I'm cramping, I'll ride to the coffee shop for a cold brew, OTOH I am an ATGATT poser- so do I get a pass?

An update on this: we had to push this to the end of August but this time the hotel is also reserved so we're excited. We will stay in the Winnipeg and mostly Lake Winnipeg area this first time.

I don't stand up that much anymore since I bought my daylong saddle.

South of Winnipeg my advice is to stay to the best roads you can find with good line of sight and to not ride near or after dusk.

Several years ago I was riding with a close friend north of Roseau, MN and south of Winnipeg. We had plenty of light and deep ditches on both sides of the road.

IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE BOTTOM OF THE DITCH ASSUME SOMETHING IS DOWN THERE THAT CAN DO YOU GREAT BODILY HARM.

Deer came out of the ditch swept my friends front wheel out from under him. Lucky to have some skilled EMT people stop. We were closer to Winnipeg than Roseau but we wanted to end up on our side of the border if possible. Vitals were OK so he went to Roseau and then to Grand Forks. If I am ever hurt anywhere close to Grand Forks that is where I am going.

He had two broken arms and two broken legs. He rehabbed OK but does not ride any longer.

There are a couple of important things as a guy that you can't do for yourself with two broken arms. You need a really really good friend.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Vitals were OK so he went to Roseau and then to Grand Forks. If I am ever hurt anywhere close to Grand Forks that is where I am going.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

My hometown from age 4 to age 21 when I went into the Air Force.

Back