• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tubeless tire conversion for r100gs

R

radan2

I really like tubeless tires. In the cases of punctures I have had, their tendency to deflate gradually made it easier to prevent loss of control.

Is there a way to convert the regular spoked wheels of the GS so they will accept tubeless tires, or must I buy new wheels.

I really like tubeless tires. In the cases of punctures I have had, their tendency to deflate gradually made it easier to prevent loss of control.

Is there a way to convert the regular spoked wheels of the GS so they will accept tubeless tires, or must I buy new wheels.

pretty sure on '89 the rims are for tubeless already, the spoke are on the outside ridge of the rim, hence there are no holes through the tire area. If someone has used a tube with your rims you will simply need new valve stems. I just installed tubeless on '92 R100GS; A tube split on the rear of my 87 R80GS at 120kph after that I promised myself I would never own another street bike with Tube type tires because of the "quick" release of tire pressure I experienced, it was like riding a mechanical bull. I was lucky to have had a patch of grass to go to.

The original poster's bike came from factory with tubeless-capable wheels and tubeless tires fitted.

He has no problem if he still has the original wheels in good condition.

It's pretty easy to take a look and note that the spokes fit the wheel to the outside of the tire mounting area.

Thanks for the info. I am clueless in regard to this bike, as I do not have an owner's manual. Is there a place to get them, either in print or as a downloadable file?

I have heard that using a tube in a tubeless wheel increases heat and therefore the likeliness of failure.

I have ordered a Clymer manual, as I have heard they are very good.

Here's a picture of my '93 GSPD (tubeless). Notice that the spokes attach near the outside edge of the rim. They are placed here so they are outside the bead of the tire.

DSC_0749.JPG

And here's a '75 R90/6 (tube). The spokes are attached near the center of the rim.

DSC_0747.JPG

I had seen this on another forum. I have not used them, but thought it might be of interest to people with older spoked rims

I was running late for work. and didn't get the site in my last post. Go to tubliss.com. It is a seal that goes inside the tubeless tire on a tube type rim

Back