• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tore up my knee. Very worried about my motorcycle future.

STANTONBARBAS

I'm 23 years old and recently had an accident on a trampoline. Tore up my knee pretty badly. The front ligament on my knee is entirely separated and I will need a surgery. I have no insurance. I have no idea how I will afford this much needed surgery. I have no idea how this will effect my ability to ride, or even walk for the rest of my life. I can only sit here with my leg propped up until the swelling and bone bruise goes down before I can get an operation to reattach the ligament.

I am only allowed to sit here and stress out. And stressing is exactly what I am doing. 5 years, thousands of miles, and 5 different motorcycles and I am just fine. 1 hour on a trampoline and I need surgery to walk. Trampolines are more dangerous than motorcycles.

I needed to vent.

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune.

If I understand correctly, you can now get health insurance that covers existing conditions, and if you qualify, with some financial assistance. No matter what it costs it would seem it is worth it if it gets you healthy enough to walk, work and ride.

Venting is good too. :thumb

Hang in there! The future just seems bleak now in the wake of the accident. Doctors can do amazing things these days and that is a sports injury they have dealt with many times. Follow your physical therapy to a "T" and before you know it you will be back on your motorcycle smiling at the future. :)

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune.

If I understand correctly, you can now get health insurance that covers existing conditions, and if you qualify, with some financial assistance. No matter what it costs it would seem it is worth it if it gets you healthy enough to walk, work and ride.

Venting is good too. :thumb

I need to see a social worker then. healthcare.gov said I dont qualify because I missed the signing date.

Aren't you covered by your parents policy? That's part of Obamacare. :dunno

What state are you in?

:dance:dance:dance

Hang in there! The future just seems bleak now in the wake of the accident. Doctors can do amazing things these days and that is a sports injury they have dealt with many times. Follow your physical therapy to a "T" and before you know it you will be back on your motorcycle smiling at the future. :)

+1

Sorry to hear about your woes, but don't be discouraged. A family member injured her knees snow skiing and was told she would never ski again. But, guess what. She's able to ski. Just think positive and go slow through your rehabilitation. You will know then whether or not you will be able to.

The internet's your buddy now. There's plenty information on the web with regards to injuries, surgeries and rehabilitation. So read up and get familiar with what the current procedures are and be prepared to talk about them with your doctor. I certainly wouldn't try to second guess my doctor, but then again they may prefer one way over another for a variety of reasons. It's best to talk with them to figure out what you feel is best.

Find out how much the surgery will cost total. That is the first order of business.

Once you know how much it will cost, you will have a goal to raise that much money. Talk to the hospital and doctor and see if there is anything they can do to help. Some hospitals will write off stuff like this. I don't know why but they do.

Obamacare is crap if you are young. The whole thing hinges on young people signing up and paying premiums. If young people do not sign up, they are fined $75 this year, and next year the penalty is going up to what they call more realistic levels. Basically you will either get the insurance or get fined for the premiums and not have it anyway. That is how they fund it!

My Orthopedic doctor told me it would cost roughly 10k from a private hospital, if paid up front. but would cost nearly 35k if I went to a public hospital. I don't want to solicit others for money, that just goes against my nature. At any rate I need the surgery in 2 weeks. I am sure something will figure out. Maybe I can work out a payment plan and make payments until I die :/

My Orthopedic doctor told me it would cost roughly 10k from a private hospital, if paid up front. but would cost nearly 35k if I went to a public hospital. I don't want to solicit others for money, that just goes against my nature. At any rate I need the surgery in 2 weeks. I am sure something will figure out. Maybe I can work out a payment plan and make payments until I die :/

Most all hospitals now are understanding that many people still can't afford insurance and are more than willing to set you up on a reasonable installment plan. I'm sure you can get a mo. payment that will fit your budget.

Obamacare is crap if you are young. The whole thing hinges on young people signing up and paying premiums. If young people do not sign up, they are fined $75 this year, and next year the penalty is going up to what they call more realistic levels. Basically you will either get the insurance or get fined for the premiums and not have it anyway. That is how they fund it!

All insurance works by having an overwhelming majority not making claims. The good drivers out there are subsidizing and paying for the poor drivers who regularly get in collisions. The cost of insurance (car or health) would be prohibited if only the poor drivers or people in poor health signed up? I'm not a fan of the insurance model we have, but it's all we've got unless we are ready, willing and able to change. Paying cash for medical procedures is not always possible. I've tried and many doctors will not accept patients unless they have insurance. That's right they refused cash paying patients.

Most all hospitals now are understanding that many people still can't afford insurance and are more than willing to set you up on a reasonable installment plan. I'm sure you can get a mo. payment that will fit your budget.

Keep this in mind too. Hospitals and surgery centers give insurance companies discounts, yet they charge "full retail" to those least able to pay, which is those without insurance. Whatever the costs are, don't forget to negotiate the fees.

The medical tourism business is still booming. India or Thailand have had great rates- last I checked.
OM

And hospital prices for those that actually pay are set based on the reality that a large percentage will need to be forgiven or written off because people don't have insurance and don't have lots of money either. So we all subsidize the system in bills we pay or insurance premiums we pay. The entire system, including the insurance company clerks that tell doctors what to do is insane but apparently we like it that way.

Move to Canada!! We love all sorts of strangers here and free Health Care!!

Well, it's actually not that free when you realize how much you pay in income tax. Then again, whatever I paid in income tax one year offset the cost of having my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks because I tried to catch a hockey puck with my face. Our health care system evens pays for stoopid.

I'm 23 years old and recently had an accident on a trampoline. Tore up my knee pretty badly. The front ligament on my knee is entirely separated and I will need a surgery. I have no insurance. I have no idea how I will afford this much needed surgery. I have no idea how this will effect my ability to ride, or even walk for the rest of my life. I can only sit here with my leg propped up until the swelling and bone bruise goes down before I can get an operation to reattach the ligament.

I am only allowed to sit here and stress out. And stressing is exactly what I am doing. 5 years, thousands of miles, and 5 different motorcycles and I am just fine. 1 hour on a trampoline and I need surgery to walk. Trampolines are more dangerous than motorcycles.

I needed to vent.

Go to your local hospital(s), tell them you don't have insurance and get a quote and a payment plan. It happens all the time and the hospitals actually have procedures / processes for dealing with it. Just ask any private contractor....plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc.

The worst thing you can do is not taking care of it. Sure, it's cheaper, but within a few years or decades the loose joint will destroy the cartilage and the mating bone surfaces. Then, you'll need a new knee joint.

Oh, yeah, sign up for insurance, ASAP.

Sadly,young folks don't understand the value of insurance until something happens. Sure, their young and healthy, so it's not priority... With health care now available at various cost depending on the individual circumstance, if one doesn't feel the need to prioritize the cost, if it becomes necessary, it's hard to feel compassion for those who take the risk of forgoing the protection....

Keep this in mind too. Hospitals and surgery centers give insurance companies discounts, yet they charge "full retail" to those least able to pay, which is those without insurance. Whatever the costs are, don't forget to negotiate the fees.

Actually, they often offer discounts to those who don't use insurance. The usual and customary are high rates that then get discounted by the insurance companies.

From actual experience. My wife had surgery that the insurance denied. We paid cash out of pocket then appealed. Then the insurance company paid MORE than we had paid cash. The Dr was happy, I was happy to get a $5K refund.

I am going to be the "bad guy"

You own a BMW and a Buell? You can afford two motorcycles, but not insurance premiums? Tough lesson learned.

Back