• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire date

Could one of these be the the date code for metzeler tire on R100/7597B9060-CEAE-4E7A-B0CB-B2BD87973B29.jpegCB707867-FD5A-4AB9-86C6-725A85E54A58.jpeg

If more info is need will get tomorrow

If the answer is yes, also need translation

It is the last digits of the DOT number. Normally there are four digits. The first two are the week of the year and the last two are the year. I have not seen a three digit date code, but it may be the 32nd week of 2009 if they are using a single digit 9 for 09.

There seems to be some confusion to the date, either 422 or 329. Either way the tire is old, pre-2000 and needs to be replaced.

There seems to be some confusion to the date, either 422 or 329. Either way the tire is old, pre-2000 and needs to be replaced.

I think it is the 32nd week of 1999 (or 1989). In either case way to old except to plant a tree in its middle.

Paul is correct.

From 1970 to 2000, they only used three numbers (two for the week and the last one for the year). It then dawned on them that people could still get confused by which decade so they changed it to four numbers in 2000 with the last two being the year.

Your tire is from the 32 week of 1999 (they added the little triangle at the end of the number to indicate it was from the '90s before they finally got smart and started usung actual numbers to indicate the decade).

I hear that Elon Musk is applying for permission to use a fifth number to indicate the millenium on the tires for the 2025 Tesla. :stick:jester

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
So the 329 doesn’t mean it was made on my birthday :hungover
Now the rear tire had 4 digit code it was made in 09 I thought it was a bit old.
The front tire is made in Germany back tire made in Brazil and the two metzelers on the oil head made in China.

But the tread still real good:banghead

But the tread still real good:banghead

I once bought an R60/5, intending to make it a vintage race bike. The tires were a decade or so old. I could not dismount those tires using normal means. They were too old and stiff and hard. I got them off with a sabre saw, but it was not a pretty sight.

It always amazes me how wonderful fresh tires are on a motorcycle. Like a new machine!

It also amazes me how time creeps up on me and how one of the many vehicles around here always seems to have old tires....

It always amazes me how wonderful fresh tires are on a motorcycle. Like a new machine!

It also amazes me how time creeps up on me and how one of the many vehicles around here always seems to have old tires....

Do you mean new tires are not like riding on rubber rocks?
Next I want to thank all for help it’s nice to know my front tire is 20 years old!
Now the dreaded, the bike is a BMW 1978 R100/7
The owners manual info front tire 3.25H19 Rear tire 4.00H18
I would like to have tires with vintage look, ( least important aspect )
When I do the search I get tube type, tubeless
When I check fit I get lots that come up but say they will not fit my bike
So help need recommendations

Next I want to thank all for help it’s nice to know my front tire is 20 years old!

It doesn't get more classic than this for a '78...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/continental-rb2k112-classic-tires

These are about as classic a look as you can get for that bike, and are available in the correct inch sizing:

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-...09891&sr=8-9&keywords=3.25-19+motorcycle+tire

But be advised that there are newer compounds and tread patterns that offer better performance, like these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-activ-tire

The Michelins are great tires but really tough to mount, even with a tire machine.

Many Airheads also like the Bridgestone Spitfires, but I am not finding those in inch sizing.

Best,
DG

Tires

The continental tires do look right but you know the cheapest thing on a bmw
012AE2BC-318E-4668-8FAE-10780A41FF13.png

Anyone try these cost about 1 front tire less than the conti’s

IMO if you're doing serious miles on the bike, I'd go with a newer tire with modern compound. On my much older bikes, I do tend to purchase vintage looking tires, but those bikes don't get much other than local short trips. But the /7 tends to get more miles at higher speeds.

Think more about safety and performance rather than looks.

Tire Date

I ride a 1976 R60/6. I use Dunlop K71 tires. They look great and give good service ie. 10,000 to 12,000 of highway miles. Never have had an issue. Cheers

I agree 100%. I just replaced the tires on a new to me k75, the originals were dated 1992. Put a set of bias ply Avons on it, as you said, "like a new machine". Cheers.

Tyres

Oh boy! Another tire thread! Let's cut to the chase and get to the point where one rider says that Brand X is the best and another rider says that he wouldn't mount one on his wheelbarrow.

OK.. I posted something about this a bit back including the fact that the K75 was running on tires that were nearly 27 years old.

here is the kicker. Those tires were showing NO wearing AT ALL until a week before I replaced them.

BUT, I was having problems sticking to the road and the bike would feel like it was slipping sideways on turns.

personally, I would just replace both and not worry about it.

Back