• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Air Pump Poll

ramble

ohbeemer
Any thoughts on carrying a pump for solo riding on pavement, no off road? Depend on a good sam to help or put-up with the weight/space issue?

I always carry a BestRest Cycle Pump, a tire plug kit and CO2 cartridges. Better safe than sorry and that way I can be a good Sam when needed.

Any thoughts on carrying a pump for solo riding on pavement, no off road? Depend on a good sam to help or put-up with the weight/space issue?

I always carry a plug kit and pump. From my experience, flats find the worst time to occur. My last one was on a remote mountain road early one Sunday morning, in an area having no cell signal, on a road I hadn't seen another car yet and didn't afterwards. What could have been a nightmare I resolved at roadside in 15 minutes, and I was back to carving roads and the balance of a 500 mile day.

I carry a Lexin rechargeable tire pump, which is very nice, and a set of Kegeter Tire Repair Rubber Nails.

The tire pump has enough juice (5000mAh Battery) to fill a few tires from flat and still recharge your phone several times. Before attending the rally this year I replaced both tires and filled them with the Lexin tire pump. It didn't go down a single notch on the display.

I haven't had to use the rubber nails yet, but the youtube video is pretty impressive. I've thought about drilling a hole in my spare lawnmower tire just to try them out. You can get a pack of 48 for $11 from Amazon.

I always carry tyre repair on both of my bikes. Commuting, touring, off-road, doesn't matter. Over the years, I've had more flats on my Seattle commute than any multi-day trip. Fixed and home for tea.

BestRest Cycle Pump. I'm on to my second one since around 2000. First one started rattling after about 15 years, still worked fine, but thought I'd ask BesttRest if it could be repaired. BestRest replaced the whole unit for about $40.

I carry a small digital air gauge. Accurate and compact.

Have an antigravity air pump and tire plug kit. Also have AG battery for charging/jumping in an emergency.

Usually only carry for multi day trips not local rides but now I'm more rural and lacking cell service I'll probably change that..

Great input, I like the comment that a flat always happens at the worst time! Well said. Guess I'll have to start carrying again. Of course that's going to eliminate the help from a friendly farmers daughter.:hug

put-up with the weight/space issue?

Some of the pumps are fairly small and don't weigh much.
Mine weighs 0.7 pounds.
The battery pump in post 5 only weighs 1.1 pounds and about the same size as mine.

Tank Bag.jpg

Lexin looks nice, I may have to upgrade as my BestRest is 21 years old and "slightly" bulky.

I never paid much attention to the battery pump because I didn't know if it would do multiple tires from flat.
Sometimes a repair takes several tries to get the leak plugged.
The Lexin may be able to do this.

Nice to know it has enough charge to fill several tires.
Does it get too hot to hold when filling a tire from flat?
Approx how long does it take to fill a rear motorcycle tire?

It doesn’t take longer than others. I held it to fill two tires, minimal heat. I think it might have been designed by the same folks who built the first warp drive. It’s really 24th century stuff. Small, lots of power, doesn’t get hot.

I failed to mention, you select your desired pressure and the pump shuts itself off.

Didn’t mean to mention tire pressure, but I follow Paul G’s advice (one pressure for summer, different for winter) for my oilhead.

I have a similar kit packed in all l my road bikes and they have gotten me home many times. For the RT I removed a Slime pump from the plastic case and fabricated a guard for the gear wheel. With a set of T handle insertion tools and a pack of gummy worms it all fits in the unused space under and behind the pillion seat.

Air Compressor1.jpgAir Compressor2.jpg

dduelin , That's a great spot to store it. My kit is a mushroom plug, but it seems complicated if a sticky rope does the same for a quick fix to get to a tire shop. Opinions? I would rather spend the $ on a new tire than medical bills. Also, the original hole needs be reamed larger for the plug, which doesn't make sense.

{snip}Also, the original hole needs be reamed larger for the plug, which doesn't make sense.{snip}

This makes me think that you have never plugged a tire? Of course the puncture needs to be made possible for the plug to fit without being “torn” as the puncture is repaired.
On steel-belted radial tires, the reaming also helps to orient the steel belts so they don’t tear the plug.
I can suggest that anyone new to tire repair- “plugging”, purchase extra plugs and try this repair system on an old tire with different size punctures such as a finishing nail through a 16 penny spike.

OM

Back