• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Time to Change Oil? (Brands)

I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 CAR OIL (OMG!) for over 8 years and 35000 miles in my 190HP ZX14 and I've never had a problem. Yes, a wet clutch.

I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 CAR OIL (OMG!) for over 6 years and ?? miles in my 160HP GSXR 750 race bike (usually at or near redline for 20 minutes each track session 6-7 sessions per day) and I've never had a problem. Yes, a wet clutch.

I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 CAR OIL (OMG!) for over 5 years and 5000 miles in my wife's EX500 (HP? not so much) and I've never had a problem. Yes, a wet clutch.

Same here. Mobil 1 15W-50 car oil has the quantities of zinc and phosphorus required to keep flat tappet motors happy. BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati (wet and dry clutches) - whenever the manual called for this weight of oil, they've all happily lived on it.

I already regret responding to this thread. :laugh

One thing that's true: Oil threads should be banned. :laugh

I'm on a bunch of forums, mostly RC airplanes, and it seems like nothing stirs up the natives more than a good oil thread no matter what you're talking about. It's really funny how this subject is a common source of humor (or anxiety) across such different subjects. I've gotta go register on a cooking forum and post a "What kind of oil should I use for...?" question to see what happens.

:)

Motor oil

Yes, Spectro was the supplier of BMW oil until 2015. At the Salem OR. rally I spoke with the rep for Spectro , we had a very good talk. I do not know who makes it now.:wave

does anyone know what oil BMW dealers use when changing oil? I recently had my first oil change since buying used R1200RT. I asked what kind of oil it was and he showed me a can with "BMW Motor Oil" on it...the dealer claimed it was the best for my bike. Maybe so, I don't know but trusted him.

Universal Oil

As others have mentioned, I also use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40 oil. I use this in all my motorcycles, lawn equipment, power washer and anything else that requires oil. For the price I can change oil more frequently than other OEM oils. Wet clutch or not, I have not had a failure due to lubrication. I use this oil for lubricating oil cans, chain saw bar oil and motorcycle chain lube. With 'one' brand of oil I don't have to hoard all the different brands and viscosity of oils. I worked on military aircraft for 7yrs and have an FAA A&P license. I say if anything just change your oil frequently is better than the proper oil not being changed for 10-12,000mi..

Of course, one could always use the proper grade of oil and change it at the factory-recommended intervals. :thumb

One might especially expect this course of action from someone who worked on military aircraft for 7yrs and had an FAA A&P license. I thought they were "by the book". In my field of pharmaceuticals (retired) out-smarting the validated processes and materials can get the front door locked - and not with YOUR key! Anyone we found doing it was thereafter spoken of in past tense.

Seems so simple. Factory recommended spec and frequency. Read the book, then do what it says.

I read that as a variation of "some oil is better than no oil". I think the change went to "better to change more frequently with some oil that an extended period with the "correct" oil".
Seems like (to me) all the oil is pretty good nowadays.
OM

One thing that stands out in reading the posts about what oil to use in their M/C is that no one has mentioned - reading and following the Owners Manual. We have "Airheads" and the recommended oil (in the Owners Manual) is one that is rated SG. I personally like Spectro with the SG rating 20w/50 for the airheads because of their looser tolerances due to being air cooled. The newer water cooled models (of any brand) do not experience the temperature swings older air cooled bikes do and run tighter tolerances and need lighter weight oils. Just follow your Owners Manual recommendations. As Alan Coles and Paul Glaves have pointed out, the brand of oil is not as important as following proper change intervals and filter changes and use the proper viscosity/additive package (SG/SH/SJ -whatever).

Sam Creasman
'72 R75/5
'81 R100RS
'04 K1200RS (felt the need for speed)
'13 R1200RT (just sold)
"The thing is, you see what you want to see. And you hear what you want to hear".

The owners manual sounds great, until BMW declares years after the purchase of the bike that you now should use synthetic something or other and not the 20-50. They never said anything to me at the dealer until I asked why my yearly checkup and oil change was twice as much as previous year. I would have stayed with the Castrol 20-50.

When going through my 900 the first time, ordered new lifters, opened them up, and one was all pitted, before it was put in, before I got the oil? Guess not all lifters are cast, polished, the same. Not to mention the oil. not trolling for a lifter thread. Just check yer lifters if you get a chance. Might save a cam. Pays yer cash reduce yer stash.

Back