• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Fungal in Review (My Pic's)

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
Well, the day finally arrived or is that departed. I left my house at 08:00 on a brisk cool (47dF) morning to ride down to Northern California to hang out with invisible friends and ride some great roads. I stopped in Portland to meet up with Bob_M at 10:00 and then after a somewhat rocky or is that "Tipsy" :help start we got underway. (Sorry no pictures I was in too much of a hurry :bolt after the gas started pouring out of the tank and all over Bob.)

I asked him if his knee was OK and that now would be a good time to call the trip? :stick He said I'll be OK what else can go wrong? (Maybe I'm making this up, but who'd a known?) I almost watched a grown man :cry when we got the "Black Beauty" back on her feet. Bob took it all in stride and after a few blocks the engine was purring like a puddy tat... :thumb

We rode long and hard between fuel stops on I-5 until reaching Grants Pass then exited to Hwy 199 towards Cave Junction. Shortly after that we took some back roads until connecting to (Waldo/Happy Camp/Indian Creek Roads) down to Happy Camp. :wow What a blast that was after being on the slab for so long. Got to Happy Camp and turned East on Hwy 96 to the cut-off road at Scott Bar. They say timing is everything and in this case it was. Sector had just turned right (away from us) on 96 and thought maybe we were part of what she had came for, so she turned around and caught up to us. It didn't take long and she could not have gone any slower and still caught us.

Because it's hard to make any time when you are parked on the side of the road. :doh
106577599-M.jpg

Bob picked up a flat and after I went around a slow moving vehicle he noticed the back-end getting squirly and stopped. I pulled one of many U-Turns that day and came back.

This is one of many "like" stops along the 15-mile stretch of road to the camp ground (about every three-miles stop fill with air ride like the wind stop again)
106577873-M.jpg

It got dark by the time we reached Indian Scotty CG and none of us had ate on the way. (We thought we would get in at a decent hour) :deal

It happed that Sector had Redbeemers phone number and several panicky calls were made to find a new tube. (The thought was that the valve stem was the culprit, that turned out to be wrong). I rode into Fort Jones to make some cell phone calls and pick up some food, beer and ice. Only two deer on the way in, five or more on the way back. :eek

Beer, corndogs and a warm fire, what could be better? Oh about 10dF warmer the rest of the night would have been nice. It was below 30dF... :doh

The Fungal in Review (Day two)

In the morning we knew we needed to break the back tire down no matter what. So after we got everything apart it was evident what caused the flat; a small roofing staple about 1/4" into the tread line. A simple fix was all that was needed, so Bob plowed ahead with a patch job.
106578002-M.jpg

The wounded warrior and the happy confident owner: (P.S. The Outhouse smelled like an outhouse and the bike was downwind)
106578199-M.jpg

Remember I said COLD, this is the walking wounded while waiting for things to dry and warm up a bit:
106578289-M.jpg

and the other half of camp "Fungal":
106578408-M.jpg

Shortly after Bob got his bike back together, Redbeemer shows up with a new tube. :thumb Messaging service worked :type It was holding air and we all decided that it was time to hit the road. (I didn't even ask) We cached our tents and other simple camper items from would-be-theives (who wants system cases for a BMW, that are locked anyway?) :dunno

We left for gas at Fort Jones and down to Etna to see if anyone was there having breakfast? :kbasa Nope... Continued on Hwy 3 to Callahan
106578481-M.jpg

and then turned West on Cecilville Road. First thing we ran into was a small herd of:
106578590-M.jpg

Up the road we flew, stopping to take some pictures:
Bob_M -
106578758-M.jpg

Sector -
106578924-M.jpg

Redbeemer was too close to snap. But I got him later sharking through some corners:
106579195-M.jpg

Then a short stop over while waiting for Sector to catch up (she stopped for photo op and I got just a teensy bit worried being the group leader and all when she was more than a minute late, OK Allen maybe it was 30-seconds. But, we had passed a few big rocks layin in the middle of the road)
106579094-M.jpg

Last edited:
The Fungal in Review (Day two/Part two)

After the stop and group :hug , we got underway again but had reversed the order. Bob took the lead followed by Sector and Redbeemer, I brought up the rear and got snap happy from the comfort of my steed through the twisties with out a throttle hand: (Kids don't try this at home, well home is OK, don't do this on the road :dance ):
106579291-M.jpg

106579402-M.jpg

106579540-M.jpg

106579668-M.jpg

It was all good fun... :bliss But had to end... :violin

The Fungal in Review (Day two/Part Oops I forgot the TUBE)

We rolled into Cecilville and Bob was noticing that something familier feel in the back-end. A flat tire... :doh

Bob, you brought the new tube along, "Right"?

:uhoh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh NO! :rolleyes

OK, I'll go back and get it, it's only four-hours away (round trip). You start the dissassembly part and I'll be "Right Back" :nod :burnout

My GPS says says it's 1:52 back the way we came (Fastest Route), 2:04 the way we were going and somewhere around there if I said "Shortest Route". So off I went in a flurry of speed on this one-lane canyon road into the gorge of the South Fork Salmon River. :brad

My GPS says to take a right turn and I follow it. It's a GS and I wanted a dual/sport ride anyway. I mean how fast (or slow) does a GPS calculate speed over logging roads anyway 25-MPH I was maintaining that easily (well almost easily) :dunno Sometimes faster 3rd gear and sometimes slipping the clutch all the way up spinning the back tire and bouncing over softball sized rocks. (Did I mention the bike was loaded with almost everything I had minus a tent, mat and sleeping bag) :brow

I think I went over Eddy Gulch Road but there could be some Blue Ridge Road and a few National Forest roads thrown in. It was all dirt, rock and shale... :D

But here were some of the views I had:
106579755-M.jpg

106579899-M.jpg

Last edited:
106580093-S.jpg
106580269-S.jpg

As got closer to the top, I thought I was in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Tennessee:
106580392-M.jpg

106580513-M.jpg

I finally dropped down the other side and was in Sawyers Bar and back on the black top:
106580636-M.jpg

That road proved to be too much fun. Some one-lane then two-lane and I only passed two cars (maybe that was three cars). I can't remember, but I know that the sides of my tires were at their limit for traction during the cornering!!! :dance (Lots of 10 and 20 MPH switch-backs down the mountain and fast sweepers)

There were at least two "GEICO" Squirrels that tried to make me crash. I don't know for sure but I think one of them is still on the road or missing a tail. Silly things, what do they think I drive a station-wagon and swerve to miss them? :dunno

"Thanks Bob" I couldn't have had more fun going back to camp... :nyah

Last edited:
The Fungal in Review (Day two/Night)

I got to camp and Burnszilla was there. I said "HI" I have to get a tube and go back for Bob he's two hours from here, it's getting dark. :brow

I jumped back on and sped off into the setting sun. Back down Hwy 3 to Callahan and back up Cecilville Road.

Only this time, I was worried about deer. It was still light and with a few blinding sun in the face stretches I was burning both ends of the candle. Traffic was non-existent so the right hand got the better of me. Need to invest in a good helmet cam.

I don't need a track day anytime soon. I went up the hill at illegal speeds :brow worse than "Chasing Susan" or what ever that thread is called.

Like Bob mentioned elsewhere, my brake rotors were turning blue after the red subsided... :D

We got the tube replaced and after a few more minutes got back on the road to camp. We played follow the "Landing Lights" at 45-50 MPH and avoided any deer we saw and we saw lots of them all the way back. I nice four-point buck jumped out across the road in front me but had plenty of time to react and avoid it.

We got back to a warm fire and more people. Sector had returned early and bought some food, so we just had a good time telling stories around the campfire.

It was a great day, at least had by me... :nod

Not much to show but here are the fire shots:
106580795-M.jpg

106577291-M.jpg

It was cold that night again below 30dF... :groovy

The Fungal in Review (Day three - Home)

Sunday morning woke up with a headache (don't know why :bottle )

Everyone packed up camp, and trash and we dearly departed Indian Scotty Campground as we found it. Albeit with a little less wood... :thumb

106577347-M.jpg

106577457-M.jpg

The ride home was OK, just over 500 miles. Bob and I got rained on enough to dig out rain suits but then it stopped. I'd have been better to just ride through it all day in the Stich' and I would have arrived nice and dry at the house.

My hot tub never felt better, but I had to take a shower before doing anything. I stank - bad.

Three :bottle beers and I went to sleep...

The end.

Gallery is located here: http://SFDOC.smugmug.com/gallery/2069790/2/106577457

Can't wait 'till next year. Maybe Mt. Lassen or the Lost Coast!!! :wave

Actually that's post #3 picture #6 I cropped it so they are bigger now... :nyah

Last edited:
Great report, Doc (as usual: what else can we expect from this man?) :thumb :thumb <---2 thumbs!

This shot has got to be one of the best "what in God's name is going on here?" Moto-photojournalism images of 2006:
106577873-M.jpg

I laughed, I cried. It was better than Cats.

Wish we could have made it up there, guys. :(

It was great to meet the Fungal Riders. Did anyone see the black bear in the the middle of Scott River road when they left? I am just glad I was fiddling with my heatroller and not bopping along. That bugger came right down the hill about 1/2 mile from the campground ran in front of me for about 50 yards and then headed down the hill towards the river. :eek

Man I never have the camera handy when I need it :banghead

Hey, Great report! I can't believe you actually stopped to take pictures on your heroic ride to pick up the tube! I haven't unloaded my camera yet, but maybe I can add a few photos, if I can figure out how to attach photos to this forum!

I'm definitely up for another go at the next version of this! Next year seems like too far off...

sector said:
I'm definitely up for another go at the next version of this! Next year seems like too far off...

You never know, there could be an "anti-fungal" ride :D

Back