• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bicycling thread

Just finished the month with a bike ride. Since the C-19 "stay at home except..." rules, I've done more miles in April (365+) that in almost any April since I've been tracking miles (since 1980). The only year w/more miles was back in '07, when we did a boat/bike tour down the MS river from Memphis to New Orleans. That trip, coupled with our normal weekly rides, was somewhere above 500 IIRC. Not too bad for an old guy, then or now.

Ambitious miles you’re laying down. Hydration definitely becomes an issue if there’s any heat/humidity. For longer summer rides, I have 3 bottle cages on the frame that are all filled. But there are also typically ample re-watering opportunities around here. Not like where you’re riding, which sounds pretty tricky.

I live in an urban area so distances tallied are not as great as what can be accomplished in more open rural settings. Fortunately we have an abundance of short steep hills, so it’s still possible to get a solid workout in a modest amount of time, even if the miles or average speeds don’t sound impressive.

You guys have got me all beat. I average about 75 miles a week. I live in a rural area of Michigan so it's flat and open country. Very boring but it can be a challenge when the wind builds unobstructed. I really miss the hills when I lived in California. I do a week long tour with my daughter up the east side of Lake Michigan every year. It's about 420 miles and takes place in early August. Unfortunately, I just got news that it was cancelled. That tour has always been a great motivator for training in the summer. It's great to get off the trainer and get back on the road.

Just finished the month with a bike ride. Since the C-19 "stay at home except..." rules, I've done more miles in April (365+) that in almost any April since I've been tracking miles (since 1980). The only year w/more miles was back in '07, when we did a boat/bike tour down the MS river from Memphis to New Orleans. That trip, coupled with our normal weekly rides, was somewhere above 500 IIRC. Not too bad for an old guy, then or now.

You guys have got me all beat. I average about 75 miles a week. I live in a rural area of Michigan so it's flat and open country. Very boring but it can be a challenge when the wind builds unobstructed. I really miss the hills when I lived in California. I do a week long tour with my daughter up the east side of Lake Michigan every year. It's about 420 miles and takes place in early August. Unfortunately, I just got news that it was cancelled. That tour has always been a great motivator for training in the summer. It's great to get off the trainer and get back on the road.

Those are some neat trips you guys have taken.

And the mileage you’re doing is very respectable. I definitely prefer to hit the hills - - it’s the best way to get a decent workout around here in a reasonable amount of time. But flats can be very challenging too, especially with headwind. You never get a break from pedalling, which really builds stamina. I try to do some of that every few weeks or so, but finding time is tricky.

And if you’re accumulating a lot of those miles on an indoor trainer - - more power to you. I have one too and use it but only in extremis. Nothing takes the fun out of cycling for me quite like a stationary trainer. Thankfully we just had an especially mild winter and I didn’t need to use it even a single time.

Just finished the month with a bike ride. Since the C-19 "stay at home except..." rules, I've done more miles in April (365+) that in almost any April since I've been tracking miles (since 1980).

I have 490 miles this year and I think about 450 of those miles were ridden in April.
I can't go to the gym so I ride when I can.
Now that the weather is warm I would like to go to the Des Moines area bike trails, but Des Moines is the hot spot for Iowa.
With so many people off work now I bet the bike trails are busy and that would make it difficult to social distance.

I have 490 miles this year and I think about 450 of those miles were ridden in April.
I can't go to the gym so I ride when I can.
Now that the weather is warm I would like to go to the Des Moines area bike trails, but Des Moines is the hot spot for Iowa.
With so many people off work now I bet the bike trails are busy and that would make it difficult to social distance.

I can confirm that in my area the paved trails are very crowded with users - - much more so than normal. It’s like everyday is a beautiful weekend after a long stretch of rain.

Not complaining - - it’s nice that people are getting out for fresh air. But I have pretty much had to stop using the trails since the lockdown began - - there just isn’t enough space to social distance. Plus a high percentage of the users are newbies and haven’t learned the safety protocols or trail etiquette yet. So it’s tricky to ride for reasons beyond social distancing.

I live in an urban area so my experience may be very different from trails in rural areas.

I can confirm that in my area the paved trails are very crowded with users - - much more so than normal. It’s like everyday is a beautiful weekend after a long stretch of rain.

Not complaining - - it’s nice that people are getting out for fresh air. But I have pretty much had to stop using the trails since the lockdown began - - there just isn’t enough space to social distance. Plus a high percentage of the users are newbies and haven’t learned the safety protocols or trail etiquette yet. So it’s tricky to ride for reasons beyond social distancingI live in an urban area so my experience may be very different from trails in rural areas.

Trails are indeed crowded, but the rural roads are only lightly traveled (this is changing rapidly, as the states are beginning to open up). April was a nice month to ride, as roads we couldn't/wouldn't ride in February because of high, uncomfortable traffic, were a delight to ride. Wish that part of the Covid-19 would stay! I took the RT out today, and while the sideroads were almost totally traffic free, the major highways connecting them were ramping back up to pre-Covid19 volumes. When all the businesses can once again open their doors, I'm afraid my mileages will drop again, and we'll have to drive farther to find low-traffic roads. (Trails aren't a major option in Alabama).

Until everything is open again, enjoy your ride! I certainly intend to do the same.

I am enjoying hearing your perspectives, as relates to riding, across the country and across the globe.

Here in NY state, we have a weird situation. The politicians talk about the situation as 'NY State' but what they really mean is 'NY City'. Today the governor showed a statistic of where the highest numbers of new infections by county. All were in the greater NYC area except Erie (Buffalo) which was way down on the list. Equally down on the list was 'rest of the state' - which is where I live. So, locally, we are following the mandated guidelines - which are driven by what is happening in NYC. There are a few isolated cases here and when there is a reported hospitalization, the reporting of where, when, and all of whom should be concerned is very quick.

So the roads are fairly empty. But they weren't that crowded to start with. Most people aren't impatient - a little better than normal. There is one exception. People who drive large diesel pickups. Maybe they are pissed that they have to work as normal while 'everyone else' can hang out with their families. They are very aggravated that I'm riding my bike in the afternoon and are eager to show me their displeasure by either passing way too close, accelerating entirely unnecessarily right next to me, or, in a few rare instances, 'rolling coal'. I really didn't even know that was a thing here - I had only seen it in the midwest.

Oh well, nothing new. At least I haven't had anything thrown at me so far this year.

There is one exception. People who drive large diesel pickups. Maybe they are pissed that they have to work as normal while 'everyone else' can hang out with their families. They are very aggravated that I'm riding my bike in the afternoon and are eager to show me their displeasure by either passing way too close, accelerating entirely unnecessarily right next to me, or, in a few rare instances, 'rolling coal'. I really didn't even know that was a thing here - I had only seen it in the midwest.

It might be they're pissed that they are paying so much for their diesel. Here in Michigan, the price of diesel is going up while gas prices are plummeting. The differential is almost $2/gal right now.

accelerating entirely unnecessarily right next to me, or, in a few rare instances, 'rolling coal'. .

I don't get the rolling coal thing. I've had it happen to me in town a couple times.
Here's a picture for those who don't know what it is.
ECXHFBGOSEZJNAFIUSH2G65TGI.jpeg

I've certainly noticed an increase in aggressiveness by motorists over the last week or so on my rides. I've no doubt that the current economic situation has taken many people to their personal edge of sanity and I do have sympathy for them. My riding partner and I did get several "one finger" salutes during our loop ride yesterday. We are on wide open, two lane highways, he rides on the shoulder and I'm about a foot into the lane from the edge. No opposing traffic, yet because people have to move over slightly, we still get the honk and one finger salute. Wow.

Up to this point, our community has been very observant of social distancing, wearing masks when out, etc. It has resulted in about 50 confirmed cases of COVID in a county of about 180,000. The local, regional hospital has had very few patients to treat so the virus has been very manageable. However, in the last week you can tell people are getting very restless and many of the cautions are going out the window. I have great fear that our community is setting itself up for a major blow up from the virus in about 30 days.

I don't get the rolling coal thing. I've had it happen to me in town a couple times.
Here's a picture for those who don't know what it is.
View attachment 78350

Usually from the diesel truck owners that have turned the engine horsepower up. Many diesel engines performance can be “dialed in” through the use of aftermarket performance engine “tuners”.
OM

Gotta agree on some bad behavior from the cagers the last few rides.
There is a major pipeline project in progress and a lot of our calm backroads have become truck paths. We got coaled riding on the shoulder as he slowed for a group of cruisers were entering city limits and was on their tails honking to speed up I guess. Had a buddy behind him also driving a flat bed. Right as we were slowing to let that all develop he downshifts and gave us a puff... H was not impressed to say the least.

We also now get the pass us and drive on shoulder half way just as you clear us...subtle!

People are definitely wound up as things open , we are still trying to do the right thing...’both for C-19 and idiot drivers

On a slight drift ... got seriously Coaled twice in Appalachia...WV and TN, while on my GSA last summer. Looked me right in the eye and throttle up at a light and one passing me on a four lane. Calm thoughts prevailed

I agree about increasing traffic. Three weeks ago it was a ghost town, not so much anymore.

Even during the ghost town days, there was some tricky driving to deal with. On three consecutive rides, I witnessed multiple vehicles blow through stop signs and even solid red lights. All contractors in pick-ups. I guess they felt with no traffic on the road, the rules were suspended. I hollered “hey” at one guy who blew a red light - - I was passing through the intersection on green - - he gave me the finger and shouted f-u.

But in this urban area, in routine times, most of the close calls with vehicles are due to cell phone use. Too many near misses to count, and with the driver usually completely oblivious.

I have had “rolling coal” encounters, too, usually in rural areas. The most notable was on a long straightaway with good visibility forward and behind, me solo riding, no other traffic other than the pick-up coming up from behind. I was as close to roadside as possible, which is where I always ride.

This guy leans on the horn beginning from about an 1/8 mile behind me. Full downshift for maximum exhaust, and comes so close during the pass that his right side mirror grazes my left shoulder. Horn on entire time. Lots of fun.

I wish our county and state roads had paved shoulder so I had more riding options. The gravel shoulder rarely matches the road so dropping to the shoulder doesn't work very well with a road bike.
I used to ride the county roads but now there's too many drivers reading a cell phone while driving.

I ride Michigan state highway around here. There are nice wide shoulders that were financed during the TARP money. It was wonderful. Then the MDOT chief ordered all state roads to have rumble strips ground on the shoulders and then they chip sealed them. The rumble strips cut the width in half and the chip seal makes for a bumpy ride. Bummer...

This discussion leads me to some current thinking I've been having. Like many of you, I've been a road bike rider forever. I also rode mountain bikes for a number of years, until I had so many friends getting seriously injured I decided maybe it was time to give it up (you know, those decisions you make as you get older and don't heal as quickly...is this something I enjoy so much it wouldn't matter if I were healing for a few months from the activity and couldn't participate in my other activities because of it?). Anyway, gravel biking is beginning to become pretty popular in my community (for a lot of the reasons just discussed about near misses on the road due to distracted motorists, angry motorists, cell phone users, whatever) and I'm beginning to think about transitioning from mostly road biking to gravel biking:

https://dirtyfreehub.com

I would be interested in any thoughts from this community? Is anybody transitioning to gravel biking? Has anyone purchased a gravel bike?

Thanks!

I ride Michigan state highway around here. There are nice wide shoulders that were financed during the TARP money. It was wonderful. Then the MDOT chief ordered all state roads to have rumble strips ground on the shoulders and then they chip sealed them. The rumble strips cut the width in half and the chip seal makes for a bumpy ride. Bummer...

Yep those rumble strips eat up a lot of the shoulder.

Thankfully little to no cell coverage within 15-20 km's of me on either side so no worries about texting drivers and I haven'y been in the hospital for trauma since I stopped racing DH.

This discussion leads me to some current thinking I've been having. Like many of you, I've been a road bike rider forever. I also rode mountain bikes for a number of years, until I had so many friends getting seriously injured I decided maybe it was time to give it up (you know, those decisions you make as you get older and don't heal as quickly...is this something I enjoy so much it wouldn't matter if I were healing for a few months from the activity and couldn't participate in my other activities because of it?). Anyway, gravel biking is beginning to become pretty popular in my community (for a lot of the reasons just discussed about near misses on the road due to distracted motorists, angry motorists, cell phone users, whatever) and I'm beginning to think about transitioning from mostly road biking to gravel biking:

https://dirtyfreehub.com

I would be interested in any thoughts from this community? Is anybody transitioning to gravel biking? Has anyone purchased a gravel bike?

Thanks!

I transitioned to a “gravel bike” well over a decade ago. At that time “gravel bikes” didn’t really exist, because disc brakes hadn’t made their way over to roadbikes yet in any significant way. So rim brake calipers limited the size of wheels/tires that could be used. So I purchased a cyclecross bike and modified it somewhat to be more of a gravel/road bike.

I am still riding that bike today and will never go back to a straight roadbike. I find roadbikes are just too limiting. This bike can run up to 38c width tires, but I typically run 28, 30, or 32c depending on anticipated terrains. 30c ends up being a very good all-around width, and running at <60psi the ride is softer. I can ride anything from rough rutted gravel/packed dirt to pavement. I have no trouble keeping up with pure roadbikes on pavement, either.

This really is my “anything bike.” Short of technical mountain-bike terrain, it can handle almost anything. It’s really nice to be able to plan a multi-surface jaunt, or happen upon some unexpected gravel path or shortcut/detour and not have to turn back.

The modern breed of gravel bikes are even better, purpose built with improved disc brakes and better gearing options now with the new groupsets. I can’t recommend this style of bike enough. Very versatile and fun.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Quite a few of the reclaimed railroad bed trails in central Iowa started as gravel, then changed to blacktop or concrete.
There's a nice 240 mile gravel trail in Missouri that runs near the Missouri River (Katy Trail) that a friend I did a 2 day ride on.
https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park
Nice little bars, food joints and parks along the route.
I have a hybrid I use for gravel trails but if I was starting over I might just have a nice carbon fiber gravel bike with two sets of wheels.

Back