• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

The Blackfeet Reservation is bordered by the Canadian border to the north, Glacier NP to the west, a north/south line from the Canadian border through Cut Bank to Hwy 44 on the east and then a line from Hwy 44 SW to Swift Reservoir on the Park boundary to the south.

Search for "Blackfeet Reservation" on Google Maps for a clearer picture of the reservation boundary.

There is private property within the reservation boundaries and at least one Hutterite Colony.

The Blackfeet Reservation is bordered by the Canadian border to the north, Glacier NP to the west, a north/south line from the Canadian border through Cut Bank to Hwy 44 on the east and then a line from Hwy 44 SW to Swift Reservoir on the Park boundary to the south.

Search for "Blackfeet Reservation" on Google Maps for a clearer picture of the reservation boundary.

There is private property within the reservation boundaries and at least one Hutterite Colony.

That's what I thought. So, the GS'ers aren't just riding around someone's forest road gate.

There are seven reservations in Montana. We’ve ridden in them all and transit four of them on a regular basis. For the most part it is no different than riding anywhere else in Montana and we rarely encounter tribal or BIA LEOs. They are, however, sovereign entities and for the most part make and enforce the rules as they deem appropriate.

The reservations are (the Little Shell tribe is recognized by Montana but not Federally recognized; they do not have a reservation):

• Blackfeet Tribe of the Blackfeet Reservation
  • Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Reservation
  • Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
  • Crow Tribe of the Crow Reservation
  • Fort Belknap Tribes of the Fort Belknap Reservation
  • Fort Peck Tribes of the Fort Peck Reservation
  • Little Shell Chippewa Tribe (state recognized)
  • Northern Cheyenne Tribe of the Northern Cheyenne Reservation

I'm reminded...

It was about this time in July of 1806, that a fellow named Meriwether and a few cohort's...
"visited" with the ancestors of those folks, and not so far from Glacier's East Gate.

The guys were on horseback, what I would call an "off-road" expedition.

Seems there may have been a disagreement concerning trespassing... along with firearms and animal ownership.

They were exploring and enjoying the Montana outdoors streams and wildlife (if you call being chased by a grizzly, enjoyment).

Even back then, the tribal authority determined the "turn-around point" in that region... but for far different reasons.

If you find yourself out riding NW of Great Falls, about 25mi SE of Browning MT...
stop and read the Historical Marker describing the Two Medicine Fight Site.

History, while important and very interesting... seldom is it pretty.

It was about this time in July of 1806, that a fellow named Meriwether and a few cohort's...
"visited" with the ancestors of those folks, and not so far from Glacier's East Gate.

The guys were on horseback, what I would call an "off-road" expedition.

Seems there may have been a disagreement concerning trespassing... along with firearms and animal ownership.

They were exploring and enjoying the Montana outdoors streams and wildlife (if you call being chased by a grizzly, enjoyment).

Even back then, the tribal authority determined the "turn-around point" in that region... but for far different reasons.

If you find yourself out riding NW of Great Falls, about 25mi SE of Browning MT...
stop and read the Historical Marker describing the Two Medicine Fight Site.

History, while important and very interesting... seldom is it pretty.

Had to suck for the residents when the new owners showed up to inspect the property they purchased from the old owners that the residents never met........

The non-resident landlords that had given themselves title to the property. Like that meeting where the Pope gave one half of the new world to Spain and the other to Portugal.

In keeping with this precedent, I, 36654, give you and Voni the northern Hemisphere of Saturn.

The non-resident landlords that had given themselves title to the property. Like that meeting where the Pope gave one half of the new world to Spain and the other to Portugal.

In keeping with this precedent, I, 36654, give you and Voni the northern Hemisphere of Saturn.

Do not accept... it is a trap. The parcel is the epitome of an environmental superfund site. Accept it and you will be on the hook for the clean up.

My area has grown rapidly for many years driving by immigrants from much warmer states. It seems each of them drives a 4WD SUV, so it's both funny and frightening to watch them try to stay out of the ditch after our first big snow of the season. It's clear most people never learned about inertia in physics class. :banghead

We have people move up from lower Michigan and the first thing they do is go out and buy an Exxon Valdez SUV to survive the harsh winters (and we are not even in the Upper Peninsula). SUV's don't make you a winter driver anymore than a GS making you instantly understand how to ride in the dirt. The wife and I get around just fine with smaller two wheel drive vehicles. Some of the winter tires they now make (they go on all corners) can really get you down the road. The only real problem is ground clearance in deep snow before a plow. We have a military installation in the county and in the winter when talking to Washington D.C. they would always ask how much snow we had. It took a while to figure out and we would remind them that we had not missed a day of work in over four years due to snow. We always figured that our work was important enough to buy snow removal equipment. When they get a dusting in D.C. its a major issue.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Speaking of snow, in the winter of 1804/05, just about 777mi directly west of Grayling... Meriwether's party hunkered down, until springtime.

But can you imagine this; from that "turn around point" near Two Medicine Creek this week in 1806...
by nightfall they had ridden the horses an estimated 80 miles!

These stories and more... at the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Interpretive Center, Great Falls Montana.

Do not accept... it is a trap. The parcel is the epitome of an environmental superfund site. Accept it and you will be on the hook for the clean up.

Superfund? Only, if King Paul and Queen Voni want to declare it as such.

BTW - the Southern Hemisphere is still available.

We have people move up from lower Michigan and the first thing they do is go out and buy an Exxon Valdez SUV to survive the harsh winters (and we are not even in the Upper Peninsula). SUV's don't make you a winter driver anymore than a GS making you instantly understand how to ride in the dirt. The wife and I get around just fine with smaller two wheel drive vehicles. Some of the winter tires they now make (they go on all corners) can really get you down the road. The only real problem is ground clearance in deep snow before a plow. We have a military installation in the county and in the winter when talking to Washington D.C. they would always ask how much snow we had. It took a while to figure out and we would remind them that we had not missed a day of work in over four years due to snow. We always figured that our work was important enough to buy snow removal equipment. When they get a dusting in D.C. its a major issue.

In my working days, I frequently commuted from central PA to DC for work. You were being kind in the description of the DC reaction to the occasional snow flurry. And, no a massive SUV doesn't help. It's the same incompetent driver in a massive vehicle instead of a smaller one. They're in the ditch and clueless as to why.........

Back