• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Pretty sure that's me walking by the fence-line... with the "what-ta-hell did we pay extra for this look".

Quick! Anybody have a pic of those June snow-capped Montana mountains; just to avoid nightmares you know.

I think I worked registration every morning. It was a 75-mile commute on I-80 from the house. I worked the 4-hr shift at registration (sweating like a pig), walked thru the vendor area, and ate an ice cream cone. Then, I did the return leg of the 75-mile commute. I was, possibly, the only attendee that didn't risk heat stroke.

Among the other sins of Bloomsburg, I was (unbeknownst to me at the time) about to be called up on stage to receive the Gerhard Knocklein Award. So, Voni who was clued in (and also was going to get a mileage award) had us sitting in the front row when the flame cars went by. The ambient temperature was bad enough and the cars added injury to insult.

Among the other sins of Bloomsburg, I was (unbeknownst to me at the time) about to be called up on stage to receive the Gerhard Knocklein Award. So, Voni who was clued in (and also was going to get a mileage award) had us sitting in the front row when the flame cars went by. The ambient temperature was bad enough and the cars added injury to insult.

You misunderstood at the time—you were both just being feted at a roast!
:D

DeVern

I think I worked registration every morning. It was a 75-mile commute on I-80 from the house. I worked the 4-hr shift at registration (sweating like a pig), walked thru the vendor area, and ate an ice cream cone. Then, I did the return leg of the 75-mile commute. I was, possibly, the only attendee that didn't risk heat stroke.

The average highs in Bloomsburg for the our rally week were in the high 80's, IIRC. I know that the week before and the week after it was in the 80's. But, that particular week there was a massive heat wave all over the upper Midwest and lower Northeast states. On the Sunday getaway ride I met a guy from Chicago who said it was over 90 degree when left home at 5:00am.

About once a week, I scan the on-line newspaper in Great falls, the Tribune, for articles of interest.

Wildlife, weather, the land, resources, ect... usually get a read.

Today I see, through the few months since winter broke in the three state Greater Yellowstone Region... there have been 7, nope scratch that...
make that 8 Grizzly attacks. (post #779 below 7/27/20)

The usual number is one through end of July. The increase attributed to more folks in backcountry recreation endeavors.

Our bikes, especially GS types, easily take us to beautiful and remote locations.

Even a shaded pull off along a stream; know what your doing.

It's not a different food-chain throughout that region... your just not on top.

Last edited:
Just gotta be chill, man...

Unfortunately, grizz are not as chill as your basic black bear.

DeVern

She only had to outrun the girl with the backpack on! I could bear-ly stand watching... that generally would not work out for the best.

Last weekend the tv networks were showing a clip of a big brown, that crashed open a wooded cabin door.
The interior camera shows the bear step inside for a look see, then turn and reluctantly depart.
Sorta like it was looking for the guy who took a shot at it last season!

A metal out-swing storm door would have went a long way to prevent the forced entry.

Yeah, my tent doesn't have one of those either.

Takes up "almost" no space in the bag and it's always dry when you pack-it in the morning.

Yep !! And I have another one I believe is a Best Western brand that works almost as well but is just a bit more basic.

You's guy's must see each other quite often at the MOA Get-a-Way's!

Mine & thousand's of other member tent's, have never been there.

I will admit; I've packed both "type" on every touring ride.

And frequently use both; that "hard side" one is wonderful just after three to five nights at the National.

A ratio of about 4 to 1... on a four to six week summer ride, is best for me. The price-point of extended travel works out favorably that way.

Bear in mind, I have to use caution on some of those camp nights along a babbling brook.

Ironically, I've actually had more "unwelcome" action from both bison & bear while on the bike riding.

You's guy's must see each other quite often at the MOA Get-a-Way's!

Mine & thousand's of other member tent's, have never been there.

I will admit; I've packed both "type" on every touring ride.

And frequently use both; that "hard side" one is wonderful just after three to five nights at the National.

A ratio of about 4 to 1... on a four to six week summer ride, is best for me. The price-point of extended travel works out favorably that way.

Bear in mind, I have to use caution on some of those camp nights along a babbling brook.

Ironically, I've actually had more "unwelcome" action from both bison & bear while on the bike riding.

Surprisingly I have meet numerous similar "campers" along my travels and at the National, some I still keep in touch with and one who I rode with for 20 years before he passed. I would like to enjoy the "other" type camping along the babbling brook too ... but on a clear cool and dry night. But those are somewhat rare I hear.

Here’s a fellow who went looking for a grizzly. Unfortunately, looking for the bear is where his plan ended. Although he had no plan for what he would do when he found the bear, the bear did have a plan.

https://helenair.com/outdoors/monta...de88079.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears will kill you." One of my favorite t-shirts.

https://www.roadkilltshirts.com/wha...-except-for-bears-bears-will-kill-you-t-shirt

Back