• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texters grrr...

How many ppl actually "TURN OFF" their electronic device at some point during each day? Some Saturday's I leave it off all day, ever night it is turned off at some point. Just remember these are all tools for a use and should not run our lives. Just my opinion. :wave

my office is in what used to be the balcony of the Aeolian Hall Auditorium (where gershwin first performed rhapsody in blue) it is surrounded huge structural supports and lots of granite, no reception possible. it stays in my coat pocket the whole time i'm there, i don't mind.

but as soon as i get out, i usually get a flood of email, texts, bbms and other things

i'm also addicted to google latitude, i like seeing where all my friends are at any given time.

I am very familiar with the off and mute features on my cell phone. I use them in various settings and times. On my bike or in my cage I turn my cell phone off and assume the others around me are distracted idiots. I have worked from a home office for years. Once or twice a month I receive an email from a secretary in the main office,my family or some else reminding me to turn the darn thing back on.
:ha

I think the GPS is the next big distraction. I had some idiot do a wholesale lane change in front of me to get off the Xway, and all the time he was staring at his GPS, never looked in his mirrors or turned his head to see who was next to him while going from the extreme left lane to the exit.

I think the GPS is the next big distraction. I had some idiot do a wholesale lane change in front of me to get off the Xway, and all the time he was staring at his GPS, never looked in his mirrors or turned his head to see who was next to him while going from the extreme left lane to the exit.

Indeed.

In 1985 I had a job offer from some company named Ashton Tate, that would have involved a move to Silicon Valley. They flew me and my wife up there and, among other things, we played tag team house hunting with two realtors.

The first had a very high tech inertial positioning system in her car. (Remember, this is long before the public access to the GPS systems.) There was a large box in the trunk with the gyros, a computer and a custom map database. Mounted to the dash was a small black and white vector graphics display.

The realtor really freaked me out because she watched the display so intently, so often. Then, when she suddenly realized that she had passed a street we were supposed to turn on, she threw the car into reverse, and without taking her eyes off the display, proceeded to back up until the little avatar on the display was adjacent to the street.

Fortunately, we lived to tell the tale, and also fortunately, I decided not to take the job with them.

Texting While Driving

The fact that this happens at all is hard to understand. The numbers make it very frightening. Twenty-six percent of drivers admit to texting while driving. :jawdrop Remember when a weaving car meant some had probably been drinking (just as dangerous)?

A special warning to our number in the state of Tennessee or those passing through for the Rally. The numbers there are much higher.

Feel free to rant if you like, but we all need to be careful out there.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.4b327b207e784e38600488dcd30fa14c.2a1&show_article=1

I just returned from VA again by way of WV, Ky and IN....much of my riding was on the slab and it almost seemed to me that there were more people using their phones while driving than were not....even older people.

One of my friends, or should I say ex-wife of one of my friends, changed her facebook status to "has lots of driving to do today. feel free to text me to keep me company."

It's more common all the time...

Even though it's been made illegal in Minnesota, you still see many drivers texting, even during rush hour. I wish I could hit a button on my 'cycle and make their phone disintegrate in their hands and melt to the horn on their steering wheel.

I've worked in IT for the last 30 years, much of it tethered to work via a cellphone and/or pager. I rarely even answer my phone when driving, and I certainly won't respond to a text message. When I punch out of work on vacation, the laptop is off and stays at home. I will take the cell for convenience, I don't check e-mail.

Teenagers and even 20-somethings are down right rude with their cell phone and texting use. It's gotten out of hand. Now with Twitter, it's gotten even worse...

Makes getting a jammer more appealling, although the phone cutting out would probably just create an even greater hazard as they look at the phone screen and hit redial or whatever. Probably wouldn't have an effect on a txter, either, IMHO LOL and all that rot....
Gilly

Back