• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texters grrr...

Bdiver

Sign Guy
After work yesterday I'm merging onto the freeway and notice a car just barely ahead of my position (on the freeway). Decisions, decisions, should I just blast up in front or chill out and just get in behind, I decide to "do the right thing" and slow down and merge behind.

Most days I can just zip around and be gone to a safer spot on the road but yesterday traffic was very heavy and I just had to sit behind this person. While everyone was going the the 60+ range this person was going between 50-55, weaving back and forth in the lane and constantly looking up & down (like at the radio or something...) Finally, about 1 mile down the road I'm able to get over to the next lane and I get up close to the drivers door to see what is going on. The window is down about 2-3 inches and here is this 20 something gal holding her phone on the horn part of the steering wheel just texting away while trying to drive. :doh Well nothing gets me hotter than some chump putting everyone at risk while driving and not paying attention so I laid on the HORN at which time she jumped up in her seat and almost tossed the phone out the window while swerving a bit more than her usual. I was prepared for this and also was yelling in my helmet (I know it doesn't do any good, she can't hear me...) and I also was waving my left arm at her:nono . Now she drops way back in speed and who knows what happened after that. I wish I could have called the cops but probably nothing would be done.

Just venting on the stupidity of the younger folks who feel they NEED to Text while driving. Hope all your drives are safe.

ever try texting while riding? it's kinda hard unless you have the right gloves.:D

Just venting on the stupidity of the younger folks who feel they NEED to Text while driving. Hope all your drives are safe.

IMO, a trend started in the mid-to-late 1980's when pagers became affordable to the average person. All of a sudden everyone had to be accessible 24/7. With cell phones and now texting, it's gotten worse. Some how most of us are guilty of encouraging this. We get upset when we have to wait a bit to get a hold of someone. I think we all know people who bring laptops, cellphones and Blackberry's ON vacation. God forbid they should take a week or two off and relax.

Remember the days when you used to get those pink (at least I remember them being pink) phone call slips when you got back to the office.

One of my favorite aspects of riding is being cut off from the outside electronic world.

When riding, I can't answer my phone, return emails, surf the web, or text my friends.

I like it that way.

When riding, I can't answer my phone, return emails, surf the web, or text my friends.

I like it that way.

I agree, although I am not one to just stick my head in the sand. I cannot imagine anything more disheartening than having to answer a phone call on my RT. I do, however, find my iPhone to be very nice during stops to check weather radar, check the stocks, check the news, and check e-mail while I'm out and about. Want to stay somewhat connected, just do not feel an urgency about it. But, I don't answer in my car either.........need both hands!:D YMMV.

I was in my truck, hauling ass down 70 once, outside of St Louis.

Some person was doing the same thing, but when I passed her, she sped way up to catch up with me. Then, she was riding my ass while texting. :scratch I could see her in my mirror not looking. So, being a jerk, I waited until the coast was clear around us and tapped my brakes just long enough for her to FLIP OUT, slam on the brakes, and pay attention. Normally, I don't brake check, but she deserved the wake up... text.

Who knows how long it lasted, though.. Had I honked, I doubt she would have paid much attention.

Some person was doing the same thing, but when I passed her, she sped way up to catch up with me. Then, she was riding my ass while texting. :scratch I could see her in my mirror not looking. So, being a jerk, I waited until the coast was clear around us and tapped my brakes just long enough for her to FLIP OUT, slam on the brakes, and pay attention. Normally, I don't brake check, but she deserved the wake up... text.

Who knows how long it lasted, though.. Had I honked, I doubt she would have paid much attention.

if you have a car that might be a tad on the "beat" side and you're not too worried about it, try that same trick with the emergency brake. can produce more amusing frustrations.

There's so much wrong here that could have been avoided by pulling over and letting her get out of your nightmare. MSF training.

I'm glad I bought the Zumo 450 instead of the 550. When riding I do not need Bluetooth enabled phone or GPS instructions distracting me from paying attention to my riding in a safe manor. I initially resisted getting a GPS feeling that it would be a distraction but now that I've used mine over a 3200 mile trip my perception is that I only use it to verify speed and direction while moving. If I need more information it gives me a good excuse to pull over, rest my legs/butt, and relax for a few minutes. Texting compounds the danger posed by those who insist on talking on thier cell phones while driving. Some studies on accidents suggest that cell phone user's have the same impaired response to potential traffic problems as people that are drunk while driving. Even people using newer phones requiring no manual manipulation while driving exhibit poor driving habits as they are not focused on driving. Our being vigilant while driving, ATGATT, MSF, etc will not prevent all mishaps, thus we have no guarantees of a soft landing.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

How many ppl actually "TURN OFF" their electronic device at some point during each day? Some Saturday's I leave it off all day, ever night it is turned off at some point. Just remember these are all tools for a use and should not run our lives. Just my opinion. :wave

I carry my Blackberry for emergency use, and checking email in the evenings when I'm stopped. When I crashed last weekend there was no cell phone coverage, so I used the SPOT to call 911. The phone was useful later for calling people who had responded to my Anonymous pleas for help. Other than that, it stays off.

Note: both my Blackberry and the SPOT are on my riding suit. They do no good if they remain with the bike.

Holly

How many ppl actually "TURN OFF" their electronic device at some point during each day? Some Saturday's I leave it off all day, ever night it is turned off at some point. Just remember these are all tools for a use and should not run our lives. Just my opinion. :wave

Use to leave pager and phone in work truck at end of "normal" day. If the dispatcher or my zombie boss wanted me...call me at my home number...I regularly saw pages at 3AM from the Zombie and had to listen to his pleasant voice as to why I didn't wear it to bed( as most of my fellow supervisors did) early the next day...I hated being tied down, as I told him unless someone is hurt or we had a tornado...leave me ALONE at home.

IMO, a trend started in the mid-to-late 1980's when pagers became affordable to the average person. All of a sudden everyone had to be accessible 24/7. With cell phones and now texting, it's gotten worse. Some how most of us are guilty of encouraging this. We get upset when we have to wait a bit to get a hold of someone. I think we all know people who bring laptops, cellphones and Blackberry's ON vacation. God forbid they should take a week or two off and relax.

Remember the days when you used to get those pink (at least I remember them being pink) phone call slips when you got back to the office.
Believe it or not, at the office where I work we still use a paper phone log. It's low tech, but it's quick (pick it up and look) and the paper makes a great note for recording follow up.

Just this evening my wife commented about the 80's and early 90's when we lived in another state -- she would call her Mother each Saturday, after the rates dropped. It was a weekly ritual around which everything else was scheduled.

My work required some travel, and I would leave and go on business trips and only call in the evenings after dinner and before turning in for the night. That amounted to a half dozen conversations a week. Now it seems I have that many each morning. I will admit that getting a text from my girls (one grown and married, and the other a junior in college) is special. They don't wear out the keys with mindless trivia and both are very safety conscious.

How did we live without being on such short tethers?

Back