• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Got Hit Yesterday!

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I was between two SUVs leading coming off a highway off ramp which was becoming part of a ramp for another exit yesterday. While riding and waiting to merge onto the highway a small red car must not have seen the bike and rider (me) in the space between them. Just before the vehicle entered my space, I saw the car in the mirror and made a brief attempt to get out her way (a young woman was driving). Next thing I knew, I was hit and the driver went into the passing lane. The bike wobbled back and forth a number of times but I managed to keep it upright. The left foot peg seemed to be missing. I rode along a bit beside her and then behind, with her in the passing lane and me in the fog lane, wondering where we'd pull over to exchange information as there was no immediate safe location to do so. She then booted it out of sight and took a turn off road. I didn't get her license # as I thought I'd get that when we'd pull over.

About ten kilometres or so down the road, I pulled over at gas station to see if I still had the side stand tang; I did but no footpeg. Got off the bike and the foot peg plate and missing foot peg were the only damage. Rode home for the on back roads for an hour and a half, with feet sometimes dangling down, sometimes perched on the passenger pegs.

Weird things are that my foot received no contact or injury and I felt no fear nor anger, just relief that what could have been terrible was quite manageable.

It was somewhat ironic that yesterday was the day that I had just completed riding 300,000 kms with no accidents (until the young lady with the red car bumped into me.) :doh 2022 Foot Peg Plate Damage.jpg

Wow...that's pretty scary and glad it did not cause you to crash, and that you are ok.

I have to wonder if she even knew she hit you...whether for a "valid" reason (could there be one?) or because she was just oblivious to what was happening around her.

SPP

Last edited:
Glad to read that you're ok. It's bad enough that people don't keep a proper lookout, but much worse when some won't even stop after they cause an collision.

There's usually a good reason people don't stop and exchange information, i.e., no insurance, no valid driver's license, intoxication, outstanding warrants, etc. You're one lucky person. That collision could have really messed up your foot.

E.

Man, glad you are still good.

Too bad you couldn't share on YouTube.

It would be a learning lesson for a great many!

That's why among other reasons that I have front & rear cameras on all of my vehicles.

What camera and recording system is used? Same on all vehicles? I have noticed that a number of bicycle riders have always-on cameras on their bikes to record accidents.

Happy for you

I am happy for you that you made out as well as you did due to your skill in riding. Give thanks to God you are in good shape! LOL, I am recovering from my own accident in which I totaled my bike and a car. A few seconds of distraction while waving at a couple of bikers on the side of the road and I rear ended a stopped car in front of me. I am just about at the three hundred mile BMW mark. This is the third time on the pavement and the first that is entirely my fault. Again thanks be to God I am walking and talking. St.

The fact that you stayed upright speaks volumes to your accumulated riding skills. :thumb

Glad you came away unscathed.

The good news is a used replacement part is on its’ way, complete with two foot pegs. :thumb

Again, I am so pleased that the outcome was what it was. It could have so much worse.

Just in case the good luck continues, I bought two lottery tickets this morning. :)

What camera and recording system is used? Same on all vehicles? I have noticed that a number of bicycle riders have always-on cameras on their bikes to record accidents.

For my motorcycles I have the Thinkware Sports M1 Dash Cams & for my cars I have the Viofo 4K Ultra HD A129 Pro Dash Cams. I haven't done any research on dash cams in awhile and there is probably better products out now.

Paul, I’m so glad you are ok. The world doesn’t have enough Paul Ruffells as is, we simply can’t afford to loose you.

Back