• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us how you came to own your first BMW:

In 1976 I was on my second bike a Honda 500 4 cylinder. It had been a good bike and I had no real complaints with it other than the paint was fading badly. I wanted a new bike and sine a bike was my only transportation I wanted something reliable. I had seen several beemers around town and I had been told that they were the best long distance and reliable bikes around. I found a new 76 750/6 and dressed it up. I had a windjammer fairing, saddle bags and a trunk box installed on it, all painted to match the blue of the bike.

Right after I got it back from it's 500 mile service I was rear ended by a drunk driver. It almost totalled it out. It took about 2 months to get it back and I had a week to get ready to go on a trip. I received my orders to report to Ft McClellan for my Officers basic. I packed up and drove the bike to Alabama from Arizona on my first cross the country trip. That bike never left me stranded anywhere. The only failure I had was a diaphragm in the carb. I sold it 50k miles later to my buddy and picked up a very used R100 and put a windjammer and bags on it. I still have a beemer right now, a 90 K75 RT.

First Beemer

Well.... After 30 years of riding "other" brands I finally succumbed to BMW fever. I understand now. OK, I have been misguided in the past, but now I repent. An 04' R1150R is now living in my garage, just too cool. My favorite riding buddy (a long time BMW guy) says I'm a "convert" I don't know if he means that in a good way or not....
Joe

Attachments

• DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 482
nice looking bike Joe. How do you get the rear fender extension to stay on? I lost them off of both of my Rocksters (not that I own two of them, they were in succession) within about 150 miles. Maybe Michigan roads are a lot more bumpy than yours.

2popfire said:
Well.... After 30 years of riding "other" brands I finally succumbed to BMW fever.

Nice Bike Joe! Love the bigger screen and Big Mak bag. Where in NY are you? My family is stretched from Canajoharie to Utica but we vacation near Saranac Lake every summer.

First Beemer

I've had motorcycle fever for as long as I can remember. My parents never rode bikes and had no interest in them as I recall. I used to see kids in the neighborhood wiz by my house on their XR75's...Considering you worked for everything you wanted at my house, I got myself a paper route and saved enough for a Suzuki TS90 (used and beaten half to death). From there came a succession of dirt bikes (TS 185, KX250). When I went off to college, I could not afford the insurance and gas for the monster truck I built so I sold it and bought a Yamaha XS400 for $700 found at a local HD dealer. I rode that through school without a hiccup. Upon graduation, I wanted a real bike, so, after procuring employment and a few bucks, I too cashed in a few savings bonds and my Mom co-signed my loan (with an implied promise not to kill myself) for a leftover '84 Kaw GPz-550 which I proceeded to ride for 37k miles...After the wirng harness was destroyed by vermin during winter storage, I became restless, owning various rice rockets - CB750F, VFR 750, Honda Hawk GT (my favorite) and lastly a ZRX1100. The ZRX was an awesome bike. It looked great, was fast, comfortable and reliable but was personally uninspiring. Last winter I was going through my usual February "I think I need a new bike" fever and started wandering around the dealers in my area. After a few visits to the asian brands, I knew that wasn't what would cure my chronic affliction (although I almost bought a leftover Honda SuperHawk for $6500 NEW). I came to terms with exactly what I wanted in a long term relationship - a sport bike which I can tour on (comfortable and dependable), would keep up with my rice rocket buddies but would also be relatively unique (bored of the cookie cutter asian and HD's). I had a moment of weakness and considered an Electra Glide standard but concluded that it would not fullfill any of my prerequisits (everybody has them, that's why I own the stock not the bike).

I walked into the BMW/Ducati/Aprilia dealer near me - ready to buy a sweet leftover SL1000 Falco or an equally attractive ST2 - but instead was greeted right at the door by a pacific blue metallic R1100s...Love at first sight. I did do the walk-around of the showroom and concluded that the Aprilia not exactly a fit and the ST2 looked like Sugar Honey Ice Tea when you took the bags off and left the exposed mounting frames. So me and my 10 yo son headed back to the door and stopped at the R1100s one more time. He asked me if I was going to buy it and I said yes. He said something about "what mommy will think". After some negotiation at home, my baby was delivered to my house 5 days later with 20 miles on it. This bike, without a doubt, is the most enjoyable and fullfilling motorcycle I've ever owned. I never even considered high level of customer service BMW provides and the community offered via the BMWMOA.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

My First BMW

In January of 1976, I saw a small picture of a BMW R90S in Silver Smoke in a motorcycle magazine. I like the looks of it and although I lived in a city of over 200,000, there was no BMW dealer. I started calling around and found the nearest BMW dealer was 50 miles away in a much smaller town (Hendersonville, NC). Called the dealer on the phone, chatted for a while and he sent me a brochure. It was a large, fold-out type with a side view picture of a Daytona Orange R90S. It was the most beautiful bike that I had ever seen so I immediately got back on the phone with the dealer, hammered out a price and bought the bike. Picked it up the next morning, riding back on foggy mountain roads from Hendersonville, NC.
I wished that I had never sold that bike. To me, it's still the prettiest bike that BMW ever built. I've owned 17 other BMW's since that bike and presently own three. One is a restored, 1978 R100S.

Local Harley dealers are responsible for may BMW sales

It was 1999 when I purchased a Harley. My first motorcycle in 27 years. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the local BMW shop and I realized that I made a mistake. The BMW shop was far superior to the local H-D shops in all things, especially customer service.

Four years after purchasing that Harley, I purchased my first BMW, a R1200CL. I sold the Harley. The Harley was well worn with 45,000 miles, which is high mileage compared to all the ones I have seen. BMW had everything Harley didn't. It was a far superior motorcycle than a Harley. And the BMW dealer was far superior to most Harley dealerships. I rode that BMW cruiser for two years. I also found a very clean and great K100RS which introduced me to K bikes. After two years of riding the R1200CL, I sold it and purchased a K1200GT.

If I had not had such a bad experience with Harley, I would have never looked around and found BMW. Thank you Harley-Davidson.

:type

Last edited:
Mudbug said:
It was 1999 when I purchased a Harley.
Four years after purchasing that Harley, I purchased my first BMW, a R1200CL.
After two years of riding the R1200CL, I sold it and purchased a K1200GT.

Wow! Harley to R-CL to K-GT. Now that's what I call evolution. :clap

scjack said:
In January of 1976, I saw a small picture of a BMW R90S in Silver Smoke in a motorcycle magazine. I like the looks of it and although I lived in a city of over 200,000, there was no BMW dealer. I started calling around and found the nearest BMW dealer was 50 miles away in a much smaller town (Hendersonville, NC). Called the dealer on the phone, chatted for a while and he sent me a brochure. It was a large, fold-out type with a side view picture of a Daytona Orange R90S. It was the most beautiful bike that I had ever seen so I immediately got back on the phone with the dealer, hammered out a price and bought the bike. Picked it up the next morning, riding back on foggy mountain roads from Hendersonville, NC.
I wished that I had never sold that bike. To me, it's still the prettiest bike that BMW ever built. I've owned 17 other BMW's since that bike and presently own three. One is a restored, 1978 R100S.
P1050286.JPG

Like this one for sale at Bob's??

15 Years in the Making

I bought a Honda Sabre in 1986. Shortly thereafter, a business acquaintance who rode a BMW invited me on a group ride. Soon the group seemed to adopt me and I went on three or four rides a year with them all over the Southwest.

Had to sell the bike and go to college. Fast forward 15 years.

My then fiancee had been trying to convince me to move to Bakersfield from San Diego. San Diego is a lovely but very expensive city to live in. Bakersfield is very affordable but lacking in culture and temperate climate. In a moment of brilliant lucidity she turns to me and says, "Do you want to live where you want to live, or do you want to live how you want to live?"

I stared at her, dumbfounded, and managed to croak: "I'll move to Bakersfield if I can buy a BMW." She said, "yes," and I said, "yes," and I just rolled 20,000 in my first year and have met the greatest bunch of beemer riders here in BF.

So that's my tale. :bikes

P.S. Today I'm opening a savings account to buy my second BMW. It's called "The GS Account."

scjack said:
itsbob2: Yep, that's it!
That one looks like it's in great condition.
Bob's as some beautiful vintage bikes for sale.. and the grand opening of their vintage museum is coming up soon..

I think they want 11K of that one.. with 37,000 miles

First BMW

1994, Wanted to get back into motorcycling. Didn't know what I wanted. Had owned a GS750 Suzuki, but had given it up mid '80's. My step-father said I'll loan you the '78 R80 if you pay 1/2 the insurance. Serious no brainer. It never left my garage till a couple weeks ago when I let my step-brother have it. Rode the crap out of it. Thinking it may have been a bad move, but part of the deal was I get first dibs if he decides to unload it. My brother has stepdad's R68 sitting in his garage.

I bought my 71 R75/5 in 1978 right after I graduated from college and didn't have to listen to my parents anymore :laugh when they said I couldn't buy a motorcycle. I had an older brother who had owned a Honda 350 and then a BMW and convinced me I should buy a BMW. I wanted a Suzuki GT380 or 550 - I thought those were great looking bikes and seemed to have some get up and go. I thought I'd buy a smaller bike to learn on and then move up to something bigger. My brother convinced me (being my personal banker - I had no money - he was very persuavive) and I'm very thankful I bought the BMW. I still have that /5 and it's such a nice bike. It's so simple even a clutz like me can work on it. There's something about airheads.

wow, i just about given up on this board ( couldn't re register ) and then all of a sudden i'm able to post again....what happened? well, to answer the post. in the mid 70's i decided to buy a touring bike, i looked at the gold wing, electraglide and 100/7. i picked the bmw because it was the lightest bike of the group and i could put it on the center stand. i figured this was important since i did alot of camping. of course now i know that the bike should be put on the side stand in dirt with a plate under it. i put a vetter fairing on it, wixom saddle bags and a rack factory luggage rack. i bought a belstaff waxed cotton riding suit and i was set for the start of a wonderful relationship with bmw bikes.

Divine Intervention

In 1998 I sold my 1995 Triumph Sprint because of a shoulder injury that made riding too painful (and sometimes dangerous; I couldn't lean as aggressively as is sometimes required). I injured my shoulder in the aftermath of flooding (February 3rd and 23rd, 1998) that pretty much destroyed my house.

For the next seven years, I watched the thousands of motorcycles passing through Ojai for a weekend jaunt, or taking the scenic route to Laguna Seca or Sears Point, and I really longed to ride again. This January 10th, my house was again destroyed by flooding (if we'd had the same level as 98, no water would have gotten into the house, but my preparations were useless against 27 inches of water/muck).
http://www.pbase.com/deanzat/2005_flood_jan_10

There's a lot more to the story, but suffice to say that I came through this experience feeling that life is too short and unpredictable to not pursue your passions with vigor. Around the time we moved back into our rebuilt house, I decided I was getting a motorcycle.

Now back in my riding days, I longed for an oilhead after test-riding an R850R. The suspension and smooth power amazed me. So I decided I'd look for a used R1100R. Back in the late 90s, I had been lusting for a GS, but I reckoned they were too expensive for me.

By August I'd figured out the money and was actively looking, although I still had my doubts. Then I found an 02 GS at a local dealer. I was really attracted to it, but the dealer didn't know much about it, and it made me queasy.

So I went to another dealer, the place where I test-rode the 850 so many years ago, to buy a helmet. I figured I should buy a helmet to confirm my commitment to get back into riding. Well, no sooner had they printed my receipt for the helmet, then they rolled an 01 GS onto the floor. They had just finished prepping it for sale, and I was the first person to see it.

Now some of you know that I have a fair amount of buyer's remorse for acting so impulsively, because the bike surges and vibrates and is leaking something on the right side. But even so, I love riding again, and I'm growing to trust this machine and I'm commited to tuning it right, fixing the leak, and riding riding riding riding riding. And riding. So now I'm in. DZ

I went to the 1977 Toledo and Indy rallies on a Honda with my friend on a BMW. On 7-7-77 I bought my R100/7 and joined BMWMOA primarily so I could attend rallies.

First BMW

:bikes :dance I pick up my 2004 R1200CL next week!

:hug DH and I have been married for 22 years. Up until about 2 years ago we were into ultralights and owned a couple of them. We never flew them that much and they were just costing us hanger rent and time.

Two years ago we decided to sell the ultralight and buy a couple of motorcycles. DH was riding motorcycles long before I came along, but hadn't ridden in 20 years. We bought both our bikes on e-Bay. His was a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic and mine was a 2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia. First thing we did was take the MSF course - best investment we've made in a long time. I've put more miles on my bike than he has.

A few months ago, he decided he needed something a bit more comfortable - a recliner type of bike and was looking at getting a GoldWing. However, at a conference in Germany - he was talking to someone else who rides the LT. When he got back he started looking at the LT and I started looking at the RT or the CL. We both test rode the CL and on a visit to CA, he test rode the LT. That was all it took. He picked up his LT 2 weeks ago and rode it back to TX from CA. I bought my CL today and will pick it up next week. :dance :dance :dance

So now to decide where to go on our first long ride..........

I bought my first motorcycle, a new shiny yellow Suzuki 250 (X6), in 1970 after realizing that I no longer had to ask my dad for permission. I noticed during the next year that the Kawasaki mechanic rode a BMW. So the next year I went to the BMW dealer and bought a new R50/5. It felt weird...cylinders sticking out and all. Smooth. Returned to the dealer for the 300 mile checkup on the dealers initial fillup.
I knew sometime in the first month with that R50 that I would always have a BMW.

Back