• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell us how you came to own your first BMW:

My first BMW- which was also my first motorcycle- was given to me by a friend almost five years ago. He was not mechanically inclined by nature, and had had enough of the thing. I had not seen my friend in six months and we were talking as he was about to get into his new car and drive off. I just offhand happened to ask if he still had his motorcycle.
Six months before that conversation, he had been riding around on a K100RT. Even though I had yet to be a motorcyclist, I knew what it was- I was an avid car magazine reader back in the 1980s when BMW advertised the K100 in Road & Track and/or Car & Driver.
He said he did still have it, but that he was thinking of giving it to one of those charities that take old vehicles. The gears in my head never turned faster! I knew instantly that that path would be a slow ride to the junkyard for that poor old bike. I said that if it was all the same to him, I'd be glad to take it. "Okay," he said with a shrug after only about a quarter-second of thought.
A few days later I went to see the bike. It was on a trailer, uncovered, under a tree. He told me it had been there like that for about 18 months. The poor thing looked *SO* sad! A few days after that, he delivered it to my place. I had luckily moved into an apartment with a garage only three months before this. Both stands were broken, so he leaned it against the wall and I think I spent the rest of the afternoon just admiring it. Wow, I now own a motorcycle!
But that was the easy part. My immediate task-list was to clean it up, change the fluids, and see if it would start. But the more I removed to get clean, the further I felt I had to go to do it right. I soon had the bike stripped to the frame. I spent about nine months on refurbishing the old Brick, and somewhere in there I took MSF. My prior riding experience was limited to a neighbour kid's QA50 back when I was already way too big for such a tiny little minibike. Once the K was running, I spent a lot of time in the parking lot at the apartments practising what I'd learned at MSF. The course had me on a 125cc Honda, and now I was jumping to a bike that weighed three times as much and had eight times the displacement. Luckily The Brick was quite forgiving and the lessons transferred easily. I rode that bike for less than two years before I lowsided it one day on slippery pavement. The repairs to the bodywork looked so expensive that I decided to make it a sporty nekkid bike, kind of a big hulky cafe-racer if you can imagine that. But during that work it developed some problems that proved impractical to repair and I sold it to a clubmate who mumbled something about using it for some kind of sidecar project or something.
And that was the last I ever saw of that old Brick.

My dad made a deal with me before my freshman year of college that if I made the Dean's List first semester he would buy me a motorcycle (but I think the he was thrilled that I wanted a motorcycle in the first place and was going to buy one for me anyway). He found an ad on the IBMWR marketplace for an '86 R80 in Maryland/the DC Metro Area. He called the guy up and asked about it. He sent my Uncle who lives in NOVA to go have a look at it, and he said that it was pretty rough but that it ran. Dad and mom went out to combine a visit with a bike purchase. They got it home and basically had to go through everything on it because it was in pretty rough shape from sitting outside uncovered for like 3 years. It was absolutely the best thing that could have happened though, because up to that point I really didn't know jack squat about mechanics. Dad would sit back and tell/show me what to do when we were working on it, and that's how I learned to wrench. I went clear to Quebec and Maine on that bike, but sold it when I was made an offer I couldn't pass up on my K-bike.

Motorcycles were never "not an option" for me, my sister had a 125 Honda in college, and I had ridden 3- wheelers and snowmobiles. But all I saw was Harleys out there, and was entirely turned off by the "show us your ****" costume party lifestyle. If that came with the territory, well, no thanks.
Then I met my husband, and the BMW Riders of Southern Maine. Men riding, women riding, helmets and full gear, rallies and fun. So I selected my first bike and bought it before I took the MSF course in the spring of 1994. It was a suitable R65, and I put 10k miles on it that summer before taking the license test that same September.
So I actually picked the BMW riders before the bike.

My first bike was the F650 I got last year. I got it after doing a bit of research on what would make a good beginner's bike. I liked the idea of something simple without too big an engine. The '99 didn't have ABS or fuel injection, so I figured it was simple enough for me.

After riding the F for a season, I decided it wasn't for me, and got the R100, which most definitely IS for me.

Honestly, the bikes I'd been interested up to that point were Harleys. It wasn't until I started doing the research that I discovered how expensive they were, and that they might not be the best sort of bike for the kind of riding I wanted to do (i.e., long distances). Also, I got turned off by the whole loud pipes thing.

I'm very glad that I chose a beemer, and even if I were to get a different sort of bike down the road (I do somewhat lust after Triumphs), I think that I'd want to keep touch with the Beemer community. Like iRene, I think the people are just as important as the bikes, and the thing I like about Beemer people is that they'd rather ride than sit around talking about riding.

A long time ago...in a galaxy far, far, away...

Actually, North Dakota. I started riding a little Honda streetbike when I was 13, then moved up to a 250 Yamaha Enduro, then graduated from college and got married. Moved to the big city, left my motorcycle on the farm, my dad traded it in for a 3-wheeler for farm use.

I then had nothing to do with motorcycles for 19 years.

I got the bug again, bought a used Honda Shadow. Good bike, fun to ride. Then noticed an R100RS for sale on the company want ads. I knew the wife of the seller, so I checked it out. I was familiar with Beemers from my backyard neighbor, who had ridden them for years. So, I gave him a call. "Yo, I've got a chance to buy a '77 R100RS with 50K miles." I told him how much, he said, "Buy it, you won't regret it." I was conflicted. I had spent almost the last 20 years away from motorcycling, I now had a Honda, but was very intrigued by the old R100. My wife saw it, came up to me and said, "I think you need to buy that BMW." Bear in mind that she has no love for motorcycles, but has much love for me. I picked it up 5 years ago, and haven't regretted it for a second. I picked up another airhead last fall, and sold my Honda this past spring.

I'm looking to upgrade next year. The black '77 R100RS is my "forever" bike. But that doesn't mean I can't add something newer to the stable, does it? :clap

I was a bicycle race official back in the '80s and early '90s and of course met a few motor officials who rode BMWs. After working the 1994 Casper Classic (a 7 day stage race) partly on the back of a '79 R100RT, I decided I needed to get a bike of my own.

I took the MSF class that fall and bought the K75 that fall, too. Although I visited most of the motorcycle dealerships in St. Louis, I never considered any other brand for the long run. I intended to buy a 250-400 cc other brand bike as a beginner bike and then get a K75 when I became more proficient but the dealerships I visited all told me the same thing: "Buy what you want now. You'll be bored in a month with a small bike." So, I went straight to BMW Motorrad of St. Louis and bought the K75. My husband, who does not ride, was less than thrilled ("You don't want to know what I think."). He thought I was going to buy an expensive toy and not use it, but now he complains that I'm never home on the weekends. ;)

In 83 (for the younger crowd, thatÔÇÖs 1983) my wife and I were on our way back from the races in Daytona. Cold and wet (if you have been to Bike Week you know all about this) on our Suzuki 1100ES. Trying to conserve body heat we were actually going the speed limit and were passed by another couple on a R100RT looking real cozy. I told my new bride we were going to look into getting one of those ÔÇ£thingsÔÇØ. The rest is history, lotÔÇÖs of BMWÔÇÖs later. With a new R1200RT in the garage (next to an Airhead and a Monster) I must say it was the BMW riders/campers/adventures that kept us on a BMW. :german

A decision

The time: early seventies. I was college sophmore in need of transportation....my Yamahaha 200 two-stroke had consumed itself and I had caught the motorcycle bug. I also had decided to drop out of college (not informed the parents yet) and was looking for a bike to "find America". Part Captain America, part Bronson,lotta dumb about bikes.

January '74. The Honda dealer in Durham NC needed to move some bikes. He had a sweet '74 K-750 Honda motorcycle for only $1599. Hey, I had the money to buy this baby! They also had this black '73 BMW R75/5 sitting on the side of the showroom. This black bike was not moving and they had started receiving the new /6's in neat colors and a front disc. "Hey kid...sell you this BMW for $1999".... Hmm, a new hot Honda or a year-old black Beemer for $400 more.........

After raiding some inheritance stocks and a loan from Dad, I left the dealership with the Beemer. While I was standing beside the counter as the legalities were being signed and stamped, I noticed some fliers about some "BMW Motorcycle Owners of America" organization. I figured that I could use all the luck and information that I got, so I grabbed several fliers and stuffed them in my pocket. Joined MOA in the Spring of 1974.

That was the beginning of my relationship with "Gertie". It was a tempestous relationship of a impoverished young man and his "made-on-Monday-morning" motorcycle, That bike was the first of a 7-Beemer affair that has lasted for nearly 32 years and over 200K miles. They have been good miles and I still love to ride. When I ride by the dealership (now a U-Haul dealership), I think of that lonely R75 sitting by the window. I think that was $400 well spent. :thumb

Last edited:
I was set up!

I had ridden various Euro brands for years and finally purchased a 750 Honda. Fixed it up the way I wanted to travel with it. I had a boss who wanted a bike. We were on the road together touring my regions locations. We would stop at bike shops for him to look. This went on for some time.

We stopped at a BMW dealer in IL one afternoon and there was a silver 84 R100 collecting dust in the back. I asked about it. It turned out to be a carry over and they would let it go cheep. I told them I had to sell my bike first then I would be back.

I turned to leave. My boss was pulling a check out his wallet. When all of this started he asked what it would take to buy my Honda. I gave him a high end retail type figure and told him it was not for sale. He handed me the check told me if I wanted to sell just fill in the date. The check was for the amout I had asked. He told me all the time he wanted my bike and figured if the only way to get it was to find a new one for me.

Picked up my first BMW the next day. A nice silver R100 :dance

Got smart

Started out on rice burners in 1964 as that is all I could afford. Graduated to a Milwaukee vibrator in 02 and realized I wanted to ride instead of cleaning all the chrome. Bought a 04 1150RT from Gina's in Iowa City. My better half thought it was cool so she bought a 1150R as she likes the naked look, so do I. What I liked about Ginas was that she let us ride everything they had in stock. We have put over 20M on each bike and liked them so much I bought a 1974 R750/6. The 750 has been a hoot to ride and I love the simplicity. I do all of my own maintenance and enjoy that so much that I am thinking about buying a NoMar Tire changer to complete the process.

I grew up riding dirt bikes and such. Bought an 82 Yamaha Virago 750 around 93, my first street bike, and rode it alot to NC and the Mountains 2 up with my wife and realized I needed something bigger.

My brother in law had an R65 which was my first experience riding a BMW. I went with him to pick up an R100GS Bumblebee he had bought. I rode it home as he rode his 78? Goldwing and I was hooked.

It took some time and a career change and the time came to find the new bike, by now my bro-in-law had a 95 GS so I knew what I wanted but just couldn't find the one for me. I had almost decided on a Concours when I saw an add on the IBMWR site and inquired. The guy sent me a photo ...

35253035-M.jpg

I made a bee line to Indy in Feb 03 and brought her home.

Now we have been to Montana, Colorado, NC, Ohio, Fla, LA the list goes on.

Its the start to a beautiful relationship!

I learrned to ride on a Honda SL90 (produced for exactly one year, 1969). My dad and my brothers and I all rode that thing around.

In 1978, my dad bought a slightly used R75/7, equipped with a Windjammer SS and white Krauser bags. I was 20 then and had always been fascinated by little cars, particularly little German cars. VW, BMW, Audi, even some of the Mercedes stuff was to my liking. The BMW bike had those same traits and I took a liking to it.

I rode it all over the place and even first saw my wife Tina when I was riding that thing. We dated on it, rode it all over New England doing the riding and camping thing and just generally fell in love while we were out riding. BMWs were the perfect bike for two folks to get out and ride around on.

Later, I moved out of dad's place and went bikeless for a year or so. We bought a 1982 Honda CB750F and tried doing the things we did with the BMW. Camping? Not happening. Back seat room? Not quite /7 accomodations there.

We rode to Niagara Falls and when we got back, MrsK said, "We need to buy a BMW". So we bought an R100RS, a bike I'd always lusted after.

About the same time, my brother bought an R75/6 and restored it to perfection.

Since then, I've always had a BMW in the house, as has my brother. My dad, sadly, stopped riding a while ago, but managed to take up scuba diving, wind surfing and bicycling in his 60s.

My first bike was a '74 Honda CB350 (olive green). It was too small for me in the first place - I have really long legs and my butt was pretty much on the passenger seat. After riding it for a summer after taking the MSF course I knew that I needed a bigger bike.

I had been scoping out bikes at the local superbike races, where you see a little of everything (I remember seeing my first GS there), but it was the airhead street bikes (preferably naked) that really made my heart go flippetty-floop. When I finally had the cashola to buy something, I asked a girlfriend's husband what I should buy, and he gave me a list of BMWs to look for used. When I looked them up on the internet - they were all the old airheads that I was so enamored with!

I found a 1975 R90/6 in Green Bay, WI on the IBMWR list, went up, rode it, fell in love, end of story. Or beginning of story I guess. :)

Hugh said:
Bought a 04 1150RT from Gina's in Iowa City. My better half thought it was cool so she bought a 1150R as she likes the naked look, so do I.

You're a lucky man X 2

I bought my first airhead BMW, a 1971 R50/5, in the summer of 1986. In a fit of desperation I had sold my BSA Thunderbolt a few years earlier to get rent money for the 2 room cabin I was living in at the time. I had landed a job at a concrete plant by then and had a few extra bucks in the sock drawer. I bought the bike out of a barn for $500 and rode it home. I didn't want, and couldn't afford a Harley, and certainly had no desire to own another limey bike. Some other friends in town had Beemers and I followed their advice.

Back in 1982

Driving around with a girlfriend (now long gone) through the endless commercial neighborhoods that comprise Los Angeles I spied a white BMW motorcycle with the orange "For Sale" sign hanging on it. The shop was a BMW car repair shop, and the bike belonged to one of the mechanics. At the time I had a Yamaha SR500, and I wanted a grown up motorcycle. This one was a very clean 1971 R75/5 and it had the large tank. At the time I thought it looked lumpy and graceless (I now find that design excellent) I knew that it was a superior machine. For $800 it was mine. Not soon after the entire wire bundle had to be replaced after a lengthly and foul smelling short. I later found some Buco tear drop hard bags (metal flake purple for $10 at a garage sale) After it was all sorted out it was a marvel of reliability. I know the photo is crappy and stained. It was a great bike. I saw it several months ago and it had not been loved.

Attachments

• r75-5_2.jpg
    r75-5_2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 661
In 1961, Opa (German for grandfather) sat me on his lap when I was about 7 years old and read me a German motorcycle magazine. He pointed to an ad for an R69S and said "now *there* is a motorcycle."

I grew up on dirt bikes. motocross and enduros and went to the Six Day Trials in Massachusetts in 1973. There were two factory BMWs there. I was driving between spectator points in my VW when one of those bikes passed me going well over 100 mph on full knobbies, slid through a turn and flew back into the woods spewing gravel and mud. That's when I knew I had to have a BMW.

My first was a 1976 R90/6 when I was in grad school at the University of Florida and I rode that thing all over creation, paved and unpaved. Got really good at riding that big heavy thing in the sugar sand... and never looked back.

Man, I long for an R12 HP-2... that's the closest thing to that factory Six-Day Trials bike yet. But it ain't in the cards for me (long story...). Hey, at least I now have an R69S!

Ian

I wanted one for the look. So I saved and saved and saved and purchased a Yamaha VStar 650. The deal with SWMBO was that I could only get a bike if I could pay cash for it. Since I would probably drop it a few times, only once, it was small enough and low enough I would feel safe...

Well I hated it. So after a year of that one, off to my dream of the RT, which I was allowed to finance cause I was hooked.

In November 1977, I was on my way to the Harley shop in Clarion, PA with $1200 in my pocket. Intention was to put a leftover Superglide on lay-a-way for the winter. Along the way I spied a shiney black cycle with a sale sign on it in someone's front yard. Turned around and looked at it. Neat , a BMW, had only read/heard about them, never rode one or even looked at one up close. Coincidentally, he was asking $1200 for it. Took it for a ride and fell in love with it. Figured if it didn't work out I could sell it in the spring and go buy my Harley. Never did get that Harley..... Oh, it was a 1968 R69S....Wish I still had that one....

Back