• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tarmac?

Actually........In the Northeast, with the freeze/thaw/salt and related, asphalt does better. Asphalt needs well drained properly compacted and sized aggregate to be installed on. It needs to have the mix at the plant to have the proper ingredients such as, proper asphalt fluid, the proper grading and sizing of RAP (recycled asphalt products), proper mix temperature at the delivery site and proper compaction and site specific "tack" coat.

Quality of the aggregates plays a large role. Asphalt cement adheres well to limestone aggregates, for example, but not so well to sandstone types, (high-silica aggregates in general) often found in gravels in the NE. How long asphalt concrete lasts depends on the strength of the bond between the asphalt and the aggregates, something some states are very interested in, some states not so interested, which made my job as materials engineer very difficult.

Harry

I know, at least, one highway engineer in PA that will gladly tell you how wrong you are...........:wave

Sure - but it might not be a coincidence that PA routinely wins the title "The Bad Roads State" from the American trucking association. :)

Quality of the aggregates plays a large role. Asphalt cement adheres well to limestone aggregates, for example, but not so well to sandstone types, (high-silica aggregates in general) often found in gravels in the NE. How long asphalt concrete lasts depends on the strength of the bond between the asphalt and the aggregates, something some states are very interested in, some states not so interested, which made my job as materials engineer very difficult.

Harry
Your forgot RAP Harry.......and not the music :)
OM

Sure - but it might not be a coincidence that PA routinely wins the title "The Bad Roads State" from the American trucking association. :)

Lots of the interstate traffic, east-west and north-south, with a 6-month repair window. In addition, a lot of flat land drivers don't like the minor hills and curves that a sprinkled along our highways. Also, our safety inspections, which apparently are pretty rigorous for the truckers, don't win us many fans.

But, neither the state or federal gov't is willing to raise the taxes for repairs, so it's only going to get better. And, many of you'll have to drive thru PA to get to the Hamburg Rally. Enjoy.

Kinda interesting; got me to thinking about my time working at the Memphis International Airport around 1974. Operating a 60hp concrete saw out on the runways, crossovers, taxiways,and the tarmac. Working with those gypsies who did this for a living all over the country. I was 19 and doing it as a job to get thru college.

Picture 034.jpgPicture 035.jpg
When your 19, young and and a little crazy, you'll do anything. Watched Fed Ex move into a little WPA hanger on the tarmac. They were little outfit from Little Rock, Ar.. They wanted to hire me, but that's another story. If I'd known anything about BMW motorcycles at the time, I could've drove over to Leo's BMW on Tillman St. and seen on the showroom floor the R90/6 I'm now rebuilding.

Back