• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Be careful of assumptions...

lionlady

My friend and I had had a great weekend at Mountain Moxie 2016. I got comfortable with twisty riding, again, but still can’t keep up with her little Versys' flickability. We had a great ride on Saturday, got photo captured by BlindKenny.com (May 7). We got to hang out with gobs of lady and men riders, all in this AMAZING LODGE, The Switzerland Inn, in Spruce Pines, NC. The event included terrific speakers, orgasmically delicious food, shopping, and OMFG unbelievable roads. My friend and I have ridden thousands of miles together over the years, but very little of that travel has been on winding two-lane country roads.

I crashed my Rockster on our way home, when my assumptions of what she would do, didn't match what she actually did, during a legal pass on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My crash wasn’t a case of not being comfortable riding together. It was a case of not realizing we had different expectations for a specific situation. Each of us reacted as we thought was correct for what unfolded…

We had opted to take the BRP homeward, until we hit the closure at Roanoke, or got tired of it. My friend led, because I get stressed (yes, really), and she had her Garmin, which is better for routing. I didn't even bring my GPS, because Waze works so well for me... until you are out of cell tower range, I discovered.

Anyway, we were doing great. Having fun. The weather was perfect. Not too warm, mostly cloudy, but no rain. One must also understand that passing on the BRP is a challenge because of the winding road, with generally short sightlines. There are passing zones, but not a lot, and they tend to be conservative. Nevertheless, we didn't have to follow slow traffic for very long.

Background: When my husband, Chaz, and I are on roads like this, he usually leads... he'll choose the passing point, signal, move out, and accelerate past, with me sling-shotting quickly after him. If oncoming cars should appear, he'll twist harder to make sure he allows me room to follow/complete the pass. It is understood between us that once he pulls into the oncoming lane, he’s essentially committed both of us to the pass. She and I passed like this, all morning/afternoon (or so I assumed).

Until that last fateful attempt, we hadn't encountered opposing traffic so near to us, from around the next turn... I saw the oncoming cars, and being in “habit” passing mode, I twisted harder, but she didn't accelerate as I expected. I remember suddenly being right on her rear-end: A narrow-focus snapshot of the back of her red jacket, and reacting. I honestly don't remember what I decided to do. But it seems most likely that I simply jerked my bars left to avoid hitting her, which sent me across the left lane and down the steep embankment [grasstumblepaindark]. It happened so fast, she didn’t see a thing. She was focused on the “target” car which paced her briefly, then slowed to let her around. She thought I'd dropped behind the target car. But when she finally had a chance to pull off safely, the car behind her told her I'd gone off the road. She had to turn around and go back.

I'll heal. But my bike is totalled. There weren't any hard obstacles on the embankment for me to hit. My bike ended up nearly 40 feet from the edge of the road. It was a very steep slope. My BMW gear saved my flesh from being torn up by the rough cut brush. I suffered a broken right clavicle and hairline fracture to my left fibula at the ankle. I've got some spectacular bruises, and to add insult to injury, poison ivy from the on scene triage in the grass.

Glad you are OK, sorry about the Rockster. Hard lessons each of us has faced at some point or will if not a solo only rider.

Riding with folks you do not regularly play with can definitely cause issues...BTDT.
Quit riding with neighbor who was either parked on my sidecase in the curves or running up to Helen's rear tire. He said he "trusted" his instincts...us not so much of his skills.
Some club rides have had me cringing, especially during passing opportunities where no one seems to be on same page.
H and I know each others habits and tendencies, sometimes that still has us discussing the issues that arise when in traffic.

Again, glad you can share your experience. Heal soon!

Glad you lived to tell about it. Sharing your experience may well save someone's life. Will be praying for a quick and complete recovery and for an even better bike.

Thanks for the report; sorry for your crash

Sorry for your injuries, and the loss of the bike. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

I ride with a friend who is a bit more aggressive than I when passing. He almost always is in the lead as a result. I have learned that I must hang back a bit and pass when I think it is safe.

Distance is your friend and ride your own ride are two good pieces of advice.

We have had discussions about this and he will wait for me if we get separated. I don't mind losing sight of him, but we have sometimes had to rely on cell phones to rejoin.

I think close formation riding is a skill that does require high levels of discipline from both riders.

LionLady, I'm glad you survived. Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. Sorry your stove up and hope you heal up quick.

Back