• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tarmac?

This topic as been beaten to death and I think it is time to move on to more pressing questions. For instance, why are the buttons on a woman's shirt on the opposite side of where they are on a man's shirt? :scratch

This topic as been beaten to death and I think it is time to move on to more pressing questions. For instance, why are the buttons on a woman's shirt on the opposite side of where they are on a man's shirt? :scratch

So people will know if you are wearing your wife's/ girl friend's shirt.

I thought you retirees preferred Velcro?

" So, what do you call that area around the landing gates at the airport? "

I don't know, but you did make me home sick with all the talk of Hyner View and The Curtiss.

M

It's my well informed and experienced understanding that the reason why the buttons on a man's shirt are opposite is because women tend to be right handed and it'd easier for them to button up the man's shirt.

Now you might ask why such a detail even exists.

As I stated, I am worldly and very smart. This peculiar detail of the difference in men's shirts to women's comes in very handy at times such as after playing hockey and the previous game situation where one must make a statement with one's fist whilst banging it against an obstinate piece of head protection that the opposing debater refused to remove. First aid needed to be administered and it comes in 355ml aluminum cans that are supplied until the pain has subsided. The unfortunate side effect is slurred words, the inability to walk a straight line, you giggle when you see the look on your significant others face and those teeny, weeny buttons don't need no damn doing up.

Because I am such a Hoser, I have been forced to learn to be very understanding of the needs of others. This is sometimes called maturity. Therefore, when I am in a compromised situation and my significant other has decided that since I got my hour of fun, she will too by taking me to visit with her friends and chat, and as a consequence, it's bad form to show up with your shirt unbuttoned.

So ultimately, the reason why men's shirts are buttoned opposite a woman's is as simple as letting them dress us when we happen to play a little hard so they can pretend to their friends that the man in their life isn't a Hoser!

Great question, and I don't think properly addressed by subsequent posters. One possibility was it would be easier for a man to un-button a woman's shirt when standing in front of her. (Button on the right side.) But I don't think that is it. I have a Rev'it motorcycling jacket where the zipper handle is on the left - and definitely a man-size.

Just heard a CBC "Quirks and Quarks" radio broadcast. Apparently about 90% of all people (past and present, men and women) are right-handed. Being left-handed gives you a big advantage in baseball if you can hit or pitch left-handed. Not the norm there is great. Why 90% of women button their shirts pushing the button with their non-dominant hand remains a mystery, as well as why my jacket has a left-hand zipper.

After resolve this question, let's tackle world peace.

Great question, and I don't think properly addressed by subsequent posters. One possibility was it would be easier for a man to un-button a woman's shirt when standing in front of her. (Button on the right side.) But I don't think that is it. I have a Rev'it motorcycling jacket where the zipper handle is on the left - and definitely a man-size.

Just heard a CBC "Quirks and Quarks" radio broadcast. Apparently about 90% of all people (past and present, men and women) are right-handed. Being left-handed gives you a big advantage in baseball if you can hit or pitch left-handed. Not the norm there is great. Why 90% of women button their shirts pushing the button with their non-dominant hand remains a mystery, as well as why my jacket has a left-hand zipper.

After resolve this question, let's tackle world peace.

You almost had it......

Women carry the infants in the non-dominant arm, which is the left arm for 90% of the population. As such, the gap in their shirts is towards the left to enable breast feeding.

Men, on the other hand, are not nearly so noble. Their shirt/coat opens the opposite direction so they can hide their sword or side arm.

BTW - also have a MC jacket (purchased in Germany) with the gender-confused zipper

Jeeezee, everyone really knows that calling bituminous concrete tarmac or macadam or bitumen is just a ploy to get someone interested in asphalt/tar.
The real question should be, "how come we can't get the asphalt installed on the proper sub-grade so it lasts for more than a couple of year$$".
:brad
OM

Jeeezee, everyone really knows that calling bituminous concrete tarmac or macadam or bitumen is just a ploy to get someone interested in asphalt/tar.
The real question should be, "how come we can't get the asphalt installed on the proper sub-grade so it lasts for more than a couple of year$$".
:brad
OM

If you want duration, build with concrete. It'll get bumpy, but it will last.

Asphalt is smooth, but isn't durable.

Last edited:
men's and women's buttons are on opposite sides so they can unbutton their mate's shirt while facing them without have to think opposite.

If you want duration, built with concrete. It'll get bumpy, but it will last.

Asphalt is smooth, but isn't durable.
Actually........In the Northeast, with the freeze/thaw/salt and related, asphalt does better. Asphalt needs well drained properly compacted and sized aggregate to be installed on. It needs to have the mix at the plant to have the proper ingredients such as, proper asphalt fluid, the proper grading and sizing of RAP (recycled asphalt products), proper mix temperature at the delivery site and proper compaction and site specific "tack" coat.
In Aridzona, the concrete "generally" works better. It still needs the proper base but the expansion of the concrete can be factored in.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/stat...cle_1341d126-d761-55b4-89cb-ec5827b1df42.html

OM

Actually........In the Northeast, with the freeze/thaw/salt and related, asphalt does better. Asphalt needs well drained properly compacted and sized aggregate to be installed on. It needs to have the mix at the plant to have the proper ingredients such as, proper asphalt fluid, the proper grading and sizing of RAP (recycled asphalt products), proper mix temperature at the delivery site and proper compaction and site specific "tack" coat.
In Aridzona, the concrete "generally" works better. It still needs the proper base but the expansion of the concrete can be factored in.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/stat...cle_1341d126-d761-55b4-89cb-ec5827b1df42.html

OM

I know, at least, one highway engineer in PA that will gladly tell you how wrong you are...........:wave

Judging by the results of their efforts, being a highway engineer in PA is not a ringing endorsement.

Considering the amount of traffic handled, weather and state/federal funding (or, lack there of).........it's amazing we have what we have.

BTW - As coined by Mr. Glaves, I'm that hydroelectrical mechanical engineer. I only know some highway engineers and, perhaps, a bridge inspector.

Back