• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tankbag?

Tank Bag Scratches

LMO, maybe you should consider putting a GS under your tank bag. Then you wouldn't have to worry about scratches.

I use a BIG MAK Tank Bag which will not scratch your paint as it mounts on a bracket which is hinged. This also eliminates having to remove any straps while refueling. Simply move the bag in the upward position and you will have access to the gas cap/tank.

Detailed pictures can bee seen in this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44199

Thanks very much for the insight from The_Veg, as I have never thought about this and have always put my phone in the tank bag. No more.

For those of you who put your phone in your tankbag-

Put it in a pocket of your outer riding gear.

If you and the bike go separate ways and you find yourself lying in the ditch with a few broken bones, you're going to want your phone in your pocket.

LMO, maybe you should consider putting a GS under your tank bag. Then you wouldn't have to worry about scratches.

Bag is always on bike.Its the BMW 2 piece unit.Usually I have the small bag on without the expansion section.In clear map envelope section is garage remote and any directions needed 4 short trips written in magic marker.Inside are pen and pencil,note pad,spare change,insurance card,emerg.phone #s,2 bottles of water-one frozen.
Phone and wallet are always on my person...owe yeh and no gun.But I now know who to ride with.:whistle

more contents for tank bag

-eyeglass repair kit including tiny (PITA)screws, mini screw driver, magnifying glass.

-duct tape for when the screws don't work because the threads are striped on goggle portion of the glasses. Duh. Found out the hard way.

-extra pr of sunglasses or clipons.

-small bottle of Ibuprophen, bee sting kit

... maybe you should consider putting a GS under your tank bag.

You know Tom, I'm seriously considering that for the first time. I've had my /5 since 1973. In fact it's the only motorcycle I've had since then. It's run the full gamut from full-dressed touring bike back to euro-bar sport bike (my favorite configuration).

But at a local ABC tech day I got to take a ride on an R80GS. I liked it, a lot.

Gs

LMO, a friend of mine is looking for a nice Air Head GSPD and I can't believe how much people are asking for them. One that was really nice was over $11,000. I have been riding GS's for 5 years now and really like the seating position, less weight and ground clearance.

I'm generally trusting of the public in general but I still don't put anything of real value in my tankbag. Magnetic tank bags can be had within seconds. I'm not paranoid, just sayin'.

>> PARTIAL THREAD JACK <<

I just had the /5 repainted (for the third time), and don't really want to bugger up the shiny new black paint on that Toaster tank.

Is there anything out there to protect the paint from the inevitable scratches that a/any tank bag will inflict?

It sounds as if you have a vintage Harro tank bag. If so, go to your local foam shop and buy some 1/4" thick closed cell foam. Strip off that old padding and contact cement the new CS foam in place and then sand the edges smooth using a disk sander.

You can protect your paint by obtaining some of those reusable clear plastic tank protector sheets from Aerostich. I use that stuff to protect my tank graphics and it works very well.

Last edited:
Magnetic Tank Bag

I have an R1150R and use a mag bag. First trip I used it on I got into a strong cross wind and it drifted off to the side and onto my arm. I found that by pushing it far ahead it is less susceptible to the wind, but probably not as good as it would be on a GS bike. My delema now is, can I use a GPS set into the map pocket on top of the tank bag. Would the manetic bag effect the GPS?:scratch

Snyders Paint Guard from Aerostitch will protect your paint. Clear, static cling & tough.

I have found nothing better!

{snip}...Would the manetic bag effect the GPS?:scratch

GPS signals are, essentially, radio signals so I don't think they will be affected by a magnetic field the strength required to affix a bag to a tank. Also, if you put the GPS in the map pocket, it will be far enough away from the magnets so that the signals will not pass through the magnetic fields.

As far as magnetism affecting the memory in your GPS, remember that it is flash memory and does not use magnetism to store all the 1s and 0s that make up your route/address information. Same goes for any SD or similar flash memory you add to the GPS unit.

You might be interested in the following:

"There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank. (from PCWORLD's "Busting the Biggest PC Myths" by Gregg Keizer

Pardon me...I have to go check my blood cells...

Nope! Get the Snyders Paint Guard.

You can buy that anti-skid stuff way cheaper at a foam store and if youre lazy, you can leave the Snyders stuff in place when you remove the tank bag!

I don't like the anti-skid junk because dirt can get in through the weave and scratch your paint. If you wash your tank before applying the Snyders, once it's in place, your surface is sealed from the elements till you peel it off.

Nope! Get the Snyders Paint Guard.

I don't like the anti-skid junk because dirt can get in through the weave and scratch your paint. If you wash your tank before applying the Snyders, once it's in place, your surface is sealed from the elements till you peel it off.

Yep!

Back