• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tankbag?

RAColeman

AKBob
Yea I got one, its large and for an R bike. Never have used it. This up comming trip I thin its going to be used.

What do you put in yours?

Thanks

Bob

I must admit that I use a tankbag just about all the time whether commuting or day trips.

Wallet, phone, water bottle or hydration bladder, keys, earplugs, garage door remote. Occasionally, camera, netbook, and shoes.

I only use mine for trips... all the usual stuff a girl would carry in a purse... wallet, camera, handgun, extra stuff that i might want to get my hands on easily or take with me into a restaurant etc...

Wow, all the important stuff I need for the trip.

Cameras, disc lock, spare keys, first aid materials and CPR mask, maps, swiss army knife, leatherman, tire gauge, air compressor, tire repair stuff, Advil, ear plugs, extra glasses, couple of small led flashlights. Extra batteries for phone, Spot tracker, HARD radar display and camera. Maps, cell phone, spot tracker, silk glove liners, mylar space blanket, spare face shield, pens, note pad, hair brush, wet wipes, antiseptic hand gel, small spray bottle for cleaning shield, small chamois, assortment of zip ties, velcro pads, length of nylon strap and extra clips, siphon hose, length of nylon cord, radar detector, chapstick, credit card VOM, and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

Weights about 15 lbs.

I don't much care for large tank bags. Mine is a 3.5 ltr Trip Quick Lock from Bags Connection. It can be expanded to 6.5 ltr, but I've never had to expand it. If I need more stuff within easy reach on a long trip I'll throw a pair of tank panniers on the bike.

Anyway, here's the stuff I tend to keep in my tankbag:
  • Garage door opener
  • Couple pair of spare earplugs
  • Insurance card
  • Pen style tire pressure gauge
  • Couple of pens (one blue, one red)
  • Small spiral notebook to write stuff (gas used, mileage on trips, etc...)
  • Small flashlight
  • Lip balm (Burt's Bees or Carmex, not sure which)
  • The occasional bottle of water
  • Recent receipts from gas stations.

Last edited:
There's a lot of stuff in my tank bag, all of it critical. Just last month I found a brand new Michelin key fob from the Midland Michigan rally.

Thank God it was on top.

The other pair of gloves, a hat for hot days, a watch cap for cold, a litter of water in a nalgene bottle, a compass, the other color lens for my sunglasses, binoculars, a Petzl headlamp, "business" cards for the local club, sun block, adapters to charge various things, a couple of carabiners, the P&S camera (tethered to the bag so I can use it on the go), stick style tire pressure gauge, ball point pen, a cheap cam-lock strap, small locks for my panniers, and probably other things that I forgot about.

Every time this discussion comes up I am the odd man out. I carry clothing in mine. All those other odds and ends go in the topcase except I have a small fanny pack around my tank bag for Chapstick, little flashlight, and stuff like that.

Whether camping or at a hotel the tankbag goes "in" the tent or room and is my suitcase, so to speak.

I keep the tankbag on the bike even when taking day trips because my drinking bottle hangs on the side of the tankbag and I have coffee or water in it at all times.

I've never ridden my RT without the BMW tankbag in the four years I've had it. The stuff in there is seemingly endless.

And I must say, when I first got my RT (just recently) I thought to myself, "what a funky looking tankbag" :scratch. But it only took about one fuel stop for me to change my tune......it is "SLICK CITY"! :thumb A smaller version would be nice though.

Every time this discussion comes up I am the odd man out. I carry clothing in mine. All those other odds and ends go in the topcase except I have a small fanny pack around my tank bag for Chapstick, little flashlight, and stuff like that.

Whether camping or at a hotel the tankbag goes "in" the tent or room and is my suitcase, so to speak.

I keep the tankbag on the bike even when taking day trips because my drinking bottle hangs on the side of the tankbag and I have coffee or water in it at all times.

Paul, I have my bikes set up with a Bagster tank bra, so the single tankbag moves from bike to bike. I can't do that with a top case. So all the junk I want to have with me on a ride or a tour or whatever, regardless of the bike, goes in the tankbag.

Clothes go in one saddlebag and my off bike shoes, dop kit, towel and other stuff go into the other saddlebag.

Paul, I have my bikes set up with a Bagster tank bra, so the single tankbag moves from bike to bike. I can't do that with a top case. So all the junk I want to have with me on a ride or a tour or whatever, regardless of the bike, goes in the tankbag.

Clothes go in one saddlebag and my off bike shoes, dop kit, towel and other stuff go into the other saddlebag.

As I said, I know I'm odd man out on this one. I've been doing it this way since at least 1980 and it works for me. I'm too fussy about where stuff is to cope with a jumble of stuff in a tank bag.

The only stuff that I move bike-to-bike is my tool bag, tire pump, and tire gauge unless leaving on a multi-day trip. Then a couple of other things get moved.

As I said, I know I'm odd man out on this one. I've been doing it this way since at least 1980 and it works for me. I'm too fussy about where stuff is to cope with a jumble of stuff in a tank bag.

The only stuff that I move bike-to-bike is my tool bag, tire pump, and tire gauge unless leaving on a multi-day trip. Then a couple of other things get moved.

Interesting. I've got a list more like Marc Hyman's, with a headlight, water bladder and an extra bottle, extra gloves, shield cleaning stuff, phone charger, a hat, sun block, etc. and so on. This stuff/junk is useful on any bike, most of it even on relatively short rides.

You did say that you had your hydration gear hooked to the tankbag, so there's something in common there.

There's a lot of stuff in my tank bag, all of it critical. Just last month I found a brand new Michelin key fob from the Midland Michigan rally.

Thank God it was on top.

I don't care if you are from PA, that is the funniest post I've seen in a long time.!:laugh

Tanks All

I've been reading and thinking more and more about it. I tend to go with the idea that quick access stuff and soft stuff would be good. Clothes, camera, TP, get some soft light stuff out of the hard bags.

Thanks Again

Bob

For those of you who put your phone in your tankbag-

Put it in a pocket of your outer riding gear.

If you and the bike go separate ways and you find yourself lying in the ditch with a few broken bones, you're going to want your phone in your pocket.

>> PARTIAL THREAD JACK <<

I just had the /5 repainted (for the third time), and don't really want to bugger up the shiny new black paint on that Toaster tank.

My tank bag is ancient; held in place with a bridle strap around the steering head, and another strap under the tank. The bottom has fake-wool pad on it.

Is there anything out there to protect the paint from the inevitable scratches that a/any tank bag will inflict? I saw a scoot at the grocery this week that had what looked like a translucent "shelf-paper" (for lack of a better description) material on the top of the tank? It looked like hell.... .

>> WE NOW RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS DISCUSSION <<

Back