• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank lining coming off.....

jasontdi

TDI Guru
FWIW,

I have a 98 R1100GS and the lining is coming out of the tank. Found it tonight doing a filter change. The bike has 21.8K miles and sat for the past 2 years undriven, but with fuel in it. (I just bought it) Not too cool.

Just though I'd throw this out for you guys.

What "lining"? Fuel tanks don't normally come with a lining. Sometimes a tank gets rusty and people will put a coating of Kreem or another gas-resistant goop in the tank to keep from getting rusty silt in the gas. Kreem does not have a good rep because it can come off the tank. What you may need to do is remove the tank, get all the lining out, check the tank to see if it is in a salvageable shape, and then (if it is) figure out a better way to keep the tank clean and unrusted.

I have not seen other tanks of this vintage but it's definetly painted inside. Marakesh red/white outside red inside. It's not cream or one of the other "liners" This is OEM. either way...... Rob Himmleman saw it too, he was in my shop when I was changing the fuel filter. (I'm his VW mechanic)

Did I say I REALLY like this bike! Staintune exhaust and a LOT of upgrades from the prior owners. Did the fluids tonight so it's the first time I really got to ride it. Been riding the R60/5 prior to this.

The tank lining is red, it can look like rust. I just cleaned out as much of the loose stuff as I could including the edges of the peeling spot, and now I try to keep enough fuel in to cover the bare spot (mine is around a half-full tank region).

This thread from the Airheads tech forum might be of interest to you. The last post talks about using steel shot (used in reloading shotgun shells) to get the rest of the loose lining material out of the tank so it won't clog the filter.

The "standard" method to get the loose stuff out seems to be to put a length of chain in and rattle it around for a while, but the shot seems to me like it would get into the little nooks and crannies better.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=12128

Apparently Mischlers in Beaver Dam,WI has a guy in Juneau, about 20 miles away that can fix the issue. He has something that strips it clean and a new stronger epoxy to re-line the tank. About $150 or so. No, it's not creme or any other garbage product. I'm going to look into it further and will report back.

Back