• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Was the gas tank coated from the factory?

djohnson81

I am replacing the lines in my tank of my 2000 R1150GS. There is a flaky coating on parts of the inside. Not sure if this is just build up from old fuel or if it was a factory coating or someone added it on purpose. I bought this bike a year and a half ago, not sure what has been done. The in tank lines are breaking off as I am taking them out, and there was no fuel filter and some lines were just floating around in there. Amazing it was still functioning. Thanks for the help.
0d050838581d033da955b1fda6c8869c.jpg
a811b356def5193be1345ba495d0f2e3.jpg
974202233f55d28d73257b4c3debe590.jpg
026383cc2fc70a594e1b86afed15ba33.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Yes, the tank was coated internally and by the looks of your photos yours needs a refresh. Copy the following string into whichever web search engine you prefer and you’ll get a number of links to follow for information on available coatings and the process for doing the job:

site:https://forums.bmwmoa.org gas tank lining

Best,
DeVern

I've done two tanks

I did the R 850R Scrambled tank and an 1100 GS tank, it took a while for both just to get all the old crap out and dry the tank out for a proper reline in Red Kote. I made a couple blanks or plugs to block off the cap and fuel pump opening and went to town on removing the remnants of the old liner and ensuring they were clean and degreased. Sometimes it is better to just clean the tank really good and change the filter often.

The tank factory coating is flaking off. Common on this vintage of GS/A.
Best for long life if stripped and recoated.

The floating line (top picture) goes to a tee and 2 ends drop to the bottom of each tank lobe.
Gas is evacuated to the the top of the hose and then plugged by the bolt.
Gas will siphon back and forth between the lobes effectively extending the range by emptying the left lobe.
This mod was named by some as the "syphon sucker" which was done for GS models.
The GSA tank has an external balance hose between the lobes.

Attachments

• R11xxGS syphon Mod..jpg
    R11xxGS syphon Mod..jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 153
Thanks

Thanks for the info GSAddict, I was a bit lost trying to figure out what all of the lines were, as there seemed to be more than what the parts fiche and manual showed. The previous owner had removed the charcoal canister as well. So to get the "syphon sucker" to work again, I would use suction to bring fuel up to the short top tube and plug it?

Best solvent for original liner removal?

I see in other posts various solvents to remove the liner, anyone have first hand experience?
Thanks

Thanks for the info GSAddict, I was a bit lost trying to figure out what all of the lines were, as there seemed to be more than what the parts fiche and manual showed. The previous owner had removed the charcoal canister as well. So to get the "syphon sucker" to work again, I would use suction to bring fuel up to the short top tube and plug it?

Yes, that's it.

Update

Ok, I have tried just about every chemical available to strip the inside of the tank. I have used a Scotch Brite pad to take off as much loose liner as I can get to. I tried a dremmel with a flexible extension to try and get to more of it. I have used agitation with screws and chains by themselves and in conjunction with paint strippers and acetone. I used a pressure washer and 175 psi compressed air. There are still remnants of tank liner stuck on the inside walls of the tank. I Have not used a heat gun in fear of bubbling the paint on the outside of the tank. My question is- would the liner give up it's adhesion before the paint starts to bubble?

All of the interior lining must be removed or the new lining will delaminate. If you’re having difficulty removing all the old liner and feeling like you’ve hit your limit, there are companies that can to the prep and relining for you. A Google search for “motorcycle gas tank relining service” will pull up a number of vendors to be explored. Pricing and warranties may vary, of course, so some research pays off.

Best,
DeVern

Back