• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inner rear main seal removal help needed

djohnson81

I have a 2000 R1150GS, that I bought last summer. I am in process of replacing the clutch pack that was slipping at high rpms. I am replacing the slave cylinder and gear/neutral sensor as that was failing as well. When I took it apart I found the slave cylinder well filled with oil, and the rear main seal leaking and the entire back of the engine and front of the transmission covered in oil and crud. I spent a couple of hours cleaning everything. I ordered new rear main seals as those were obviously leaking. I got the outer seal removed pretty easily, the inner seal is being very difficult. It is basically breaking apart as I try to remove it. It seems to be stuck in place, I have been trying to use picks and needle nosed pliers to get to it but all I can get are small pieces at a time. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone (GSA I have seen some of your nice drawings of seal drivers) has the dimensions for the rear seal drivers I would like those as well. I can turn some on my lathe, metric units are fine. Also if anyone has pictures of what it is supposed to look like with the seals out for comparison, so I can make sure I got it all out, I would be very appreciative.
Thanks!
Dan
f8cc74a2d10103289eaa416b263f1233.jpg
c50ce0299368f8b55b3f6b5f27e693d5.jpg
0125eab3f055426151357dc074678cf2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

After looking online in a bunch of places, I got a solution. Worked great, took less than a minute. There are several tips in the set to pull various seals and bushings, should be worth the $27
2657f25340a86b6d1dc35005e47a59e3.jpg

Be very careful putting in the 1st seal.
The sealing lip easily damaged by the vent in the Crankshaft.
Cut up an aluminum soda can as a guide.

Attachments

• Crankshaft notch.jpg
    Crankshaft notch.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 97
Just got the new seals from EME, they come pre-shaped on plastic rings, putting them in when I get the chance
e7e6af70653adc07eb541918bd00eb97.jpg

I'm a rookie here, so take my $.02 for what it's worth, but I just did a clutch in my 04 R1150R and also found the slave well filled with oil. For me it was the rear input shaft seal on the transmission. Might want to take a look at that as well.

Best of luck with the repair!

Back