• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

front cam seal replacement, replacement problem.

willyb

My front cam seal on my 76 R90/6 has been leaking for a few years so this winter I decided to replace it after viewing Brooks excellent article for replacing this seal. All went really well as the old seal came out pretty easily with out heat, but this is where I screwed up. I tapped the new seal in with an appropriate size socket thinking the seal would stop when it reached the right depth, wrong. the new seal is now about 1/4 " below being flush with the metal surround, any suggestions? the new seal went in very easily but I'm afraid I will Destroy it trying to pull it back out to the proper depth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure that a seal, any seal, survives extraction un-damaged. The only way I can envision an extraction that would not damage the new seal would be to pull the timing cover and drive the seal out from the inside. I would get another new seal and try again before I did that.

If it were my bike, I'd be tempted to run it as is and monitor for seepage.

Last edited:
Seal

I agree with James, I have yet to remove a seal without some kind of damage. Of course, I am not a patient person, rip and tear is my motto with seals. The odds may be against getting the seal out without damage but I bet someone with infinite patience and a steady hand might be able to do it.

For now, I would remove and replace, but that is based on what you write about how far off it is.

It has been a long time since I replaced this seal and I can't remember the way things go together. I think the seal on the shaft would not be a problem, what is behind the seal? Is there anything that would rub on the seal in the back/internal? IF there is nothing rubbing the seal, you could just ride and as James says monitor.

Not a lot of help, sorry, good luck. St.

Been there, done that, though mine was even deeper. You may be OK at 1/4" off flush.
Seated until it stops will result in the seal being damaged and then leaking. You can just button things up and see if 1/4" dodges the bullet or pull it and seat a new seal.
Eric

Ordered new seal

THANKS JAMES
I FIGURED I WOULD NEED A NEW SEAL, so just ordered one, I'll have to dig out the one I drove in to far and install the new one flush with the casing. Not worth going through all the work of removing the timing cover to save the one I botched. Lesson learned.

THANKS JAMES
I FIGURED I WOULD NEED A NEW SEAL, so just ordered one, I'll have to dig out the one I drove in to far and install the new one flush with the casing. Not worth going through all the work of removing the timing cover to save the one I botched. Lesson learned.

A trick I have used when I don't have the correct size actual seal driver is to use a socket. But I use a socket that is larger than the seal, and insert an extension "backwards" in the socket so the flat end of the socket is bearing against the seal. Thus, when the socket reaches the case the seal is flush.

This of course assumes there is not a shaft in the way to interfere. If so then still use a slightly oversize socket so as to not drive the seal too deep.

Along with Paul's recommendations, there are quite a few size possibilities for seal drivers in the plumbing PVC and electrical PVC fitting bins at the local big box stores. I find the first use/first edge is all you will get out of the PVC which is okay.

OM

Back