• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stuck oil filter

...reinstalled with a chunk of sandpaper, 60 grit, stuck inside the plastic wrench. Kept from slipping and allowed lots more torq to be applied.

Why would you want to do that?
More torque for installation in this situation is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, "more torque" is very likely how the OP found himself in this predicament.

All you had to do is drill 6 holes in your cast BMW oil filter socket, one at each of the injection mold locations and screwed 6 self tapping sheet metal screws into the filter through those 6 holes.

Works like a charm.

What a great idea, think I will do that right away.

I had one stick...once...even though it was torqued to spec. (my bike sits all winter and then the first oil change will be later the next season)

All you had to do is drill 6 holes in your cast BMW oil filter socket, one at each of the injection mold locations and screwed 6 self tapping sheet metal screws into the filter through those 6 holes.

Works like a charm.

I now use Dow Corning Vacuum Grease on the oil filter seal.

I just had to do this on my 1150GS tonight... it works....learned it from a BMW of Denver tech friend...

I used only 4 holes and it worked just fine... and i even put on the filter at spec also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lank
...reinstalled with a chunk of sandpaper, 60 grit, stuck inside the plastic wrench. Kept from slipping and allowed lots more torq to be applied.

More torque for installation in this situation is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, "more torque" is very likely how the OP found himself in this predicament.

Well the reason is to get it off required plenty of torq. Putting it on required very little. I can remove it whenever I want too using an inexpensive and readily available plastic wrench. So I was just passing on an idea that worked for me. Old aircraft mechanics improvise for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lank

Well the reason is to get it off required plenty of torq. Putting it on required very little. I can remove it whenever I want too using an inexpensive and readily available plastic wrench. So I was just passing on an idea that worked for me. Old aircraft mechanics improvise for a living.

okay, i can readily understand removing the filter with the sandpaper inside the wrench (good idea), but i still fail to see any logic for "reinstalling" with the sandpaper for more torque. or did i misunderstand your actions from what you wrote?

I used the sand paper trick once on a wrench that was slipping. Worked great.

I've also heard the old oil on the gasket thing. The argument was that the dirt made it easier to remove. Most sources I've seen say use new oil.

Martin, you the man

MartinPH, thanks for the technique to break loose a stuck oil filter. Today, using the BeemerBalancer oil filter wrench it would not break loose, kept slipping off the filter. Got fustrated, decided to try this forum, and bingo. The wrench has two holes, could never figure out what for. Now I know. Drilled two pilot holes, used two sheet metal type screws, and after some effort, off it came. Looking at the gasket, it was overtightened. Guilty here. New filter went on just fine, relief, no crossthreading. Thanks for the topic and solutions guys. Now I'm goin' kiss my mother-in-law. rmusfeldt

Last edited:
If you have an old gasket, test the stuff the sell for gasket clean up, might dissolve it.

You would need a way to get it in there, like a syringe, and then you would have to let it work for a bit. Last ditch effort.

Rod

When mounting a new filter I've always used half a turn after contact. That seems to work well.

That used to be my original technique. Never had problems. However, now I use a torque wrench. Is the first approach better than using a torque wrench? :dunno

While the torque wrench is probably the best approach, the use of oil on the gasket would appear to add a bit of variability. The half turn method is pretty well known, and I've seen it printed on the side of a filter.

OK, strange thing happened

I changed the oil and filter on my RT this past weekend. The filter wrench (socket) would not come off the filter. I had to use a screwdriver to pry the old filter out of the wrench.

I put the new filter on and using the same wrench I tightened the filter down.

I now have a filter with a wrench on it.:dunno

Damndest thing. BMW OEM filter and the wrench didn't have this problem last year.

I changed the oil and filter on my RT this past weekend. The filter wrench (socket) would not come off the filter. I had to use a screwdriver to pry the old filter out of the wrench.

I put the new filter on and using the same wrench I tightened the filter down.

I now have a filter with a wrench on it.:dunno

Damndest thing. BMW OEM filter and the wrench didn't have this problem last year.

global warming. the filter metal expanded at a higher rate than did the wrench's metal.

Back