• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stuck front axle on R75/5

So true. The current tube-less tires have a very stiff bead since they're designed to hold all the air in with contact on the rim. Older tube-type tires didn't have such a stiff bead since the tube inside kept the air in. Pretty difficult to find tube-type tires if at all.

On a hot day, after you have let this tire sit on a black asphalt driveway in direct sun for a couple of hours. :hungover

My F800GS has tube-type tires...or rather uses tires that can be used either with or without tubes. The Heidenau K-60 I installed on the rear, with a tube is one of the toughest tires I have ever mounted. Great, tough tire.

OM

Isn't a tube-less tire by default a tube-type? Is doesn't work the other way, though!

Isn't a tube-less tire by default a tube-type? Is doesn't work the other way, though!

Application wise, it seems like the rim is the determining factor....at least with the 56 or so tires I have on the ground now. :hungover

OM

Rim

Yeah the rim is the big definer of if a tube is needed or not. Tubes aren't needed in tube less tires unless the rim won't hold the tire on properly or won't hold air. LOL, I am NOT going to the big snowflake tube versus tubeless issue, too many posts over the years about that.

Yeah, my friend lets the difficult tires to mount sit in a warm spot for a bit to "soften" up a bit. While he won't do a lot of mechanical work on anything but airheads, he will change tires on most bikes BMW or other wise. LOL some of the tire rim combos are a royal night mare! St.

Back