• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speedo cable changeout

Bdiver

Sign Guy
The speedo stopped working the other day (99 R1100RT 70K on clock) so I pulled the cable off in a parking lot at the wheel end. I could rotate the inner workings of the cable but could not pull it out When I got home I took the cable portion off the wheel again and with some pliers I gave a slight tug and out came a foot of cable. Ok time for a new cable. I zip down to Ride West and $30 later I'm ready to do the job. (I figured spending $30 on a new cable it would be from the motherland, much to my surprise it was made in Japan, the previous was manufactured there too!)

Finally this weekend I'm able to tear the bike apart to replace the rascal and after I have it out I try turn the inner cable and can't budge it! I don't know how it got that gunked up that it wouldn't even move but it's certainly time for a new on. I'll put a dab of teflon grease on each end and put it on and should be good to go for a few more miles.

I love the smell of grease in the afternoon:)

I think that inner cable will pull right out of the sheath. If so - take some light chassis grease - ordinary greasegun stuff is fine - and wipe a light coating of grease full length on the cable and re-insert it in the sheath and then install the cable.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul,

Since I'm down to motor, chasis, and wires sticking out everywhere (hardwiring in my V1, PIAA's, Voltmeter, etc) I'll unhook the cable and see if it slips out then do as you mention.

Have a great day and ride safe :)

Back