• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skid plate and crash bar recommendations please.

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
So I'm looking to add a skid plate and crash bars to my F650GS. Any recommendations? I have the Touratech catalog and see their stuff which looks pretty good, but is rather pricey. Just wondering what other options y'all may be using.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

I have a MOD skid plate on oreder for my F800GS. Its replacing the BMW aluminum one I had on which did not do the job well enough. I cracked the sump on a rock this summer, the skid plate was dented in allowing the sump to take the hit. My second choice woudl be the AltRider skid plate. If all you need is light protection on gravel roads, then the BMW aluminum plate is fine.

I have Holan crash bars on my GS and so far they have proven to be quite effective. I've tested tham a few times and they have not bent or dflected at all and have kept the soft and vulnerable bits intact.

If you spend some time searching and reading at F800Riders or ADVrider, you'll find lots of information and opinions (possibly even more than you can digest).

I'm VERY happy with my choices of the AltRider skid plate. I'm currently using Givi engine guards.

AltRider_skid_plate_1.jpg

AltRider_skid_plate_2.jpg

My_F800GS_new.jpg

At 4mm thick, the skid plate sold by Adventure Spec is nearly as thick as AltRider's US made 4.75mm one. ;)

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-skid-plate-for-bmw-f-800-gs-/pcid/589-5

I really like the AltRider stuff. However, things like alloy, temper, wield type and quality, design, mounting, etc. are far more important than 0.75mm. That being said, AltRider appears to be very nicely constructed (e.g. TIG). I do wish the speced the alloys used though (e.g. they make "stainless steel" crashbars, but there are a lot of stainless alloys).

I really like the AltRider stuff. However, things like alloy, temper, wield type and quality, design, mounting, etc. are far more important than 0.75mm. That being said, AltRider appears to be very nicely constructed (e.g. TIG). I do wish the speced the alloys used though (e.g. they make "stainless steel" crashbars, but there are a lot of stainless alloys).

I was just kidding with bikerfish, hence the winking emotive. I don't know the alloys used in either, but, the fact is, from multiple accounts I've read, both of these skid plates have proven themselves in the field where it counts.

One "feature" I really don't like about the Adventure Spec skid plate is that, according to them, it is only compatible with their own crash bars. How convenient for them!

I was just kidding with bikerfish, hence the winking emotive. I don't know the alloys used in either, but, the fact is, from multiple accounts I've read, both of these skid plates have proven themselves in the field where it counts.

One "feature" I really don't like about the Adventure Spec skid plate is that, according to them, it is only compatible with their own crash bars. How convenient for them!

and after doing my research, i decided that the AdvSpec bars were the way to go, so getting their bash plate made good sense.

Decided to go with the AltRider stuff..

completed the order and waiting for the goodies to arrive. Thanks for all the help.

Back