• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Simple DIY License Plate Storage Box

mohuck

Intro

Hello Forum Members! :wave

I'm new to the MOA forum, but have enjoyed participating in the F800 riders forum - and appreciate the information exchange and comradery forums can enable. I Traded my 09' F800ST for a new 15' R1200RT last year and have been enjoying it ever since. I made a lot of mods to my ST and it was not long until I felt the same urges to mod my new RT. In the spirit of sharing, I thought I might post some pictures and brief descriptions of a few of the mods I've made. Some are simple 30 min jobs and others more of a weekend. I wanted to start with something simple that would allow me to get the hang of posting, as well as provide something useful for forum readers. Here is my first try......

License Plate Storage Box

I was preparing to head out on a 10 day trip out west (I live in St. Louis) and I wanted to find a way to store my tire repair kit and a few other small tools on the bike without taking up space in my top or side cases. I also wanted those items to be handy and always on the bike should I chose to ride without the cases (occasionally I do). I started looking all over the bike for places I could strap or mount some tool cases.

I finally settled on the mud guard area over the rear wheel where the license plate is mounted. (FYI - I removed the lower portion of the "adjustable" mud guard - I just did not like the look of it, especially coming from my ST where there is no guard back there at all.)

lpsbox07.jpg

I looked around online and found some commercial units on sale - but I did not like them well enough to pay $50-$75. What I finally settled on was a $20 pistol safe I found on Amazon. I ordered a few different sizes and kept the one that fit the area the best. This one uses combination, which was great since I did not want to have to worry about keeping a key somewhere. My tire repair kit fit inside perfectly. Additionally, I would be able to use the included cable to lock my helmet to the bike! This was a nice bonus as I'd been trying to figure out a simple way to lock a couple of helmets to the bike.

lpsbox01.jpg lpsbox02.jpg

Continued below...

I mounted my license plate to the box using some reflective head license plate screws. I then re-used the RT's license plate bracket hardware to mount it to the bike.

lpsbox04.JPG lpsbox05.jpglpsbox06.JPG

lpsbox10.JPG

lpsbox11.jpg

I'm happy with how it all turned out. I have some lockable storage that fits my tire kit, as well as provides means for me to lock my helmet to the bike.

Let me know what you think. I have a few other projects to share if anybody interested.

Innovative and well carried out. I'd be concerned about how well the rotory combo system will hold-up in such a high grime area. Might want to keep it covered with some black tape. The tape will also help conceal the fact that there is a storage area there; the combo kinda draws attention to the box.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

I too think that a simple piece of black electrical tape might be a good idea for both weather protection and to create a more stealth appearance.

Please let us know how you find it for rain protection after you've ridden in some heavy stuff. Here's hoping it seals well and could be used for paperwork, etc., as well.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

I too think that a simple piece of black electrical tape might be a good idea for both weather protection and to create a more stealth appearance.

Please let us know how you find it for rain protection after you've ridden in some heavy stuff. Here's hoping it seals well and could be used for paperwork, etc., as well.

I've ridden through some pretty bad downpours. Going on it's second year and no problems. I spray the mechanism liberally with silicone based gun oil and that seems to keep the tumblers operating smoothly. Appreciate your comments about the electrical tape :thumb - and that would definitely do the trick covering the rollers - but honestly I'm not that worried about it. I figure if someone wants something that badly then let them have a go.

How does it show up at night? Does the tag light still provide adequate illumination, or is it too far out from the bike to be illuminated?

I've ridden through some pretty bad downpours. Going on it's second year and no problems. I spray the mechanism liberally with silicone based gun oil and that seems to keep the tumblers operating smoothly. Appreciate your comments about the electrical tape :thumb - and that would definitely do the trick covering the rollers - but honestly I'm not that worried about it. I figure if someone wants something that badly then let them have a go.
Glad to hear it.

I agree that if someone wants something it typically isn't hard to figure out a way to get it. I'm just the type who figures "out of sight, out of mind - what they don't see they don't want".

Nice, I miss all the storage I lost from my '08 to my '15 ... any concern about the added weight on a plastic fender? It wouldn't seem like a couple of pounds should be ....

Nice, I miss all the storage I lost from my '08 to my '15 ... any concern about the added weight on a plastic fender? It wouldn't seem like a couple of pounds should be ....

Seems sturdy enough. I don't observe any sagging or otherwise loose fitting panels. Taking off the lower portion of the guard saved me a little weight as well. All in all the box and contents are relatively light.

How does it show up at night? Does the tag light still provide adequate illumination, or is it too far out from the bike to be illuminated?

Hi JG - I'll take a picture for you. It does stick out a bit beyond the downward facing LEDs of the tailight but I think still sufficient illumination. I'll post and you can give me your opinion. I've got quite a bit of added lights on the bike I could tie into if I needed to add. I put run/turn/brake lights on both my small top case as well as side cases. I'm lit up like a gold wing on the backside now! :dance

might have been asked and answered but is the box water proof?

I did something similar with a Pelican case.

Hi Paule, your pelican case is definitely the gold standard - those things are crazy durable. Good call! Although this thing is not 100% waterproof, it is pretty well shielded back there. The tire repair kit I have in there is sealed up pretty well in its own case, so im not too worried about it. If I do ever have to replace I'll consider pelican case now that I've satisfied myself with proof of concept.

Back