• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Radiator Guards Are a Good Idea

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I just installed some radiator guards and I didn’t realize how necessary they are. I’ve owned my bike (2018 R1200 GS) for about 20 months. After about six months, I went on a trip and one of the people I was with had a radiator leak most likely due to a stone. Fast forward about a year, and when I was coming back from Oregon, I hit a small bird (or was it the other way around) right by the right radiator (mostly on the side panel, but a little onto the radiator). Luckily, no leaks, but I thought I should get radiator guards.

I first tried the inexpensive ones off of eBay that others have commented about on another forum; however, the set took over a month and did not fit properly. When I ordered them, I figured it was a gamble, and I lost. I eventually purchased the BWM radiator guards, which are plastic. I had second thoughts, but others have commented that they had no issues with them. The radiator guards slipped in real easy with only having to remove the side trim panels, which had five screws and one additional one holding the plastic housing at the bottom. The guards just slid upwards into place.

On a side note, my bike has about 7,400 miles and the radiators each had a few areas with dented and bent fins due to impacts from stones or the like, and in my case a whole bunch where I it the bird. I took the time with a small pick and straighten all the fins to allow better air flow. This took me the longest time to do. The rest of the installation went very quick. I can’t imagine what the radiators would look like after putting some real mileage on the bike--7,400 miles is still very low. FYI, 99% of the mileage has been on paved roads.

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take photos during the process, so I can’t add any.

I just installed some radiator guards and I didn’t realize how necessary they are. I’ve owned my bike (2018 R1200 GS) for about 20 months. After about six months, I went on a trip and one of the people I was with had a radiator leak most likely due to a stone. Fast forward about a year, and when I was coming back from Oregon, I hit a small bird (or was it the other way around) right by the right radiator (mostly on the side panel, but a little onto the radiator). Luckily, no leaks, but I thought I should get radiator guards.

I first tried the inexpensive ones off of eBay that others have commented about on another forum; however, the set took over a month and did not fit properly. When I ordered them, I figured it was a gamble, and I lost. I eventually purchased the BWM radiator guards, which are plastic. I had second thoughts, but others have commented that they had no issues with them. The radiator guards slipped in real easy with only having to remove the side trim panels, which had five screws and one additional one holding the plastic housing at the bottom. The guards just slid upwards into place.

On a side note, my bike has about 7,400 miles and the radiators each had a few areas with dented and bent fins due to impacts from stones or the like, and in my case a whole bunch where I it the bird. I took the time with a small pick and straighten all the fins to allow better air flow. This took me the longest time to do. The rest of the installation went very quick. I can’t imagine what the radiators would look like after putting some real mileage on the bike--7,400 miles is still very low. FYI, 99% of the mileage has been on paved roads.

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take photos during the process, so I can’t add any.

Do you have a link or BMW part # ?

I put BDCW Radiator Guards on my '14 GSA and the plastic BMW Radiator Guards on my '21 GSA.

I removed the BDCW guards from the '14 when I sold it with 68K miles on it and the radiators looked good.
The only questionable incident I had was when crossing Nevada on I-80 in the heat of summer I got an alert that I was overheating when climbing a mountain pass at 80 mph, I slowed and the Alert eventually went away.

I've not had any issues with the Plastic BMW Guards on my '21. They survived a "Buzzard Strike" in Ohio in May, though there was no direct impact on them.

IMO they, the Plastic Radiator Guards, should come stock on the GS/GSA.

Back