• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sidestand cutoff switch weirdness........

B

BUBBAZANETTI

a few months back i dissassembled my bike from the crank back in order to replace worn out rear main seals. in doing so i sorta "popped open" the neutral switch (it is comprised of the switch and a cover on my bike) the cover rotates on the output shaft of the neutral switch, indicating neutral when a contact is made between the cover and the switch. anyway, i reassembled this and in doing so messed up its alignment. i now have no neutral light and have been pulling the clutch in to start the bike since. also, i used to be able to leave the bike running in neutral with the sidestand down, which is no longer the case. the other night, when leaving a parking space, i noticed that if i extended my sidestand 3/4 of the way, my neutral light would come on, but only at a specific point (about 3/4) extended. beyond this the neutral light went out and the bike wouldn't start. before this position, the neutral light is also off (including when the sidestand is retracted) but i can start the bike with the clutch in.

any thoughts?

Sounds like the two switches are connected, perhaps same relay. My guess is if you get the neutral switch set properly it will send the right signal causing the bike to start in neutral with the stand down and fix the problems.

Easy

Big Empty, Texas
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Groucho Marx

Easy said:
Sounds like the two switches are connected, perhaps same relay. My guess is if you get the neutral switch set properly it will send the right signal causing the bike to start in neutral with the stand down and fix the problems.

aye,

but there's the rub

the neutral switch is a BIG pain to get to (i'd have to remove both sub and main frames as well as the whole rear drive past the transmission) something i will not consider for a light and the ability to run the bike with the sidestand down. i hope to be able to fudge the sidestand switch somehow................

BubbaZanetti said:
... i noticed that if i extended my sidestand 3/4 of the way, my neutral light would come on, but only at a specific point (about 3/4) extended.
That part is normal, but the rest of it sounds like the switch is just messed up and the bike doesn't know that it is actually in neutral. If you have to go in there again, I'd put in a new switch.

Back