• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shipping bikes, What to pack on bike?

rtdirks

I am not sure this is the proper place to post, but here goes... My brother asked me what to pack on a bike he is shipping to Portland OR next week. He will be flying out there himself September 8. I have no idea since I have never shipped a bike. He wants to know what to pack on the bike and what to bring with him on the plane in Sept. He will be riding the bike down the coast to LA and then home to Alabama. Wish I could go!

He should first find out what the shipping company rules are. The company may have very specific restrictions on what can be shipped with the bike. He should also ask if items such as side cases and the top box can be locked while being shipped. If not, then I would not ship anything in them. Even if they can be locked it is risky since the shipping company has the keys. Also relevant is whether or not the bike will be crated, on a pallet or rolled on. A crated bike can be much less susceptible to theft. I would not ship anything I could not afford to lose.

I just shipped my bike 2 ways, don’t ask me why. For the shipper I used my bike was crated and on the way out I had all of my luggage and riding gear in the crate. To crate my machine all Ihad to do was remove the front wheel and strap it down.

On the return I strapped my soft panniers together to make 1 and checked my duffel with my tank bag packed in it to check on the plane. I took my top box and helmet as carry on. I left my riding gear in the crate to go home.

Easy peasy both ways.
IMG_0087-S.jpg

Back