• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sharing your passion

burnszilla

Now that I'm up and about I thought it was time to buy Sharon her first bike. She passed her MSF in January and we wanted her to start riding before she forgot all the skills she learned. I purchased a 2002 Buell Blast for her to learn on. Today, I rode the Blast 5 miles to the Scotts Valley High School parking lot where she could practice. After an hour of practicing riding circles, stop and goes, and braking she rode the Blast back home on her own up Glenwood Drive. I followed in the Xterra.
She said she would stop at the front of our neighborhood because she was afraid of the steep hairpin turn up our road. She ended riding all the way home and when she took off her helmet there was a grin ear to ear. She's planning a ride for us around the area tomorrow and she just can't wait. Kind of reminds me of when I first started riding.

1233778393_7136c15415.jpg

I topped up the Buell with BMW oil and it didn't seem to mind.

Aye. The Blast is a fun bike. My wife took mine away in 2005.

mary.jpg

sweet! of course, i fully expect the buell's motor to seize, as you're only supposed to put buell oil in them!

:clap :clap Hooray for Sharon!!! :clap :clap

I had a similar experience just two short years ago! I remember my first ride home from practice the park. My husband insisted I could manage it and left me there so I had no choice. Then I ventured out one side of the neighborhood and in the other. Next day, just a little further. Since then, I've clocked over 20,000 miles in 12 states and counting!

sweet! of course, i fully expect the buell's motor to seize, as you're only supposed to put buell oil in them!

No such thing as Buell oil. You use H-D oil. :brad

We'll see how my RT stands up to some H-D oil. I have a gallon of that so I see no need to buy BMW oil right away, if ever. :scratch

Isn't that fun! I helped a friend with her skills after she took the NH beginners course. She has since told some of her newbie girlfriends to ask me for help with their skills. It is funny but I'll now have a friend's wife come right up to me in front of her husband and ask for help on a skill. The last one told me her husband was too accepting and not critical enough to help her. :laugh I really do enjoy watching a bright, excited individual gain confidence and competence. It is so infectious! Sometimes I feel like I missed out on that excitement. I've been riding since I was a kid and I don't really remember that. It just seems to me like I've always been riding. I learned to walk then I learned to ride.. the natural progression. :dunno

If you love someone, put her on a bike and set her solo.
If she actually comes home to do laundry between tours, she was yours to begin with.
If not, maybe she'll send you a postcard from time to time...

If you love someone, put her on a bike and set her solo.
If she actually comes home to do laundry between tours, she was yours to begin with.
If not, maybe she'll send you a postcard from time to time...

That's funny! She just put a load in the laundry after our ride today.

Today's observations:
1. Women have an advantage when learning how to ride. They don't have a lot of testosterone pumping threw them.

2. While I'm driving slow on roads I ride all the time, I notice a lot more things I've never seen before.

3. You can drop a Buell Blast on its side and there will be virtually no damage.

4. Motorcycling is incredible. It's a lot of fun and can increase a person's confidence.

5. I'm getting a kick out of how much fun Sharon is having. Quote: "I want to ride to Alice's Restaurant now!"

Back