• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Serious Complaint About The Rally

SteveAikens

Proud Veteran
I'm back home in Clovis, NM.

I started out Monday the 12th for a calming, gentle ride to Cheyenne, where I planned to spend a couple days [following a change in scheduling to let me do that]. As luck would have it - that was not to be.

Some idiot built a road, US 160, right in my path - just north of Trinidad, CO. Now I happen to know that US 160 snakes over to Durango and US 550 - "The Million Dollar Highway". Being bored with I-25, that seemed like a reasonable route to Cheyenne. The overlook at Ouray is nothing short of awesome. However, piddling around on those unplanned twisties shoots a time schedule right in the keester. Decided the smart money rides US 50 to Pueblo, then I-25 again to the Springs where I can find a hot and a cot at Peterson AFB on the cheap.

Getting away Tuesday the 13th, I knew I didn't want to ride through Denver [and certainly had seen enough of I-25 to last a lifetime] so I decided on a motorcycle shortcut west out of the Springs on US 24 to US 285 and on to Leadville where I could go to my "home street" - Harrison Ave - and snag a New York Steak with bleu cheese for around $10 at the Golden Burro. Sadly, they were seriously packed when I got there, with a 45 minute wait to get seated, so I blew it off and moved on to Walcott and then Kremmling, through Estes Park [awesome ride if you haven't been there] then to avoid any more I-25, grabbed US 287 to Laramie for the short ride back east to Cheyenne and my hots and cot at FE Warren.

Met with "Eric The Bald" at FE Warren shortly after I ate. He hadn't eaten so I decided to accompany him back to the bowling ally - a full half block from where I was staying - to slurp some root beer and shot the breeze with him while he recharged on a burger. We enjoyed some chatter for almost two hours when I realized I was turning into a pumpkin rapidly and we split to meet the sandman, so I could hit my planned start time in the morning. Eric planned to start before me and indeed he did - according to the clerk at checkout - almost a full 15 minutes head start on me.

I burped a little gas in the bike setting my start time, and headed out to ride the Redmond 1000 - just like 108 other riding souls. This was my maiden IBA voyage since returning to riding following a 3 year medical break. I really was looking forward to a nice ride to Redmond, a fun time at the rally and a fairly "left, right, up, down" ride back home. What I hadn't planned on was the junk Z6 on the rear of my RT going from "looks fine" when I fueled and did a tire check in Ontario, ID - to wearing through two layers of cords 127 miles down the road when I topped off in Burns, OR. Trust me when I tell you that 140 or so miles from Burns to Redmond was not one of my finest rides. The Metzler Rep that was on site is "aware" of that issue. Bike was re-shod with Michelin PR2's.

Picked up "The Woman" at the airport Thursday evening and we were off rallying.!!. Had a great time, saw olds friends, met and made new friends - yes Deb - it can happen [they'll learn as time passes].

We hung out on Sunday to ride over to Crater Lake and play tourist and had a really great day.

After the rally - on Monday I took "The Woman" to her sisters in Davis, CA. Hitting Redding, CA at the mid-day sun was not too pleasant. 108 degrees means lots of hydration and several stops at rest areas where we could wet down to reach the next rest area. Slowed our arrival in Davis a bit but it was manageable. I then headed back north to Gerlach, NV on Tuesday to visit the Iron Butt Memorial and take some photos, then down to Reno for the night. Over to Panguitch, UT overnight again to take some photos of Red Rock and Bryce Canyons at Inspiration Point, back west and down to Vegas and Boulder City for the night to catch the morning light for some shots of Hoover Dam and the new span.

From there it was a straight shot home. Only had a light sprinkle or two the entire trip - until I hit NM. Heading southeast from Santa Rosa about five miles I was in the thunderstorm from hell. Very likely, the worst downpour and hail I've ever ridden in. The downside was it was hard to see, the upside was the hail was soft hail and all the other vehicle traffic was stuck on the side of the road because as heavy as the rain was, hitting a windshield wipers couldn't keep up with it and you'd be water blinded. No such problem with the faceshield, wind just blows it right away from you... Rained like that for about 20 miles, finally letting up and by the time I got to the Lake Sumner turn-off - no more rain. Stopped in Ft Sumner to change gloves and the rest of the rise in was decent once I got past the freight-train line of cars that resulted from the heavy rains. The Michelin PR2's on the RT like the wet.

Got in about 10pm. Total trip mileage was 5840 miles. Not bad for a rally ride.

Oh, the "Serious Complaint About The Rally"??? It's over and I'm home again.

I can't say enough about how well the rally was put together. Deb and Stan and all the rally staff and volunteers did an outstanding job making it all work out and smoothly at that, for almost everyone. I understand there were some comments about showers and bathrooms for the campers - that was unfortunate. However, I camp wherever I can toss my hotel key so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the problems.

For me - it was a great rally.

Thanks to all that made that happen for me.

And yes, :bikes

Last edited:
Pics?

:)

Many thanks for a great write-up, great reading for those of us who couldn't make it!

Pics?

:)

Many thanks for a great write-up, great reading for those of us who couldn't make it!
Hi Ted. Yes to pics - a lot. It's going to take some time processing them but I'll get to it most likely by next week and get them posted.

You didn't buy me even 1 beer and that's a serious complaint! :nyah
Maybe if you'd stand still long enough, you'd have a shot at that beer....:drink

As to the Z6's - Never another Metzler. Disappointing, before Pirilli bought them, they made great rubber.

Thanks Stan.

Here's another shot I was playing with that I like.

dont-look-down-1.jpg

You didn't buy me even 1 beer and that's a serious complaint! :nyah

At least you saw him. I'm beginning to think he is a figment of everyone's imagination. :nyah

Many moons ago he said he would buy me a cold one when we met in Redmond. No beer, no appearance. Hmmmmm.................

Was it something I said??????? :brow

Bud, maybe it was some of the crowd you were hanging out with. On reflection, I was in that crowd, so that couldn't have been the reason. :nyah

Bud, maybe it was some of the crowd you were hanging out with. On reflection, I was in that crowd, so that couldn't have been the reason. :nyah

Now if you want to tell the whole world that you are a "Black Sheep", that's your business, don't make me guilty by association. :nyah:) Where is that "sheep" smiley????

Back