• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sciatica- & How to Help Yourself

kantuckid

I posted some time back ,r.e., my bout with this ridiculously painful nerve issue. This about how to help yourself, not yet another "hypochondriac talk". Keeping in mind that I absolutely have never been trained in any medical field, I still want to share some thoughts about my experience that progressed from low back strain, to another strain, to an injury, to severe , debilitating pain. I am now pain free & have mostly returned to normal activities.
Motorcycles are a hobby that has your backs involvement, but in a detrimental way to good lower back health. We have the vibrations & shocks,etc. of the road plus the fact that you are sitting as you ride. Sitting is the number one enemy of your backs health. I had previous back pain over a period of many years (this is obviously very common), but nothing like the recent ordeal. I have found that being proactive in the care of my back is the ultimate solution. In my case I 1st went to a sports medicine clinic(orthopedic docs) & was recc. for PT. I chose Chiropractic (& PT) as it gave me some relief in the past . I got some abatement of pain but reached a plateau & didn't get better. After waiting 2+ months for a visit(while doing the "Back Rx" exercises as detailed in Vinjay Vad's book) to a really good neurosurgeon(had MRI in hand) I actually had become pretty much pain free. I was referred to PT again, but this time to a PT place that specialized in the "McKenzie Method". The doc said that of the many patients he has seen they all said it was the best route to relief and that he could operate , but that I would find my future activities sharply curtailed after a fusion. I gave it a try & it is excellent! For anyone that values maintaining a pain free lower back(or at least being able to maintain your backs health on your own) I recommend the 2 inexpensive books I've already mentioned. I bought one for 99cents on ebay & the other I borrowed from a son.Dr. Vad's book is based on Yoga(he is Indian & grew up with yoga) and a blend of Pilantes(google for more on that if interested) and other stretches & exercises. Robin McKenzie's methods have some of the same characteristics but are a bit simpler in the presentation. I actually have combined a few (against McKenzie's best practice!) of both.
To sum it up- the real benefit is that YOU! take charge of your backs health instead of being "treated" by someone else as in chiropractic. The regimen is simple & short & it works! To be honest, everyone should being doing some of these things everyday for the rest of their life. In my case it took a bout with sciatica pain that lasted from mid July to mid November to give me permanent encouragement.Obviously excluded from doing these are those that are too overweight or have other complicating injuries or conditions that preclude doing these exercises.(My MRI has a 2 page report-osteo-stenosis-cyst-very thin discs & more) that would cause you to think it is pretty bad but I'm really doing fine in spite of that fact-our bodies are very remarkable indeed!) They probably need a health care pro/clinician to step in. None of these provide anaerobic benefit, they about your back.The use of the McKenzie lumbar roll to support your back in certain situations is also good. These are out there on the web for sale cheaply.
Beats not doing anything for your back...:blah

In my previous life as an exercise physiologist, when clients would ask what the most important exercise was, I'd tell them stretching. Its the best thing you can do for your body.

Glad you're feeling better.

Tom

Books on maintaining lower back health

Had intermittent lower back pain now and then probably due to an old skydiving accident, which has now turned into chronic lower back pain. Excess weight doesn't help I'm sure. I have read over your entry here and somehow I'm missing the titles of the two books you refer to. Could you please list them specifically again? Thanks.

I'll have to give it a shot. I get lower back muscle spasms every so often & I understnad it is a combination of weak core & tight back. THis was great timing, as I had a flare-up this weekend.

Lower back pain and sciatica are usually two different things.

I get relief from lower back pain from a visit to the chiropractor (I have a good one).

I'm just coming off three months of sciatica where NOTHING helped, including everything suggested in the earlier thread. The only thing I haven't tried is the inversion table.

I haven't been able to ride for three months and winter starts in another day or two. It sucks.

Had intermittent lower back pain now and then probably due to an old skydiving accident, which has now turned into chronic lower back pain. Excess weight doesn't help I'm sure. I have read over your entry here and somehow I'm missing the titles of the two books you refer to. Could you please list them specifically again? Thanks.
Here ya go: "Back Rx" by Vinjay Vad-you should be able to get it for less than $10,actually maybe $4-5. He is a "back expert",M.D. & was hired by the PGA & the pro tennis people for extensive work with back issues of their players. His approach is simple & educational & includes the stuff you can do for yourself toward lifelong back health.
The other book is:"Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie(a physiotheraphyst from New Zeland)-I got mine for 99cents on ebay. There are other editions that may include more stretches/exercises & a verison that also has the neck regimen too. If you want to save $ on used books I've found that www.fetchbook.info is one of the best search engines to look.
My whole point in posting was that there are simple things you can do for your back & they worked well for me. I spent much of the day yesterday in my shop working & only a few weeks ago that wasn't possible. I passed up a long planned chance to ride my bike back to KS for my 50th reunion in late Sept because of sciatica. I allowed my MOA membership to lapse for a bit due to wondering if I'd ever ride again & no I'm not fatallistic, it was just THAT bad! It is in fact caused by a nerve pinch that originates in your lower back-a symptom of which is a pain in your buttocks,thigh,lower leg or foot on either side-any or all of the above. I pity someone with sciatica on both sides-wow!
I got some relief from chiropractic spinal decompression table(it is a computer controlled inversion table that applies gentle stretching) but really got better after starting a better approach to PT. I do in fact know a good chiropractor when I have one. The one I saw this time is a marathon runner , young,well trained and logical in his care approach. I used a chiropractor in KS that had among his patients members of the baseball hall of fame & NFL hall of fame-need I say that he knew his stuff?That's the kind of guy I compare one to now.
The info in these books is very pertinent to bike riding because,as I said it is sitting & that is said by the experts to be the single most detrimental thing you can do against your backs health! You can do this stuff at a gas stop or in a motel room or camp ground when on a ride. It makes for a very good idea for a presentation at the next national rally-hear me?:ear
My neurologist made the point to me that while my MRI can be taken as a mess, it can also be said that lots of active people have similar issues. In spite of the "all the above" that's wrong with my back, I am now active again & I assure you I was recently wondering if I'd ever resume some of my hobbies!

I'll have to give it a shot. I get lower back muscle spasms every so often & I understnad it is a combination of weak core & tight back. THis was great timing, as I had a flare-up this weekend.
Do "McKenzie #3" & you'll see what I'm talking about!!!

Lower back pain and sciatica are usually two different things.

I get relief from lower back pain from a visit to the chiropractor (I have a good one).

I'm just coming off three months of sciatica where NOTHING helped, including everything suggested in the earlier thread. The only thing I haven't tried is the inversion table.

I haven't been able to ride for three months and winter starts in another day or two. It sucks.
The table got me some mobility but zero relief from pain-the books did the pain job

I'll have to give it a shot. I get lower back muscle spasms every so often & I understand it is a combination of weak core & tight back. THis was great timing, as I had a flare-up this weekend.
The tightness is one justification(meaning as a compliment to the McKenzie approach) for the Back Rx approach as the yoga/pilantes provides the "things" you do to relax those muscles, which is essential prior to doing the exercise & stretches.
Mckenzie explains the issue(this is not about injuries and other sorts of problems so it's important to relly know what your problem might be) as one of maintaining "lordosis" which is the natural curvature of your spine and vital to avoiding pain in the lower back. A visit to a neurosurgeon(one thats a reluctant cutter!) is important in my experience to summing up what ails your back. I do McKenzie #3 several times each day just to avoid pain & keep myself in my activities. It is amazing how my back is negatively affected by a few hours of bending or sitting & what's even more astounding is what I can achieve by doing this simple exercise! If I'm smart I'll never stop doing this.

Great topic. A good reminder to all this is to watch your dog. Check the first thing the dog does when it gets up.
More interesting info on the McKenzie methods HERE Good luck to all and happy putting your socks on by yourself. Gary

I'm going to say it again: this needs to be a workshop topic @ a rally,could be Yoga,McKenzie,Back Rx or a combo done by a pro for all riders back health. The actual best time to be starting on this back health thing is BEFORE!!! you have an issue.

I've been a PT for the past 30 yrs. LBP affects 80% of Americans at some point in their lives. Why? Take a look around. Fat, out of shape sedentary citizens. Smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much and exercise too little, to not not at all. Its never too late, though, to turn it around. Try a structured Yoga class, Forrest Yoga is particularly good, Eat your vegetables first and a lot of them.

AND constant medical care for back pain prevention should be avoided. We do not all need to have our backs manipulated. Once injured a competent professional should be consulted. HE/SHE should be able to get you on the road to wellness in a minimum number of visits. If they estimate to use up all the allotted visits of your insurance company or make you pay in advance for a "discount" run like hell!

AND Lumbar fusion statistics are that 80% of "successful" lumbar fusion patients are still taking Narcotic pain relievers 2 YEARS post surgery!! That's success???

Remember MD's, DC's, PT's, etc are in the Injury "BUSINESS" they only make money when they do something, and, the more they do the more money they make.

Oh and 1 more thing, Avoid like the plaque any imaging facility, PT office, etc that is "owned" by your DOC!! That alone will save you time and money.

good luck all !!!

I'll have to say that from my lay person perspective & as a participant in lower back pain for many years-you nailed it! Well said indeed!!!

Back