• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to stay in the saddle longer than an hour...

I feel like I'm the only person on the entire Internet that is comfortable on stock or near-stock BMW seats every time I read one of these threads!

I am another!

I might not be really fired up about the stock seat, but I don't dislike it enough to spend $1,000 or more to replace it. I have no issues running a 1,000 miles day.

I run a 2018 R1200RT and added Bead Riders as I like the air flow under my butt. I also ran Bead Riders on my Harleys.

The two RT's I had were comfortable enough not to worry about the seat but the GS's have a different one. My '04 RT had the most comfortable seat of any bike followed by the '17 RT. The worst "seat" was on the K1200LT. That thing was an abomination and couldn't possibly qualify to be called a seat..

As has been mentioned, there are a variety of seats available - if that is your issue. I've had Corbins, Sargents, as well as a Rich's Seats (Seattle) custom seat made for me. They were all great. Some are easier to look at than others and some allow movement back and forth, fore and aft and I find this important. YMMV

Last edited:
I have the same bike. My suggestion is much cheaper than a new seat: stand up. The GS should have ergonomics that allow you to comfortably stand while riding. Even on a freeway I stand every 10 to 15 minutes to stretch my legs and get the blood flowing to my butt. You also become a hell of a lot more visible!

Voni has put 415,000 miles on the stock seat on one R1100RS and 172,000 miles on the stock seat on her other R1100RS.

I have the same bike. My suggestion is much cheaper than a new seat: stand up. The GS should have ergonomics that allow you to comfortably stand while riding. Even on a freeway I stand every 10 to 15 minutes to stretch my legs and get the blood flowing to my butt. You also become a hell of a lot more visible!

Some states it is illegal to stand on the foot pegs but I do it anyway. I'm good for 3 to 4 tanks or about 700 miles before I have to get off my bike to eat & use the restroom.

4 years ago I did 800 mile days back from the arctic circle. In years past, over 1K a day traveling to SD training events all over the US.

Today, at 70, I'm good for no more than 500 miles and my body tells me, time to get off this seat and find a room somewhere to soak in a jacuzzi then take a dip in their pool. That gives me recovery and enough decompress time to do it again the next day if that's what is required.

June 30, it's 500 miles to meet my brother in Moab, then short day trips until the second week. Start out with another 500 mile day to Keystone, South Dakota, but then 3 days of day rides exploring that area. 300 to Laramie when we leave Keystone, and 200 back to my brothers.

No more 7-1K miles days for this old man. But I'm still good for 500 a day as long as it's not day after day after day of those miles.

What no one talks about is strengthening your posterior chain. Squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, etc. Keeping this area in shape is crucial to motorcycling longevity.

I don't know if your bike has it, but my '15 RT has a seat height adjuster underneath the seat. Switching that from low (which is how it came) to high was a game changer for me. It raised me up slightly, but it meant that the seat was flat instead of angled slightly down, which always had me sliding forward. Between that and a Beadrider (https://beadrider.com/) I've done multiple IBA rides with the stock seat.

I also bicycle/weight train to keep myself in shape to ride. And I'm 59 for reference.

This is also very helpful, and something I use.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/316-master-yodas-riding-position/

What no one talks about is strengthening your posterior chain. Squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, etc. Keeping this area in shape is crucial to motorcycling longevity.

Very true, but don't forget stretching. That's also just as important as strengthening, IMO.

Has anyone tried an inflatable motorcycle seat cushion? I see them on Amazon for around $50 and wonder if they would help.

Has anyone tried an inflatable motorcycle seat cushion? I see them on Amazon for around $50 and wonder if they would help.
Sure.....I have had a couple of Air Hawk inflatables. No doubt a help but not a cure- for me. I have tried a motorcycle specific gel/foam pad as well, results similar to the Air Hawk. In my case, I don't think there is a real cure. That said, if I could do a "ride in" for measurement and fitting, I would try a RDL.
OM

That's what I did with Rich's Seats. "Test sat" a couple of times. Made the seat while I waited. Amazing service and superb quality.

Yup, I've had Rich build a couple of seats for me over the years and his fitting and attention to detail is superb. I've also had RDL seats, which were great for me as the rider but never all that good for my pillion wife. Rich not only measured me to set up the riders seat, but also measured my wife to set up the pillion seat.

I use an Alaskan sheepskin on both beemers presently. Used it on the GS on the 8K mile run to the arctic and back in 18.

Keeps my butt from frying when the bikes been sitting in this Az. desert heat, and warmer in the colder temps. The side benefit is I can ride further each day without discomfort than without it.

Back