• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Riders Rally: The Trip

Meat Cove Photos - worth waiting for!
smiley-photographer.gif

Meat Cove Photos - worth waiting for!
smiley-photographer.gif

have a few Paul. and, as an extra pictorial bonus, two door prizes are presented that evening, at the edge of the cliff, in the moonlight, and in the glow of a campfire on a clear night. A bit of a departure from our 'light show' of '07 eh? ooooo ah ah ah!

May not get the pics on until tomorrow :cry but we'll see. May borrow a couple of good ones from '07 for demo purposes. Stay tuned!

Jeeeeze, I was there, took plenty of the pictures in this thread, and I can't stand the suspense. Great report, Bob!

Thanks Tom. I am going back to finish my credits but dang you took so many great shots! Thank you for that skill and great equipment.

:clap:clap:clap More! More!

This is a really enjoyable journey. Thanks for putting it together. Sure does make me want to return to NS.

Thanks Dan. Folks returning or coming to visit Nova Scotia for the first time is the major point. Our little gig is a very inexpensive, safe, reliable and, we hope, informative way for those from 'away' to get a little closer to our way of life and that of those who came before us. So, please do return. Next year... more options! -Bob

Thanks Tom. I am going back to finish my credits but dang you took so many great shots! Thank you for that skill and great equipment.

Merci. I love my Sony camera.

I have some ride video from the Canon that I haven't even reviewed yet. I'll see what I can do about putting together a short clip.

:type WELCOME TO THE MOST NORTHERLY SETTLEMENT IN NOVA SCOTIA

DSC_1432.jpg

photo: empeg9000 (2007 File Photo)

:lurk

Through the timeless zone...

SaltyFog484.jpg
(fake)

after navigating a freshly graded dirt road for eight miles :eek it all clears and there's the campsite over/down there!

DSC_1438.jpg

photo: empeg9000 (2007 File Photo)

We roll into our roped off area and, of course.... food

August26download823-1.jpg

August26download824-1.jpg

Our site

August26download828-1.jpg

SaltyFog485.jpg
photo: Mary Delorey-Weber

SaltyFog486.jpg

SaltyFog487.jpg

Funny Moment: This was the moment that Mike (from Ontario) was almost homeless for the night. As we were setting up on the cliff's edge, a few gusts of wind swirled about. Some gusts came from the sea while others just seemed to come from the surrounding hills. One gust from the hills got under Mike's unpinned tent and lifted it toward the cliff. It was about three feet in the air before he finally pulled that kite to earth. It was a hilarious moment.... once the suprise of it all settled. He was roughly six feet from the 300 foot cliff's edge.

and, proving that size really doesn't matter, Chas quickly pins his tent. (A wonderful story behind this)

SaltyFog121.jpg

the sun sets on a day's ride and the Edge of the Earth Gathering assembles

651891572_7mrEp-X3.jpg
photo: Paul F. Ruffell

Next: Into the Evening.... anyone got a match?

Last edited:
Merci. I love my Sony camera.

I have some ride video from the Canon that I haven't even reviewed yet. I'll see what I can do about putting together a short clip.

It would be great to get a clip or more in. Using Utube material is about as close to that as I can get thus far. Hopefully we can put your video in. -Bob

Last edited:
It would be great to get a clip or more in. Using Utube material is about as close to that as I can get thus far. Hopefully we can put your video in. -Bob

Let me see if I can put a ride video together this weekend. I'll upload it to YouTube and send you the link.

Down With The Sun;Up With The Moon

Ok, so who's gonna build the fire?

SaltyFog122.jpg

Tom and Mike light the torch

SaltyFog127.jpg

A glowing fire on a clear night helps us all relive parts of the trip thus far.

SaltyFog128.jpg

SaltyFog133.jpg

SaltyFog147.jpg

The perfect fireplace accessories

SaltyFog138.jpg

As mentioned earlier, two door prizes were drawn for in Meat Cove. First prize was an oil painting that Mary did recently of the Peggy's Cove lighthouse, which is just outside Halifax. The second prize was an Alexander Keith's (our most famous Nova Scotia beer) special Big Birthday Bash t-shirt.

Second prize went to Tom from Mass. (who supplied many of the pictures in this report). I thought that I had a picture but I don't :cry

First prize of the painting, suitable for motorcycle packing, went to Charlie from Indiana. This is a picture of Charlie, painting and the artist - Mary

SaltyFog139.jpg

As the conversations and the fire fade, we saunter off to our cliff side dwellings in preparation of the journey's final leg tomorrow.:snore

SaltyFog144.jpg

First

Last edited:
Friday, Day 4

:type Well, here we are... the final day. Next time;more time. Today's leg takes us from Meat Cove and down the west side of the Trail. Some excellent road here and places that beg you to roll on a bit quicker. We will stop in Mabou for a bit of a gathering at the Red Shoe Pub. From there it's on to the Causeway and the Irving Big Stop for individual departures. The end of the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2009.

Dayfour.jpg

Bob and Mary,

The Salty Fog Rally was really a blast! Great comradery, breath-taking mountain and ocean views, fine food, excellent entertainment, twisting roads and of course, the most perfect weather. My only regret was that it ended too soon. You're going to have to show us some more interesting stops in your most stunningly, beautiful province. Really looking forward to a return visit.

Thank you,

Paul

P.S. - Tom, outstanding photographs!

Good Morn'n' Y'all !!

DSC00739.jpg
photo: Tom McGee

SaltyFog150.jpg

SaltyFog153.jpg

SaltyFog152.jpg

651892127_RntAf-X3.jpg

SaltyFog155.jpg

Out we go and meet at the CoOp Store at the turn off to Meat Cove. Everyone navigated the newly graded road at their own pace and this was our regroup and photo op.

SaltyFog157.jpg

SaltyFog158.jpg

651895314_jUbVD-X3.jpg

Next stop: Cheticamp for fuel and..... and.... :eat

What? No stop at the single malt shop?

Six in the group wanted to catch the ferry to PEI and there was a time constraint, so there was a change in plans. I'm still waiting to hear about that part of the trip. I just figured they weren't back yet. :D

sheridesabeemer 'has the touch'!

Tom McGee sent me this compliments of sheridesabeemer. She was able to create a picture with me and Mary in for a full group picture (note that a couple of folks from the initial group had to leave for family commitments) Anyway thank you very much for this virtual picture. Much appreciated!!:bow

3993716815_e64968b81e_o.jpg

will finish report a bit later today

Last edited:
:type and a bit down the road, some individual options take shape. All participants were excellent riders with some eager to get out around that one wheel trailer... and they did, as we head to Cheticamp for both human and machine fuel

SaltyFog162.jpg

SaltyFog166.jpg

and then we meet up with a bus tour at one of the pull offs. That was a bit of fun.

SaltyFog167.jpg

SaltyFog168.jpg

SaltyFog170.jpg

SaltyFog175.jpg

SaltyFog176.jpg

SaltyFog177.jpg

and, of course, the 'hub cap thing'. It was interesting sharing our adventure with the bus folks.

SaltyFog179.jpg

Now, on to Cheticamp...

SaltyFog182.jpg

:type so we twist and turn our way down to one of the oldest Acadian communities in Nova Scotia. Because of periods of isolation, this community has one of the richest examples of Acadian French. A beautiful spot that immediately makes you want to come back and spend more time.

some smiles as we head out

MIKE

651897798_b8Ved-X3.jpg

BUDDY

651897964_AVqm3-X3.jpg

TOM (an avid contributor to this report)

651898187_xN5Dn-X3.jpg

and Ron

651898715_Lefru-X3.jpg

THANKS FOR THOSE FOUR PICS PAUL !

Now, I won't say who took this one but I suspect that most remember the view...:p

DSC00730.jpg

651899949_6qTpY-X3.jpg

onward...

651898928_cFLTb-X3.jpg

After fueling up at the PetroCan in Cheticamp, we headed for...... you must know the chorus by now!!...... :eat Time for that coffee, etc

SaltyFog184.jpg

Next stop: Mabou, home of those wonderful musical siblings The Rankin Family.

Last edited:
Back