• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sad End For A Buck

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Was out in the backyard this morning with our two new pups. Finn and Elliott

AE00-AE0-D-A91-C-43-B1-9-F09-F46-BBD3-D98-A0.jpg

I heard barking from our neighbor’s property. It was constant and I knew something was up. Our neighbors have seven dogs and I was concerned one was in trouble down in the creek that flows through our properties. I called my neighbor and she said she heard the barking as well and was headed down to check it out. She called a short while later and asked for help because there was a buck caught in a barb wire fence. I went down with bolt cutters and found this;

4-D7-B7-B03-CB35-426-F-A6-CE-446-B759-AA5-B1.jpg

His left front leg was broken at the knee and he needed to be put down. I did not have a weapon with me and was about to head back to my house to get one when my son-in-law arrived at our place. He had a handgun with him and came down. While waiting I called a local game warden and he agreed we should kill the buck and he would come by later to give me a salvage harvest tag. SIL shot the buck and I helped him gut the it and load it on a trailer for our neighbor. Her husband was due home today and they process their own meat. We don’t care for the local deer meat. They feed on sage and it gives it a flavor we don’t care for. It makes a decent sausage and I hope we get some from the neighbors.

Unfortunate that it suffered before you were able to dispatch it, but it is one less to run in front of motorcycles now. Hopefully you get some nice sausages for you efforts.

Unfortunate for the deer but more dignified and safer than having the wolves and coyotes come for cleanup. :thumb
OM

Have had same situation a few times. The dogs have a distinct bark when treeing something or the discovery of an unfortunate deer. H found it once but didn’t want to know the results.

Many years ago, a doe got hit by a car and wound up with just her front half still attached.

Her bleating got most of my neighbours and myself looking for this horrific and utterly brain melting cry.

Pretty quickly we saw the reason.

Called Natural Resources, they will get to her when they can in a day or two.

This is Canada so no firearms allowed to be used.

I got an axe. Split her skull in one swing and she crossed the rainbow bridge.

I didn't say a word as I watched my neighbours crying and calling me evil.

What did they expect - not just you, but Anybody - to do??? Take it to the vet?

I am no longer surprised by idiocy and/or ignorance.
Disappointed, always.
Amused, occasionally.
Angered, sometimes.
But surprised... no.

As a young man working an aircraft tech job at Westfield Airport in Massachusetts, we had an occurrence on the runway where a Lear 35 landed and there was a buck standing on the runway. Half the deer got wrapped around the landing gear and the other half took out a flap and turned the belly a crimson red. The deer got hypnotized by the landing lights (it was dark) and just stood there. Later after the aircraft was in the hanger, someone made up a sticker to put under the windshield; a deer head with a slash and circle like they do these days. Landing gear and flap had to be replaced. Mucho bucks $$$$

Later after the aircraft was in the hanger, someone made up a sticker to put under the windshield; a deer head with a slash and circle like they do these days.

Had this sticker made up for my F800GS which I bought after hitting a deer and totaling my F650GS. It worked, never hit a deer with the new bike.

IMGP0568.JPG

Back