• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT owners with GPS units

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
RT owners with GPS units. I'm curious how and where you installed a GPS unit. I have a Zumo XT I use on my 2018 GS and would also like to use it on my 1988 RT. Wiring it up is less of an issue than the mounting location and hardware. Thanks in advance.

I've only used it once because the bike is still in the shop.
I put the Zumo in the tank bag map pocket, and run the power from the charge port.
Not the easiest to view, but with the wireless connection to the helmet, it worked well.
Also fast to take off and bring with you.

I've only used it once because the bike is still in the shop.
I put the Zumo in the tank bag map pocket, and run the power from the charge port.
Not the easiest to view, but with the wireless connection to the helmet, it worked well.
Also fast to take off and bring with you.

The Zumo XT has been the best navigation tool for me. I just like how easy it is to use, the move AWAY from Basecamp and ability to create routes on any other navi tool and easily import them wirelessly. I have adapted it for use on ALL my bikes. For the RT, i just bought a 1/2 inch piece of aluminum bar-stock and had my buddy mill the edges and drill holes for mounting the ends to the handlebars with wiring harness clamps. I then bolted a Touratech lockable holder to the bar stock. Works like a charm and it’s perfectly positioned where i can see it and the dash. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20230422_200622_Original.jpg
    20230422_200622_Original.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 162
RAM Mount with the RAM ball that replaces one of the handlebar mounting screws. RAM arm from the ball to the GPS cradle. Someone will probably post a photo of the ball mount.

My apologies. The response I gave is for my Oilhead RT with separate handlebar parts for each side.

My Airheads both use the RAM ball U mount on the Airhead round handlebar.

i'm a little late in posting my solution. Since I wasn't sure how much I will use the GPS on the bike, I wanted a minimal expense solution at first. Since I used the 3DAM adaptor for my 2018 R1200 GS, I had most of the mounting hardware and wiring that came with the Zumo XT. However, I did have to purchase the mount bracket (±$20). I liked the location between the handlebars that Franz chose, but I wasn't prepared to purchase Touratech's mounting bracket, nor making a bar to go between the handlebars at this point in time. The mounting hardware that came with the Zumo XT seems to be a good option to see how much I use it and like it there. I chose a photo without the Zumo XT, so you can see the mounting hardware and how I installed it.

Attachments

• GPS Mount.jpg
    GPS Mount.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 98
I had a RAM mount ball mounted on the left handlebar and mounted a Zumo 550 near the left controls. I zoomed in on an old photo that shows the location. Ignore the duct tape holding the windshield together.

Attachments

• IMG_1170crop.jpg
    IMG_1170crop.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 88
Back