• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace helmet every 2-4 years?!?

Relative to the old ones, maybe, but they're still light years away from being quiet enough that you don't have to wear ear plugs. And until riders have worn well fitted ear plugs, they don't know how quiet and enjoyable a ride can be.

Indeed. Earplugs are a requirement for me.

I just bought my first full face helmet

I just picked up my first full face, a Schuberth C2 at Louis in Stuttgart :german at a discounted price. I can't wait to get back home and try it out. I have been riding since 1984 with half helmets! :dunno

Recommendations

All these are just recommendations based on averages of averages. Amount of riding, habits, weather etc. all play factors. Wear it as long as you feel comfortable with it and it works, the difference in safety would be so small it is not worth continuely contributing to the helmet/retail motorcycle industry. Like, your suppose to bring your BMW in for a full service every 6,000 miles for $400 to $600, yea right.

gpodzo

In the MSF class I took back in May, the teacher used this example as to why you should replace your helmet every 4-5 years. Go to Walmart, Kmart, or wherever, buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and set it in your garage for a year or two. After that, buy another cooler similar and set them side by side. Now feel the difference. See how easy it is to break the two-year old cooler vs the new one. And that is after just two years.

Surely you all have seem an old styrofoam cooler that is very old. It just crumbles. Do you want that protecting your head? As others have stated, not only does the styrofoam breakdown over time, but the overall safety of helmets increase as new designs and engineering takes place.

So throw those old helmets away. If not, certainly do not think you you are protecting your head. The plastic of the helmet is there only to protect the styrofoam from the elements, and provide some structure to attach the shield. And of course, provide a little marketing magic as well.

Another good reason, besides the foam degrading, is the new helmet has more advanced
design features, materials and engineering than an old one. Just compare a Systems I
helmet to the slew of flip ups available today.

Another good reason, besides the foam degrading, is the new helmet has more advanced
design features, materials and engineering than an old one. Just compare a Systems I
helmet to the slew of flip ups available today.

For me, they just don't fit right after 4 years. They get loose and noisy, so I replace them.

What we need is some sort of innovative, exciting, artistic, humorous, sustainable, sensitive, inexpensive, safe and non-fattening thing to do with old helmets. Out there somewhere is a person with the solution to our problem. You know the type; the guy or gal that always comes up with the counter-intuitive, yet effective solution to the problem. More likely and artist than and engineer. It is difficult to trash a helmet that you've come to love. Perhaps helmet totem poles?:dunno

For me, they just don't fit right after 4 years. They get loose and noisy, so I replace them.

:nod

A helmet lasts me about 50,000 miles or about 50 months. Unless I do something stupid like put it on my mirror stalk where it can get lifted off by the winds at Ubehebe crater then dashed to the ground where it can bounce several times. :banghead

An interesting helmet discussion. Here's a dissent on a couple items.

Not a fan of internal sun visor a least as implemented by Nolan. It has a large notch out in the middle that makes it worthless because dealing with glare requires lowering it too far to offset that stupid notch. The gradient shields on a Shoei are better IMO.

I've got a pair of Shoei RF1000s and they are very quiet while looking over the top of the shield on my RT. Much better than the Nolan for reasons of aerodynamics and fit IMO. No earplugs required (I have run OSHA style hearing protection programs so know what levels need protection) and it is easy to converse using a couple Bluetooth devices or make a phone call. Call listeners are unable to tell I'm on the bike.

The Nolan ratchet closure for their strap is useful and worthy of emulation by others.

My current inventory is 7 helmets of 4 brands for use in various track cars and on my bike. I have the ability to regularly compare them against new models and am not a 5 yr fanatic but do dump them when any deterioration is apparent. Amount of use and storage conditions are key. Heavy use in hot weather has killed some in 3 years and others are OK at around 6-7. Not inclined to try for 10 - too many destructive components from internal combustion in modern suburban atmosphere, especially in a garage or home heated with older oil furnances. The cheapest one (HJC) is nowhere near a match for the more expensive ones in construction quality and features.

Haven't sprung for an Arai yet, however. And the very lightly used Nolan 103 could be sold to an interested party (W, L, with bluetooth stuff built in).

I've had my helmet for 5 years now. It's my first street helmet, so my dumb___ probably abused it a bit too much back in the day.

I don't know when I'll have the funds, but I know my next one's going to be a white Arai XD, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I want a visor (but with a shield, not goggles), and I want a white one. I wish it was a little cheaper.

Or you head could be getting littler. And littler. I hear it can happen!

[hijack]

BTW: I had a doctor visit a week or two ago. On the pre-appointment ailment questionaire, it said: "Mark all of the following that you've experienced in the past 6 months: [ ] nausea, [ ] diarrhea, .......blahblahblah........ [ ] increased hat or glove size."

Increased hat or glove size!

Doctor, I've got a problem... :eek

[/hijack]

IMO, five years is about the "safe useage"period for most, if not all helmets.

The crash protection aspects of the foam does degrade over time, whether we think so or not. Think about this.... If the the manufacturers could sell "The last helmet that you'll ever need." don't you think that they'd do so?

Technology marches on. Thats wht even though I have the best heln=met that Shoei builds, I'm considering buying the latest RF-1100.

Whats you brain worth? :scratch The descision is yours!

Whats you brain worth? :scratch The decision is yours!

We talking what my brain's worth to me or to the scientific community? I think the values different depending on from who's perspective. Just don't ask any of my old girlfriends. I don't want to hear what they think it's worth.

To me....it's worth the cost of a new helmet about every five years. Unfortunately, I haven't found a new one yet, and my helmet's five years.

None of my helmets (4) are 5 years old. I wanted a helmet the had a retractable sunshield and bought a White HJC IS-MAX Sat at the Helmet Shop in Daytona. I tend to wear different helmets depending on the weather hot/cold/rain/sunshine. I figure the sunshield will get plenty of use next year traveling to the Rally at Redmond, OR. I favor a 3/4 helmet in hot/humid weather around town and use a modular helmet when traveling. Cedar chips in a mesh bag and Fabreeze are used to deal with helmet odor and Woolite to wash the linings that are removable. Wearing a helmet when on a MC makes sense to me as does the practice of replacing it every 5 years. Think of it as a new farkle for your head.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back