• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace helmet every 2-4 years?!?

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
So Consumer Reports reviewed a couple of scooters as well as the Ninja 250. Within their reviews were a couple of sidebars on rider training and gear.

Most of the advice was pretty good, except for when I read that riders should replace their helmets every two to four years because the materials degrade and the helmet becomes unsafe simply by aging.

WTF? This is the first I've ever heard of this. I visit this site quite regularly, I read most of the m/c magazines each month (MotorCyclist, Cycle World, Rider, ON, etc.) and I've never seen it mentioned that helmets have an "expiration date". I would think that if this were the case, the helmet manufacturers would keep bombarding us with reminders to periodically replace our helmets when they reached their "pull date".

I know we need to replace our lids if we drop them or crash them, but I've never heard of replacing them just for the sake of replacing them.

I just bought a Shoei. The accompanying info says, for the same reasons, you should change every 5 years. This is also what the local BMW shop personnel say is standard advice. I believe it, plastic and foam do degrade with time and exposure to sun and sweat.

John

Replacement every five years seem much more rational than using the low end of the CR recommendation to do it every two years.

$500 for a new lid every two years seems a bit excessive!

Replacement every five years seem much more rational than using the low end of the CR recommendation to do it every two years.

$500 for a new lid every two years seems a bit excessive!

And yet, CR's evaluation and opinion regarding global warming is spot on perfect. I guess it's just motorcycle helmets they don't know much about. :D

BTW - replacing your helmet every five years seems consistent with helmet manufacturers' recommendations.

And yet, CR's evaluation and opinion regarding global warming is spot on perfect. I guess it's just motorcycle helmets they don't know much about. :D

BTW - replacing your helmet every five years seems consistent with helmet manufacturers' recommendations.

Judging on the review of scooters and the Ninja 250 in the latest issue of CR, it's quite apparent that CR doesn't know squat about vehicles with two wheels.

We get beat up by AlGore and the like everywhere all the time to reduce our consumption of plastic and styrofoam type products BECAUSE THEY NEVER DEGRADE!

But a plastic and foam helmet will be degraded by sitting on your head or out in the sunlight?

I replace my helmet when it's dropped, crashed, or too filthy to put on my head.

Another good reason to get a new lid after 4-5 years is that technology marches on,
and the newer model will probably be safer because of improved materials and design.

I've always heard that you should replace a Helmet every five years. I've never kept one that long. I have a different Helmet for each of my bikes, otherwise it depends on which bike I'm riding as to which Helmet I wear. It just doesn't make sense to me to wear a Helmet that doesn't match the bike. LOL :)

Remember what helmet manufacturers sell. :brow

That said, I'd say every 5 or 6 years, unless the helmet ends up taking a hard hit. After a hard hit, it should be replaced no matter how old it is. I suspect if you take good care of your helmet by cleaning and storing it properly that the internals would last longer, i.e. they wouldn't "break down".

I replaced my Nolan N100 in its sixth year, but it was after doing a little circus act on the way home from work one day which resulted in a fairly hard knock to the back of it. It may still be just fine. It's got some scratches on the back of it, but that's about it. Oh, and it smells kind of funky. But, I'll not wear it again for any distance, that's for sure.

We get beat up by AlGore and the like everywhere all the time to reduce our consumption of plastic and styrofoam type products BECAUSE THEY NEVER DEGRADE!

You are mixing two different meanings of the word degrade. Does the styrofoam like material used to protect your head degrade into its component elements -- nope. At least not in a reasonable time frame. It does, however, degrade by turning brittle such that it will not protect your head in case of accident. That happens in a relatively short time.

2 Weeks ago I threw away a Shoei helmet that had been forgotten in a box sitting upon a shelf since 1988. The helmet was made in 1983. It had very light use by my daughter when she'd join me on trips. It looked to be in perfect condition until you pressed on the foam that was supposed to protect your head... it crumbled with minimal pressure.

Arai says their helmets are good for 5 years of use, 7 years from date of manufacture. Assuming I don't drop or otherwise damage my helmets I change them about every 50,000 miles which is probably about 1500 - 2000 hours of use spread over 4 years or so.

Even when replaced with exactly the same helmet there is a noticeable difference in fit around my head. The old helmet is always much looser than the new, indicating to me that the foam has compressed some.

// marc

Even when replaced with exactly the same helmet there is a noticeable difference in fit around my head. The old helmet is always much looser than the new, indicating to me that the foam has compressed some.

I'm willing to bet it's the "comfort" foam that's compressing and not the "protective" foam that should be virtually uncompressible except in a crash situation. Just like a pillow will lose it's "loft" over time, so will the low density foam used to provide the user with cushioning and comfort. The high density foam designed to absorb the impact might indeed chemically degrade over time, but it will not decrease in volume unless compressed using a massive force - i.e. a crash.

You are mixing two different meanings of the word degrade. Does the styrofoam like material used to protect your head degrade into its component elements -- nope. At least not in a reasonable time frame. It does, however, degrade by turning brittle such that it will not protect your head in case of accident. That happens in a relatively short time.

2 Weeks ago I threw away a Shoei helmet that had been forgotten in a box sitting upon a shelf since 1988. The helmet was made in 1983. It had very light use by my daughter when she'd join me on trips. It looked to be in perfect condition until you pressed on the foam that was supposed to protect your head... it crumbled with minimal pressure.

Arai says their helmets are good for 5 years of use, 7 years from date of manufacture. Assuming I don't drop or otherwise damage my helmets I change them about every 50,000 miles which is probably about 1500 - 2000 hours of use spread over 4 years or so.

// marc

I've owned a few helmets for years - some without much use. As noted above - the comfort foam crumbled, not the protective foam. Such foam does not dissolve into the air - or one's head.

Not saying that helmets do not degrade over time - they might. But the earth worshipers say otherwise.

As the old Bell ad said "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".

I replace mine on a regular basis as I value my head. A $500 helmet every 5 years is only $100/year.
or...
You could just buy a Harley. Doo rags last a lot longer than 5 years!

As the old Bell ad said "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".

That's a nice marketing slogan - and there's no argument that many helmets are trash. But inexpensive DOT approved helmets are much better than cheap helmets were 30 years ago. Testing of DOT vs. Snell is a hot topic, but I'm convinced DOT testing is more representative of real life crashes and good, full face helmets are available for less than $200.

When taking the MSF class it was highlighted to replace the helmet every five years. Not only from the foam compressing, but from the drops and nicks you don't remember. The piece of tire that came up and hit your face shield...etc.

Plus in my opinion and experience after five years they get a little stinky and the new ones are lighter.

Finite amount of moisture forced into the foam of a helmet during manufacture. Once 'the clock starts ticking', it lasts about 7 years before becoming either rock-hard (zero protection for your skull) or begins turning to powder (zero protection for your skull).

Arai and Shoei know this all too well, and therefore for liability protection, they warranty their helmets for 5 years from date of sale and 7 years from date of manufacture.

In other words, if an Arai or Shoei helmet has sat on a dealer shelf for 2 years without selling, it gets shipped back to Japan, as the 5 year warranty can no longer be honored.

Obviously, if dropped or damaged, it needs to be swapped out for a new one.

Change helmets every five years, no matter how emotionally attached you are to your lid. Your brain will thank you.

There's only one way to find out if a six year old helmet still protects like new, and I'm not going to be the guy to do it. I figure it's a good feeling to buy a new helmet every five years, it means I never had to use it for it's intended purpose before then!

Back