• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Relay, Fuel Pump, 2000 R1150GS

IBJohn

Lessons Learned:
1: 14 year old fuel pump relays DO go bad.
2: 4 of the relays are the same model number.
3: BMW Dealers shops do not always have your best interests in mind, especially ones which are tagged on to a big Harley Dealer.

The BMW is a 2000 R1150GS with a TourTech 41L gas tank, with over 110,000 miles. Maintenance has been consistently done by the BMW Dealer in Southern Oregon. Farkles have been added to the GS but original BMW electrics are intact. A fuse block has been added to power the added equipment separate from the CanBus system.

The failure occurred 16 miles out of Grand Junction, Colorado on I-70, 800 miles into a 1,000 mile day. Running at 5 over the speed limit, the GS just quits firing and will not restart at the side of the busy freeway. I cannot hear fuel pump noises when the ignition is turned on, which I attribute to the noisy surroundings and my profound hearing loss. Fast forward.... Next day the GS and I are at the service entrance to the HD-bmw shop at 9 AM. Competent service guy says 1 of their 2 BMW techs is in the hospital and the other one has 3 travelers' BMW to deal with first thing but he says they can do a "diagnostic" later in the day.

The next day I find out the "diagnostic" shows that the fuel pump is OK but I need a whole new wiring harness only available from Germany and retails at over $1,800 AND 9 shop hours (at $99 per) for installation. It will be weeks before they can get the part shipped in. I said to the Service Guy that I am guessing the BMW tech really doesn't want to work on my GS.

Fast forward..... Rental car costs to get to my meeting in Denver, rental truck cost to get the GS home (over 1,000 miles), and a lot of ancillary costs and messing about. GS is sitting in my yard on the trailer waiting to go to the local BMW dealer, and I know the fuel pump is not kicking on, so I start tracing the power to the fuel pump. I found that the fuel pump relay and the horn relay are the same so I switch them, turn on the key and the Horn will not honk......huh???? Then I turn on the ignition again and the fuel pump makes it's little purring sound until it gets up to pressure, I push the starter button and the GS fires up!

The dollar decimal place just got moved 2 places to the left, a new BMW relay is a little over $18.00. So I ordered 2 of them, cancelled my local appointment, bulb-greased all the relays, and labeled everything. Now that I have a spare under the seat, it will never happen again.

Moral to the story; if the fuel pump is not kicking on, first switch the horn relay into the fuel pump slot and try again. I had other lessons here, including but not limited to, calling a BMW tech that I trust to help with the diagnostics, if I had called Craig Hansen (or Hansen's Dave) from Colorado, I likely would have ridden the GS home to Southern Oregon instead of that Budget Truck.

Question: Who do you call from the side of the freeway?

John Harelson
Grants Pass, Oregon

Welcome to the forums John.

That is a rough story for sure but with a mostly good ending.
I have no idea how somebody could come to the conclusion that a wiring harness would solve that.

To answer your question though, I'd be getting out the anonymous book first.
There's a very good chance you could have ridden the bike right from where it quit.

Back